Busy mom needs some new recipe suggestions!

Options
Hey all -

Like many of you, I'm CRAZY busy with life in general and am looking for some new ideas on recipes! I need things that are quick to prep, easy (I'm not the best cook!) and that even picky eaters will try. Also, any ideas for make-ahead lunches for work would be great! Thanks and good luck everyone!

Best,
Jen

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hey Jen, I am looking for them as well. I am saviing this. I have some easy ones for you, but I am at work so I will have to post later.

Jenn
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Talapi is really good. It cooks fast, low in calories and it's healthy. My kids love it. You can make a big pot of spagetti sauce with or without a lean meat on the weekend and use it during the week. Couscous instead of rice if you're looking for speed. Not sure about lunches. My kids buy at school. I usually take lean cuisine, fresh fruit and pretzels...just starting getting the 80 cal cheese sticks.
  • HOTMommaG
    HOTMommaG Posts: 4
    Options
    There is this awesome website to check out. I absolutely love it and I've tried several of the recipes. They actually cater well to the busy mom although they don't advertise it as such...

www.skinnytaste.com

She will even send emails when new recipes are added!! I love it!! You could also try www.hungrygirl.com love this one too!!
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    I like these flat pizzas you use flats with fat free ranch with tomatoes spinach and whatever else you want and just stick them in the oven. stuffed kelbasa you take kelbasa slice down the middle so that it opens almost til the bottom and stuff it with either mushrooms or peppers or both fresh! then top with shredded cheese and stick in the oven sprinkle with garlic and wala! I cant think of any other just stick in right now..but you can google recipes by the meat you have too! good luck :)
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    Hey busy mom; Here are some of my kids favs; And one is super picky!!!!
    Monte cristo sandwich. total time prep and make 10 minutes. 2 slices light bread, 1 tsp yellow mustard, 1 oz turkey breast lean, 1/2 oz fat free ham 9 that's 1 slice) 1 slice reduced swiss cheese, or even a wedge of laughing cow, 1/4 cup of egg substitute, and 1 tsp of light butter, Optional: ( but my kids love it....powdered sugar and fruit preserves.

You are gonna make it the way you make grilled cheese...so I lay the buttered bread down on pan...add all my ingredients ( my kids don't like mustard so for them it not on) cover with other bread and grill. Just before you serve cut in a diagonal and spread fruit preserves and sprinkle with powdered sugar. I have the recipe on my page...so feel free to check it out. This recipe is for one so increase to meet your need. entire recipe 232 calories 7 g fat, 25 g protein 3 grams sugar...

BBQ Chicken quesadilla 299 calories for entire recipe; serves one 10 minute prep and about 5 mins to cook
    1 tbsp bbq with about 45 calories per 2 tbsp
    1 wedge of laughing cow
    1 med tortilla high fiber flour about 110 calories
    2 oz cooked and shredded chicken...you could also used the canned chicken to save time
    1 tbsp canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 tbsp of corn thawed from frozen ( my kids love corn...but if not don't use it)
    2 tbsp shredded reduced fat mex blend cheese

Optional dips : ranch or additional bbq

mix the bbq sauce, cheese and blend. lay tortilla flat and spread bbq -cheese mix on half top of tortilla.) with remaining ingredients and set aside. So half of tortilla has mix the other half has nothing

Spray a grill pan with spray and place half loaded tortilla on the pan...cook for 2 mins. using a spatula fold the tortilla in half to cover filling side. Press down to seal carefully flip and grill the other side until both sides are crispy. Once cool enuf to handle slice into wedges and serve with addnl bbq or ranch dressing for dipping.

BBQ chicken nachos: 257 calories total time to cook and prep 10 mins...Best part you get to eat the whole thing!!
    3 oz cooked and shredded skinless chiccken breast
    1.5 tbsp bbq sauce , 45 calores per 2 tbsp, divided
    1 oz 9 about 15) low fat baked tortilla chips

mix chicken with 1 tbsp bbq sauce in a microwave bowl. Heat in the microwave til warm
    lay chips on a microwave safe plate and evenly top with chicken mixture. Heat in microwave another 30 secons until chicken is hot and chip are warm.

Drizzle with remaining BBQ sauce and dig in!

fruity Quesadilla! ( happy 5th of may!) Entire recipe 199 calories, 8 grams protein
    1 med -large high fiber tortilla ( about 110 calories)
    1 wedge of laughing cow light creamy swiss cheese ( my kids love it)
    1/2 cup chopped mango
    spices : ( for adults0 cayenne pepper

lay torilla flat and spread cheese evenly. distribute mango all over one half of the cheese covered tortilla. for adults THIS IS where you sprinkle the cayenne) Fold the cheese only half over the mango half and press to seal forming a quesadilla.

bring a skilled sprayed with nonstick spray to med heat and add quesadilla and cook til outside is crispy.

cut into triangles and enjoy. Ole!!!

Sandwiches:

Open faced chicken salad melt : entire recipe 299 calories. 31 grams of protein serves 1

2 slices light bread
    3 oz about 1/3 cup canned 98% fat free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained and flaked
    1/2 tsp mustard
    1/2 tsp of fat free mayo
    1/4 cup broccoli cole slaw
    squirt of lemon
    dash of chili powder
    black pepper, dash
    2 slices 25 MILK SWISS CHEESE

Lightly toast bread, set aside on a baking dish spray non stick spray

in a bowl combine chicken mustard may cole slaw , lemon juice, chili powder and pepper and mix well
    Even top each slice of bread with chicken mix followed by a slice of cheese. broil til cheese melts

Grilled Cheese N Veggie sandwich : 182 calories 15 g protein, 7 g fiber

2 slices light bread
    2 slices fat free cheddar cheese
    1/4 thinly sliced onion
    2 slices tomato
    6 laves spinach
    1 tsp light whipped butter, divided.
    2 dashes garlic powder, divided

lay brad flat and top with one slice of cheese. Evenly top with onion and tomato and spinach. top with remaining slice of cheese and bread. Evenly spread button on the upward facing slice of bread and sprinkle with dash of garlic power. With buttered side down place sandwich on a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Spread remaining butter on the upward facing slice of bread and sprinkle with garlic powder. . Cook til cheese is melted and bread is slightly brown about 2 -2 mins each side. yummers sandwich!!!
  • gbsngrl
    gbsngrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WOW! You ladies are awesome! Thanks and hope its all going well for you!!