help me loose my arm fat!

Options
denisec26
denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
ok so this is obv. not my only problem area and i do work on the rest of my body but ive come to realize that i LOOK bigger then i used to, not just because i have some extra weight but because my arms are soooo much bigger then they were before i had a baby.

i do cardio and strength, right now ive been doing like 30 min of zumba cardio and ive been doing the 30 day shred. almost done with L3. but none of that seems to help.

my other issue is this- I DONT WANT MY ARMS TO STAY THIS BIG BUT BE MUSCLE. i want them smaller, at least and inch, if not more, then toned. im afraid that the more i do, the more they are just gonna get toned but stay as big, theyll only look better because it wont be flab but i dont want that.

i nee some stuff to do but please keep in mind- i really dont have alot of upper body strength so i cant do crazy stuff, i also cant do it for an hr straight a day, i need simple effective things that i can do at home before or after my cardio. i also only have 3 lb weights. and for anyone doing the 30 day shred, i find all the arm strength workouts realllllly hard. that should give u an idea of what im cabable of.
thanks!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    my arms are bigger since pregnancy as well. WTF!? Just keep doing your cardio, and keep doing your weights. Muscle burns fat so any muscle you gain in your arms will burn the fat & make them smaller & toned. I'm currently doing chalean extreme & i have a feeling this will work. I also run 3x a week.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise!
    My arms are the only part of my body that I am happy with at the moment--but I did start with relatively small arms. That being said, I'd stick to cardio for now, I love TaeBo. And then, once you've lost the weight do more strength training. I may be completely wrong, but the only waqy to start seeing definition is to remove the fat first. Strength Training is fantastic--I'm a big fan of push-ups--but I think if you do that now your arms may look bigger. I may be completely wrong, just my personal opinion.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    try finding some arm exercises and do with a light weight and hi repetitions - initially you will build some muscle then you will burn some fat and reduce the size

hope this helps
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Add some weights to your regular regiment. Work outs like 30 Day Shred should help. You don't have to be concerned about bulking up your arms with muscle unless you are working out 4-6 hours a day and including special supplements to get bigger.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Push-ups work well for me. I didn't think they would...i thought they would make my arms bigger, but after first doing what they call ladies push-up for a while, I finally worked my way up to regular push-up and now can do about 30 per day in sets of 10. I have noticed my arms have slimmed down some and i now have definition in my chest and neck area.
  • Mistykelly
    Mistykelly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, when I started turbo Fire I started to notice a difference. I think it is the punching they have you do. Whether it is punching toward the ceiling when moving body from side to side or front while kicking opposite leg or during squats. No matter what we are doing we are always punching. I am not building muscle just burning fat off of them. It takes time but it does work faster then working with weights and they are not bulking up. Good Luck!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
    Don't worry about low weight/high reps.
    Go ahead and lift an amount of weight that is challenging to you, it won't make you bulky. It's gonna burn more calories and help you progress much faster.
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    I wear 1lb weighted gloves when I do cardio such as my long distance walks and TurboFire. I also play tennis and that really tones my arms. I have a long way to go with my journey, but, I do see the difference in my arms. They have gone down 3 inches each from 18" down to 15". I still want to get rid of an additional 3 per arm but I am making great progress.
  • princess4mimi
    princess4mimi Posts: 192
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I havent done anything specifically to target my arms, but I use the cross trainer, and sometimes I workout my arms harder than my legs. Yesterday I discovered biceps - OMG!!!!!!

How about whilst watching telly, just starting out with a can of beans (or similar) in each hand, and just doing bicep curls etc with them to start with and work up from there?
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    Weights are a must. Pushups are great too. It's hard for women to "bulk up" through weight lifting, so I wouldn't worry about that!!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Push-ups work well for me. I didn't think they would...i thought they would make my arms bigger, but after first doing what they call ladies push-up for a while, I finally worked my way up to regular push-up and now can do about 30 per day in sets of 10. I have noticed my arms have slimmed down some and i now have definition in my chest and neck area.

I second this. Pushups worked wonders for my back, shoulders, arms and abs!
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose fat is to be in calorie deficit. No specific exercise will target weight loss from a specific part of the body. Anyone telling you otherwise is misinformed and merely perpetuating one of the worst and most frequently given pieces of advice in the fitness world.

If you're currently losing weight then keep up the good work, you'll see the difference eventually.

Also, doing resistance exercise does not necessarily involve increasing muscle mass, so do not be scared of lifting "heavy" (by that I mean what someone else rightly called "challenging") weights.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    30 DS helped tone my arms a little but P90X is doing wonders for them. I highly recommend it.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When strength training make sure you are going slow & steady. Try to flex your muscle as well when you are lifting. You will get better results.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose fat is to be in calorie deficit. No specific exercise will target weight loss from a specific part of the body. Anyone telling you otherwise is misinformed and merely perpetuating one of the worst and most frequently given pieces of advice in the fitness world.

If you're currently losing weight then keep up the good work, you'll see the difference eventually.

Also, doing resistance exercise does not necessarily involve increasing muscle mass, so do not be scared of lifting "heavy" (by that I mean what someone else rightly called "challenging") weights.

I have to correct you. The only way to lose weight is to be in a calorie deficit. Its not necessarily fat you are losing. You can be losing muscle. Thats why weighing on a scale isn't a good idea.