Which way should i go?

Options
Hey!

So im 5ft 11, 250lbs, looking to lose 100lbs.
I understand all this deficit stuff, and ive been watching my macros.

My end goal is to compete in a bikin fitness competiton, Im working out 5 days a week, cardio and strength training. 20 minutes of cardio a day, and 40 minutes of strength, i do that one twice a day so 80 minutes in total.

My question is, do i focus on losing the weight and then tailor my diet to what a bikini model would eat and exercise or do i just do it now as id probably lose weight anyway?

Im worried that if i eat as strict as they do now and workout so much that once ive lose 100lbs il have nowhere to go, does that make sense?

Im eating between 1500-1700 calories with the occasional cheats, im looking to cut any cheats out though, or do i allow them for now and cut them later?

Im just worried that if its too strict then i'll hit a plateu and have nowhere to go.

Any help would be great, this is going to be a typical day of eating for me so please take a look and tell me if im way off....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/SianLouise185?date=2014-12-12

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Given that you've got a lot of weight to lose I have a feeling that the concerns are a bit pre-emptive.

Given that you've got the intake sorted, this appears to be more about the training than anything else, although personally I find the whole cheat day mindset a bit baffling. Eat to train, and if you go over cals then recognise that, equally if you go under then recognise that as well. Both will have an impact on your outcomes. Calling it a cheat day is a distraction from just taking responsibility for your intake.

It's not clear what your proposed rate of weight loss is, but I'd suggest a change in focus towards body composition and away from weight loss per se.

It would be useful to understand what sort of resistance training and CV work you're doing, to help understand whether they're helping you or not. To be honest a time based session on both of thoe doesn't sound all that useful, so you've probably got a lot more mileage from looking at your training.

Is the 100 minutes per day a constraint, equally why are you doing it in two blocks of 40 minutes and a 20 minute session?

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing? I think most people who line up with your goal lift heavy and do more moderate cardio work, but I could be wrong.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about what you're doing now hindering what you'll be able to do later, at least not in terms of being able to lose weight. I'm a big proponent of doing now what you would need to do to maintain the figure and physique you want later. Your body will regulate itself (in other words you'll lose faster now and slower as you get close to goal) and as long as you continue increasing the intensity of your workouts as you get more fit you shouldn't plateau.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of doing what you want to do before you are there. By that I mean - I am out doing Spartan Races and training for them and tweaking race nutrition before I am at my goal weight. From my understanding bikini modeling takes a ton of dedication and is along the lines of body building. So learning and understanding how they do that now, may help keep you motivated in your journey. Learn about their nutrition and exercise programs - but also tailor it to suit your current state. So obviously you will be eating more calories, etc.

You said you were worried about being too strict and hitting a plateau - that is part of weight loss. The best way to avoid this is to experience it and find what works and doesn't work for you. Trial and error is your best friend and motivator.

Best of luck!
  • SianLouise185
    Options
    Given that you've got a lot of weight to lose I have a feeling that the concerns are a bit pre-emptive.

Given that you've got the intake sorted, this appears to be more about the training than anything else, although personally I find the whole cheat day mindset a bit baffling. Eat to train, and if you go over cals then recognise that, equally if you go under then recognise that as well. Both will have an impact on your outcomes. Calling it a cheat day is a distraction from just taking responsibility for your intake.

It's not clear what your proposed rate of weight loss is, but I'd suggest a change in focus towards body composition and away from weight loss per se.

It would be useful to understand what sort of resistance training and CV work you're doing, to help understand whether they're helping you or not. To be honest a time based session on both of thoe doesn't sound all that useful, so you've probably got a lot more mileage from looking at your training.

Is the 100 minutes per day a constraint, equally why are you doing it in two blocks of 40 minutes and a 20 minute session?

I dont have a day dedicated to cheating but yeah occasionally i go over, i want to cut the treats out though.

I do my exercise in sets of minutes like that because its easier to fit around my work.

At the minute im doing 40-50 minutes of Bodyweight and calisthenics, although if i can i get into the gym and lift.

Then in the evening i repeat this and add 20 minutes of cardio in.

Im looking to lose 100lbs by the end of next year although i realise it may take a while longer.

I guess im just unsure as to whether i should concentrate on just loosing the weight now and the rest later, or just follow a 'bikini plan' from the start?

• SianLouise185
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    What kind of strength training are you doing? I think most people who line up with your goal lift heavy and do more moderate cardio work, but I could be wrong.

At the moment im doing a mix of lifting, cardio. Bodyweight and calisthenics but ive no idea if im getting it right or wrong.. clueless here!
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Why are you lifting twice a day? What is your strength training routine like?
  • jmoulder
    jmoulder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe in small, manageable and attainable goals. I think "cheating" or allowing yourself some slack once in a while is normal, realistic and perfectly okay....if you know you can have indulgences from time to time, you are less likely to feel deprived and fall off the wagon. Just my thoughts/experience. I take my weight loss/goals 5-10 pounds or 1-2 months at a time - then celebrate the successes and plan from there.
  • SianLouise185
    Options
    holyfenix wrote: »
    Why are you lifting twice a day? What is your strength training routine like?

