New Runner - have questions

QueenofCups
QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I am on week 4 of couch to 5k, and I guess I just thought I would be better at running by now, but the 3 minute section of running is still murder on me- never mind the 5 minute.

So here are my questions:

*Is it normal for me to feel like I can't get enough oxygen when I am running?
*Is it normal to feel like I am about to burst into flames? (I have the a/c and a ceiling fan on when I run on the treadmill, AND I am in only shorts and a sports bra. :( )
*How fast am I supposed to be running? I can only go max 4.5 mph. Any faster and my legs can't keep up OR I really can't breathe.

And lastly - should I still be having difficulty after all this time?? :(

Replies

• soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Why don't you try slowing down. You might be pushing yourself too hard. When i started i focused more on time than speed. Eventually speed will come.
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    I feel exactly the same way you do. Plus I get terrible shin splints. I have gone to the running store, gotten my stride evaluated, got special running shoes, still terrible shin splints. I would like to know too what to do to make it better.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I had gotten up to week 7 before spraining my ankle. I would suggest try running outside. It's completely different. Don't worry about speed yet. Get the endurance then work on the speed. I wear a HRM and personally try to keep my heart rate below 175. If I get higher, I slow down or walk. I also repeated weeks when I didn't feel like I was quite ready for the next step.

Finally, I didn't feel like I was really improving until I did Week 5 Day 3. Once you hit that 20 minutes straight run, you'll feel like you really accomplished something.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I'd slow down a little until your endurance builds up a bit.
    4.5 is pretty slow and at that pace of slow jogging, a fast walk would burn just as many calories without jarring your body.
    Drop to 4.0 mph and see if you can walk at that pace.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Runnersworld.com is an awesome site w/ lots of good articles for newbies. One I found is this one: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--2201-0,00.html

The right pace would be one in which you can still hold a conversation comfortably with someone. That's the easiest gauge to use, rather than calculating timing of your mile, etc.

Have fun on the trails!
  • sbilyeu75
    I feel exactly the same way you do. Plus I get terrible shin splints. I have gone to the running store, gotten my stride evaluated, got special running shoes, still terrible shin splints. I would like to know too what to do to make it better.

Have you researched barefoot running? I had shin splints, heel pain and knee pain until I looked into it and got some Vibrams.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Hi! I am on week 4 of couch to 5k, and I guess I just thought I would be better at running by now, but the 3 minute section of running is still murder on me- never mind the 5 minute.

So here are my questions:

*Is it normal for me to feel like I can't get enough oxygen when I am running?
    *Is it normal to feel like I am about to burst into flames? (I have the a/c and a ceiling fan on when I run on the treadmill, AND I am in only shorts and a sports bra. :( )
    *How fast am I supposed to be running? I can only go max 4.5 mph. Any faster and my legs can't keep up OR I really can't breathe.

And lastly - should I still be having difficulty after all this time?? :(

It sounds as though you are trying to go too quickly. You should be able to talk in brief sentences while running. Like "I'm fine thanks", but not "If I don't get off this treadmill soon I will either spontaneously combust or faint." :noway:

It is normal to feel quite warm, yes. I sweat like a farm animal and always have. I leave puddles around machines in gyms. :sad:

So slow down and see if that helps. It's possible that for you, at this stage of fitness, C25K is too challenging. If so, maybe look at the Jeff Galloway run/walk programs.
  • QueenofCups
    Thanks for the kind replies. :)
    As far as fitness level - I thought I was fairly fit. I mean, I have been working out for over 2 yrs. I never was good at running and jumping, though. I can do aerobics, but running is difficult. And talking during running? Yeah right! No way can I do that.
    Does me being 5'4" have something to do with not being able to run faster on the treadmill?

I feel so self-conscious jogging in public. :( I just don't know if I can do it. Even if I was able to (I am a stay at home Mom).
  • sbilyeu75
    I'm 5'3" and I average 4.7 with the Walk/Run. I'm a SAHM too and I just do it when my husband is home. As far as being self-conscience, I don't know how you could look sillier than I do. I'm sporting my Droid, headphones, HRM, Vibrams and Camelbak. I'm pretty silly looking with my jog, but I can't hear what anyone says. Also, at least you're doing something, most people that would see you isn't doing anything to get in shape anyway.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    i did c25k and every part of it was hard even the first day when you only have to run for a minute or something:) I would try slowing down or go back and do the week over until you feel comfortable. Its really ok to take your time. But don't give up! Its soooo worth sticking it out.
  • I'm about to start week 3 tonight and I'm nervous about doing 3 minutes as well. I run outside and I don't know if that helps or not but I don't run real fast. I focus on breathing in through my nose for about 3-4 steps then out through my mouth for 3 -4 steps. Rinse and repeat. I find this helps me NOT focus on how long I have to run lol and also to help with not feeling like I'm going to pass out!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    When I first started running last year I started with walking and eventually just found my body wanted to run - at the 4.0 mph threshold it was actually easier than trying to walk that speed. Over time running became more comfortable and felt natural, but when it was new it felt reaaally awkward. I recommend what others have already said - slow down until your pace feels more comfortable and you can feel the different rhythm of running. Speed will come.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Thanks for the kind replies. :)
    As far as fitness level - I thought I was fairly fit. I mean, I have been working out for over 2 yrs. I never was good at running and jumping, though. I can do aerobics, but running is difficult. And talking during running? Yeah right! No way can I do that.
    Does me being 5'4" have something to do with not being able to run faster on the treadmill?

