Ladies....bulk or lean?

Options
Would you rather have a bulkier muscular look or a lean muscular look?
I'm trying to decide between the two. When I first started my fitness journey I was doing a lot of cardio (C25K) and Jillian Michaels and my brother's track workouts and had a very lean look. Since starting a bodybuilding program, I've obviously started to bulk up which I don't mind, I love my muscles but I have to ask the question to all you out there who are into fitness. Bulk or lean?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Do you have pictures of examples of what you mean in mind?
    Without, I'd lean towards a bulkier lower half and a leaner torso. Somewhere in the middle.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like to let my muscles show, I'm proud of them, but I don't want to look like a competitive body builder, either. My body doesn't do the "lean" look, I'm short and I muscle up easily. So, put me down for some nice definition without the scary "cut" look.
  • naomiprioleau
    naomiprioleau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here's me at the end of September (right) and me....early November after starting a bodybuilding program.1kuk7fchhi1v.jpg
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    through what i have researched, it's pretty hard for women to bulk.. women who do (bodybuilders) are normally using steroids and stuff... i lift with a bunch guys, and alot of times, they challenge me to lift as heavy as possible (without getting hurt)- i was super stoked when i was able to squat 250 (free weights- not the smith machine!) so ever since then, i lift as heavy as possible (like i said, without getting hurt!) ii also tend to "look bulky" - i have pretty broad shoulders because i do a lot of water activities like surfing and paddling, and i am also pretty short so nothing is really "long" on me (which is why when i was much heavier i looked really fat LOL) however, i would also that i leaned out... im 10 lbs over what my original goal weight was, but im down to a size 2... i guess, i want to look solid, i want to look like someone not be messed with! :# im proud of my muscles, i would like the world to know about it!!(:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    You look great. I like the lean look myself with definition.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Lean is for me! I already have a strange "runners athlete" build. And I really don't like it but its what God gave me!

I like a woman to look toned, with definition and an overall healthy and vibrant look.

Bulk has it place and is certainly something that makes me jealous! I don't want to work that hard.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can't "bulk up" we women don't have the testosterone that men do, You have beautiful muscle definition! I would give heaven and earth to have those biceps! Be proud. Not all women can put that kind of muscle on! I would rather have great muscle definition and be toned and tight any day! I'm doing Body Beast right now at 56 and I love it! Keep doing what you're doing! It looks amazing!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    IMHO if the picture on the right is before and the pic on the left is after, you've leaned out. Maintained muscle while lowering BF%, not "bulked up".
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    IMHO if the picture on the right is before and the pic on the left is after, you've leaned out. Maintained muscle while lowering BF%, not "bulked up".

This.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, leaner is almost always better.

But regardless, both are subjective, so what I picture as lean may or may not be the same as what you think of, or what someone else might think.

Ultimately, if you want to be leaner, get leaner. If you want to be bigger, get bigger. Reevaluate as you go, and tweak your routine and your diet as necessary.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Lean is sexy as all heck and looks killer in pretty much any outfit. Lean all the way!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yup. You've definitely become leaner.

So maybe you're asking if we prefer a "softer" look vs. a more defined muscular look?

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    To me the pic on the left is lean. That's the look I would be going for.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I want people to see me in everyday attire and know that I lift. I'm never going to build huge Arnold muscles, so why not push it to see what strong looks like on me. I've yet to hear anyone tell me strong shoulders and cocktail dresses don't mesh. Agreed, though, I also think you're asking "soft" vs muscular because you look leaner and awesome in the recent pic (though both are good).
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I prefer lean and toned for me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    "Lean" is a (vague) measure of body fat. To be lean is to have a low body fat percentage, regardless of muscle.

That said, there is a middle ground between cardio and bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is, specifically, a program designed to put on muscle mass (hypertrophy). The whole point of bodybuilding is to "bulk up" (to the extent that women can do so, which as mentioned, is nowhere near the amount that men can, and even then, it does not happen by accident or overnight).

There is another form of lifting that isn't focused on hypertrophy so much -- powerlifting. To the outsider, powerlifting and bodybuilding may look the same, but the differences are important. It's possible to be big without being (comparatively) strong, and it's possible to be strong without being big. In powerlifting, strength comes first, and size is a product of a high level of strength. In bodybuilding, size is first, and strength is a product of what it takes to get that size. Likewise, the routines and diet -- especially at advanced levels -- reflect that.

In either case, though, you'll be hard-pressed to gain much muscle (beyond newbie gains) if you're eating in a caloric deficit. Building muscle takes energy, and if you're not giving your body the energy it needs to build muscle, it's not going to.

Also, meet Staci, the lean, mean, powerlifting beast.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    "Lean" is a (vague) measure of body fat. To be lean is to have a low body fat percentage, regardless of muscle.

That said, there is a middle ground between cardio and bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is, specifically, a program designed to put on muscle mass (hypertrophy). The whole point of bodybuilding is to "bulk up" (to the extent that women can do so, which as mentioned, is nowhere near the amount that men can, and even then, it does not happen by accident or overnight).

There is another form of lifting that isn't focused on hypertrophy so much -- powerlifting. To the outsider, powerlifting and bodybuilding may look the same, but the differences are important. It's possible to be big without being (comparatively) strong, and it's possible to be strong without being big. In powerlifting, strength comes first, and size is a product of a high level of strength. In bodybuilding, size is first, and strength is a product of what it takes to get that size. Likewise, the routines and diet -- especially at advanced levels -- reflect that.

In either case, though, you'll be hard-pressed to gain much muscle (beyond newbie gains) if you're eating in a caloric deficit. Building muscle takes energy, and if you're not giving your body the energy it needs to build muscle, it's not going to.

Also, meet Staci, the lean, mean, powerlifting beast.

Brilliantly said!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think you look gorgeous! And I do think you've gained a little muscle, and also shed some fat that was covering the muscle, so the muscles look more defined. I don't think you are bulky at all. Did you happen to do measurements before and after? You arm doesn't look bigger, just more defined. That's my goal, to look lean, strong and healthy. Well done!
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Either way.. I want to feel like I can kick someones butt!