PUT DOWN THE CHOCOLATE

Options
2»

Replies

• drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OMG--I am right there with you! I teach and the three weeks from Thanksgiving until Christmas break are AWFUL--goodies out the wazoo. I got a big jar of homemade fudge from a former student-so delicious. In the teacher's lounge right now is a big canister of english toffee, a big tub of cheese popcorn (that I don't like, so no biggie there), and huge cookie cake from Mrs Field's. It's really hard. I have gained back two pounds in the past two weeks. Add to that the lack of working out due to Christmas-related events-UGH. I think we just have to stop. There is nothing magic, no special incantation that's going to make it so--just NO. I think deciding what is worth the calories helps--for me, I ate some fudge but none of the greasy stale popcorn or the stale Mrs Field's cookie.
    But yes, really really hard!!!!!!
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just eat a few pieces and enjoy it!
    They should not last long in the break room anyway, something about free food that people cannot resist..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Our work is crammed with foods, mostly very fattening ones. I just keep chewing gum and drinking water or coffee and telling myself "look how pretty and slender you are now. Would you throw that away for 5 minutes spent eating this junk?" I also do not look at the foods. I physically keep away. It works.... it may seem a bit grim but it's so much better than ruining your progress!
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    use a hot glue gun to turn all candy and treats into immortal christmas wreaths. Finish with a clear sealant. Paint if desired.

Adding glitter and embellishments is also fun.

you are a sick individual
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    In for the 8 million responses that say you can eat chocolate and stay under your calorie goals. That didn't get old like 15 years ago....

As a fellow non-will-power-possessing mortal, I feel your pain. Try to make them fit into your calories, or pay penance for your sins by 12 hours of elliptical!

But isn't that what you just did?

Also, treating exercise as a penance for eating is not a healthy way to look at food or exercise.

^Agreed, I still struggle with my relationship with food and not punishing myself after eating it
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    In for the 8 million responses that say you can eat chocolate and stay under your calorie goals. That didn't get old like 15 years ago....

As a fellow non-will-power-possessing mortal, I feel your pain. Try to make them fit into your calories, or pay penance for your sins by 12 hours of elliptical!

Also, treating exercise as a penance for eating is not a healthy way to look at food or exercise.

I guess what I was trying to communicate is, you usually get a billion responses that try to brag about how the poster eats whatever they want, like it's not old news, and they usually post in a sarcastic tone. I was trying to not sound like an a-hole, but rather be encouraging and acknowledge that we're all pretty aware of logging our calories (hence being on this site). Surface level, yeah, I totally contradicted myself.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    And the penance comment was intended to be humorous. Apologies. I've really done a bad, bad thing in this forum.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I guess what I was trying to communicate is, you usually get a billion responses that try to brag about how the poster eats whatever they want, like it's not old news, and they usually post in a sarcastic tone. I was trying to not sound like an a-hole, but rather be encouraging and acknowledge that we're all pretty aware of logging our calories (hence being on this site). Surface level, yeah, I totally contradicted myself.

Ok, gotcha. :)

I think when people say that they can eat whatever they want, it's because you really can. You just can't have EVERYTHING you want at any given time (which you essentially pointed out).

Make it fit or save it for another day!

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    use a hot glue gun to turn all candy and treats into immortal christmas wreaths. Finish with a clear sealant. Paint if desired.

Explain why you think Im sick.

Please.

il_570xN.678981084_nb26.jpg

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would still be able to smell the chocolate through the shellac.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Please.

That would be awesome to have hanging in my cubical.

eat one everyday by the time Christmas arrives it's gone.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Please.

That's really pretty actually! What a great idea.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was able to work, I would take any calorie-laden gifts to the break room, where they would be snapped up in record time. The reception desk idea is good too. I waver back and forth about giving up chocolate as my metabolism has pretty much ground to a halt and the only way I seem to be able to drop any weight is to forego anything that contains sugar. But for now, I still allow myself one square of extra dark chocolate per day (60 calories). Believe it or not, it helps me not crave sweets so much the rest of the day. And it is humanly possible to ignore those voices in your head that tell you to have just one more and then just one more and then.... It's not EASY to ignore, but possible. You ARE stronger than your cravings.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing except all the goodies are at home. Cake, candy, cookies, egg nog, hot coco. All my hubbys and kids favorites (Which I love too) I have been off track for a while. Let me know if you find anything that helps!
  • vduckery
    vduckery Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Please.

That's really pretty actually! What a great idea.

I would still eat it!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Well, since the economy currently sucks, and I work in Finance, we aren't getting even a tenth of what we used to get back in 2008/2009. I guess that's the ONLY good thing about the current economy. All the junk food and paid for meals used to start up the week of Thanksgiving. This year, we got our first, and only so far, basket yesterday.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can easily fit a couple chocolates in your day (but Hershey kisses... ew). If you have no willpower after one though, just tell yourself it will be much harder to resist if you have one, and back away slowly lol.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I keep a bit of high quality chocolate in the house, so if an urge strikes, I have one (maybe 2 in times of desperation ;) ) of Lindt 75% chocolate. Per square (and their squares are pretty large) it is 50 calories, and one is usually enough to satisfy the chocolate urge.
  • Luckyprescott
    Luckyprescott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My office has the same issue with vendors bringing in all sorts of chocolate, popcorn, baked goods etc. I have my dark chocolate I eat in the evening and a small serving of popcorn at home if I'm craving the sweet/salty. I work it into my daily calorie intake. I try to exercise 4-5 times a week.

A few co workers have a cold so I just tell myself to stay away. It's difficult enough this time of year to stay healthy.