If i lift in one (usually stronglifts and working my way around a gym for 40 minutes) i'll do Bodyweight and calisthenics in the other, ocassionally il switch running with swimming too.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you are doing stronglifts I would recommend just doing that and adding in the accessory lifts he advises. I believe its pull ups on Deadlift day and dips and planks on bench press day. No need to do stronglifts and later in the day body weight exercises. Seems excessive.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Im looking to lose 100lbs by the end of next year although i realise it may take a while longer.

That's pretty agressive, and in many ways unlikely to be sustainable, though given your objectives it's understandable that you'll want to lose the weight rapidly.

It may be worth putting in some interim objectives, to help motivate yourself and develop your training. I'd also suggest using a structured resistance training plan, and probably something that structures your CV work as well. It sounds as if you're a bit aimless at the moment in both, and hamster-wheeling is very tedious.

Personally I focus on running performance, and that's how I measure progress. Weight is very much secondary to me, although given your goals it's something that you'll be somewhat more focussed on.

Commonly recommended programmes on here are New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5X5. You'll get there with bodyweight but it's a lot slower and requires a fair degree of technical ability that just lifting weight doesn't need.

similarly as far as CV is concerned, something like a C25K plan will get you to 30 minutes of noderate intensity work three times a week, which is probably about as much as you'll need.
  • SianLouise185
    Options

That's pretty agressive, and in many ways unlikely to be sustainable, though given your objectives it's understandable that you'll want to lose the weight rapidly.

It may be worth putting in some interim objectives, to help motivate yourself and develop your training. I'd also suggest using a structured resistance training plan, and probably something that structures your CV work as well. It sounds as if you're a bit aimless at the moment in both, and hamster-wheeling is very tedious.

Personally I focus on running performance, and that's how I measure progress. Weight is very much secondary to me, although given your goals it's something that you'll be somewhat more focussed on.

Commonly recommended programmes on here are New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5X5. You'll get there with bodyweight but it's a lot slower and requires a fair degree of technical ability that just lifting weight doesn't need.

similarly as far as CV is concerned, something like a C25K plan will get you to 30 minutes of noderate intensity work three times a week, which is probably about as much as you'll need.

Ok, im starting to learn more now, thanks! I've lost about 10 percent of my end goal although i know its going to slow down alot now, if it takes 2 years i dont care its just the end goal!
  • SianLouise185
    Options
    If you are doing stronglifts I would recommend just doing that and adding in the accessory lifts he advises. I believe its pull ups on Deadlift day and dips and planks on bench press day. No need to do stronglifts and later in the day body weight exercises. Seems excessive.

Thanks for the advice, i'll plan it out a bit better!
  • SianLouise185
    Options
    jmoulder wrote: »
    I believe in small, manageable and attainable goals. I think "cheating" or allowing yourself some slack once in a while is normal, realistic and perfectly okay....if you know you can have indulgences from time to time, you are less likely to feel deprived and fall off the wagon. Just my thoughts/experience. I take my weight loss/goals 5-10 pounds or 1-2 months at a time - then celebrate the successes and plan from there.

Yeah agreed its just personally i dont know when to stop and i eat way to much so im just going to avoid it altogether for awhile, As far as goals are concerned i agree, i do it the same way, one big goal broken up into lots of little ones :)
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Depends on what your goal is, if you want to progress in lifting and calisthenics then it's beneficial.
  • SianLouise185
    Options
    Thanks guys ill give it a go x
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options

Ok, im starting to learn more now, thanks! I've lost about 10 percent of my end goal although i know its going to slow down alot now, if it takes 2 years i dont care its just the end goal!

I like your attitude about it! :)

I also started with around 100 pounds to go. After approximately seven months, I have lost around 45 pounds. By the year mark, I hope to be down another 30 and at goal at 1 1/2-2 years.

It feels like forever at points, but totally worth it. I have a lot of NSVs and keep getting stronger and healthier due to lots of exercise and eating right.

My goals during this process are to never feel restricted (most things okay in moderation) and to only work out in ways that seem maintainable long term. In other words, I'm trying for a lifestyle change so that I don't gain it all back afterward.
  • SianLouise185
    Options

I like your attitude about it! :)

I also started with around 100 pounds to go. After approximately seven months, I have lost around 45 pounds. By the year mark, I hope to be down another 30 and at goal at 1 1/2-2 years.

It feels like forever at points, but totally worth it. I have a lot of NSVs and keep getting stronger and healthier due to lots of exercise and eating right.

My goals during this process are to never feel restricted (most things okay in moderation) and to only work out in ways that seem maintainable long term. In other words, I'm trying for a lifestyle change so that I don't gain it all back afterward.

Thank you! Yeah it took me a long time for it to sink in that this wasn't a quick fix but a lifestyle change, but now i really enjoy it! Well done on your weight loss, sounds like you did and are doing a great job :) keep it up!