Why Does Alpen Light List 2 Different Calorie Amounts? Is It Legal?

Options
Ok, so this has been bugging me for a while. Alpen Light cereal bars - they're low-sugar, delicious, and low calorie, and I absolutely love 'em. But here's the thing: on the front of the box, it clearly shows they contain 70 calories a bar. But on the back of the box, it lists the calorie content as 65 calories a bar. Although previous versions have indicated it is *less* than 70 calories, the bars I buy are the same as in the picture - it says they are 70 per bar.

I know it's only a 5-calorie discrepancy, but it irks me. It makes me feel like I can't trust the calorie content on packaging. Which, if either, is accurate? Is it legal to provide two conflicting calorie contents for one product on one box? (In the EU and UK, where I am, you have to list all calorie content on all packaged food). What's going on here?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've never seen two different calorie counts on the packaging for the same food unless it's one for the item unprepared and one for after you add the extra ingredients needed to prepare it.

I know in the U.S. that manufacturers are allowed to round down to the nearest 5 calories (if the item is under 100 calories) or 10 calories (if over 100 calories) but I don't get why any manufacturer would want to list two different amounts on the packaging for their product.
  • Especially when the amount they advertise is higher! Yeah, I'm really confused too. Interesting info about rounding, though, thanks :) I'm not sure if we do that here - a lot of the food I eat comes in at very un-round numbers, so it might not be a common thing.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I would assume that it is purely a design decision. They probably use the same print across multiple products, and some other flavours might be closer or precisely 70 calories per bar. It's cheaper to just have one design across the board. The actual nutritional facts are on the dedicated label on the back of the box.
  • Nope, checked that too - there are 6 different flavours of Alpen Light - 3 are 65 calories (Cherry Bakewell, Fudge& Chocolate, Double Chocolate), 1 is 64 calories (Summer Fruits), 1 is 63 calories (Apple & Sultana) and 1 is 62 calories (Lemon Drizzle). Not a single one of them is over 65 calories. The mystery continues!