What to do when hungry?

Options
Is it better to not eat in the evening if you don't have any calories to spare (even if you'll still be up for 4ish more hours) or should you eat something and try to do better tomorrow?

I thought I read that it's better not to eat because you're trying to shrink your stomach to a healthier size. Did I make that up?!

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This should be fun.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    littletail wrote: »
    Is it better to not eat in the evening if you don't have any calories to spare (even if you'll still be up for 4ish more hours) or should you eat something and try to do better tomorrow?

I thought I read that it's better not to eat because you're trying to shrink your stomach to a healthier size. Did I make that up?!

dsdsdsds.gif
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes you made that up. If you're worried about calories, eat then go for a walk. Four hours is plenty of time
  • TWMCVKnight
    TWMCVKnight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been up mindlessly reading old MyFitPal posts tonight and one that stuck with me was a re-post of Bob Harper's "Skinny Rules." If you didn't know, Bob Harper is one of the coaches on the Biggest Loser. Anyways, one of his rules was to always go to bed hungry.
    Harper:
    "If you skip that midnight snack, your body will “burn fat like crazy,” Harper writes. After five hours without food, you’ll start burning your own fat and sugar. Further, it may even help you sleep better, since having fewer carbs in your bloodsteam allows your body to produce the hormones it needs to bring on sleep."

It's not something I practice at the moment though I think it might be worth a little research.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts as well!
  • littletail
    Options
    This should be fun.

Well aren't you a peach.

I liked the GIF though :)

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This should be fun.

Well aren't you a peach.

I liked the GIF though :)

Thank you :blush:
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I say don't eat. This is the strategy I live by lol (I don't mean ever, just near the end of the day). But yeah. Learn to love the feeling of hunger.

....you crazy
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just go out for a walk, eat a slice of bread & fruit.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I say don't eat. This is the strategy I live by lol (I don't mean ever, just near the end of the day). But yeah. Learn to love the feeling of hunger.

you shouldn't need to learn to love the feeling of hunger. that's a bit disordered thinking... also OP if you're really hungry then drink some water or low calorie drink and eat a snack of some sort. like veggies with salsa or hummus or bean dip or something, piece of fruit and some toast, couple handfuls of kettle corn/popcorn, or even sugarfree jello. and if you're really concerned about going over, just go for a walk. even a 20-30 min one would be nice and doable within that time span.
  • littletail
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I've been up mindlessly reading old MyFitPal posts tonight and one that stuck with me was a re-post of Bob Harper's "Skinny Rules." If you didn't know, Bob Harper is one of the coaches on the Biggest Loser. Anyways, one of his rules was to always go to bed hungry.
    Harper:
    "If you skip that midnight snack, your body will “burn fat like crazy,” Harper writes. After five hours without food, you’ll start burning your own fat and sugar. Further, it may even help you sleep better, since having fewer carbs in your bloodsteam allows your body to produce the hormones it needs to bring on sleep."

It's not something I practice at the moment though I think it might be worth a little research.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts as well!

You will "burn fat like crazy" because you consumed fewer calories than if you had indulged in the snack.

As for the sleep, a quick search is showing that the opposite is true: carbs help you get to sleep. Google even shows a scientific study, but I am having troubles accessing it right now, so I can't read the abstract. Besides Harper's questionable logic, a lot of people have trouble sleeping genuinely hungry.

In answer to the OP, I would evaluate if I am hungry or just bored, drink water or tea and wait 20-30 minutes and then if I am still hungry, I would consider a snack that still leaves me under or at maintenance.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As for the sleep, a quick search is showing that the opposite is true: carbs help you get to sleep. Google even shows a scientific study, but I am having troubles accessing it right now, so I can't read the abstract. Besides Harper's questionable logic, a lot of people have trouble sleeping genuinely hungry.

This. It is also an excellent precursor to some serious midnight snacking when you finally snap and give in to your hunger.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

dsdsdsds.gif

*like*