I feel so self-conscious jogging in public. :( I just don't know if I can do it. Even if I was able to (I am a stay at home Mom).

queen-do not be self conscious running. Just do it. There are people of all shapes and sizes running. Most runners will welcome new runners. The people in their cars stuffing their faces with donuts are the one's who maybe saying something...what the heck do they know. You are working at becoming an athlete and yes...starting to run hurts and is a slow process. But, once you make it past the first hurdles, you are there. 10 years ago, I could not run beyond 4 miles...Sunday, I ran a 9 mile race then went out on a marathon course to run with friends back in. 15 miles...no big whup.

"The miracle is not that I finished, but that I had the courage to start at all."-John Bingham.
  • VStar55
    VStar55 Posts: 75
    Slow down. Your body may not be on the same time frame as your mind. It's ok to go slow, if you're consistent your body will gradually allow increases in exertion and intensity. As for running outside, I'd wager most of the people that notice you on a run either wish they were running or are in awe of you. Keep in mind that very few people can even run a mile with out stopping to catch their breath.
  • QueenofCups
    I'm 5'3" and I average 4.7 with the Walk/Run. I'm a SAHM too and I just do it when my husband is home. As far as being self-conscience, I don't know how you could look sillier than I do. I'm sporting my Droid, headphones, HRM, Vibrams and Camelbak. I'm pretty silly looking with my jog, but I can't hear what anyone says. Also, at least you're doing something, most people that would see you isn't doing anything to get in shape anyway.

My husband is hit or miss on support with the kids. he's great when he can be, but every night -not so much. So to stick to a program is difficult unless I do it during the day during nap times - which is also becoming more difficult since the kids are 2 and 3 and starting not to nap anymore. But I might be able to make it work.
    I know its silly to care what other people think. But I seriously think that if anyone looks at me (on a regular basis, not just when I am exercising) they are judging me and how fat I am. Its a sickness. I know this.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Keep up the good work with the C25K, the program really does work... Like other posters said, you might want to slow down and focus on the time.... increasing your pace will come with it as you get more used to running. I started running in Feb, did my first 5K in March (5 weeks into the program) and just did my 2nd 5K this past weekend.... my running fitness level improved so much, I dropped 3 minutes off of my overall time... without even really focusing on increasing my pace that much.
    How many kids do you have? How old are they? I have two kids, a 4.5 year old and an almost 2 year old. When my older child is in school, I jog with my younger one in a single jogger. When I have both with me, I run with them in a double jogger- it's a harder workout, but that is nice for the calorie burn, too.
  • QueenofCups
    I have 2 kids, they are 2 and 3. I do have a jogging stroller. I will take them for walks, but still having a hard time feeling comfortable jogging....will get there eventually I hope.
  • sbilyeu75

My husband is hit or miss on support with the kids. he's great when he can be, but every night -not so much. So to stick to a program is difficult unless I do it during the day during nap times - which is also becoming more difficult since the kids are 2 and 3 and starting not to nap anymore. But I might be able to make it work.
    I know its silly to care what other people think. But I seriously think that if anyone looks at me (on a regular basis, not just when I am exercising) they are judging me and how fat I am. Its a sickness. I know this.

Well, you should be running about every other night, not every night. So there's half the battle. My daughter is 3, I have been running with her before with her in the jogging stroller. I will admit, it's not easy, it messes up your stride. But on the other hand, when you do get to go without them, then it will seem so much easier.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    It sounds like you are chest breathing, which is why you are getting out of breath. You need to breathe from your diaphragm, right down below your ribs. It helps to think of it as splatting - your abdomen should feel like it goes soft and flabby when you breath in, or rather, the action of relaxing your abdomen causes to breath to flow in, so your breathing isn't a conscious effort.

I can't run indoors! I would get far too hot. I have to do it outside in minimal clothing.
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    Great thread! I just started running and I signed up for my first 5k and after the first few days of running I'm thinking this is going to be more difficult than I thought. My time is about 12min per mile which sounds horrible. I hope to reach 10min per mile by the time of the 5k which is 6/5/11. Training tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.