Breakfast and Lunch Ideas

Options
I really could use some suggestions for breakfast and lunch foods. I get into a rut where I only eat eggs and toast for breakfast and salad for lunch. It is hard to stay motivated when you are always eating the same foods. I am looking for something that is healthy but not bland. I don’t mind putting a little effort into my meals but nothing too crazy. I don’t care for fish which I know puts some limitations on options but that is about as picky as I get.

What are your favorite meals for breakfast?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A bowl of mixed berries (and raisins, sometimes cherries) with granola mixed in. Frozen berries weep as they thaw and the granola sucks up that juice and YUM is the result.

Raisin Bran, Cheerios

Egg on whole grain sandwich rounds. Sometimes with ham (not usually.)

Lunch is all over the place, just like dinner.
  • hannahrichins
    Options
    For lunch I like to eat grilled chicken, an English muffin with peanut butter, or a whole grain tortilla with some refried beans, guacamole, cheese, chicken, and some seasoning :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites: chopped "salad," but not really salad. Chopped up chicken breast (I bake 2-3 at a time and keep them in the fridge), mini cucumbers, grape tomatoes, yellow peppers, baby carrots, blueberries, chick peas, crumbled feta, honey pecans, sunflower seeds, balsamic vinaigrette. Yum.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I dont eat sandwiches or salads. My lunches are grabbed from the freezer as needed and usually heated in the mini slowcooker at my desk at work. Possibilities are endless.

This soup: http://aiplifestyle.com/creamy-crockpot-lemon-chicken-kale-soup/
    It freezes well and is delicious and fresh tasting. I use left over rotisserie meat and reduce the oil since I dont have a blender for that step. Chop the kale into bite pieces or its messy to eat...

Shepherd's Pie comes in around 366 cals a serving for me but I load it with veggies, make a tomato/broth sauce, and don't use butter in the potatoes. Also freezes quite well. And if you have the right container, they can be popped frozen into a little slowcooker.

Also make myself taco soup. 1/2 cup each: broth, refried beans or mashed pinto beans, black beans, corn, and chopped chicken. Then I add 1/2tsp each: chili powder, cumin, and coriander. Mix well and freeze until needed. The refried beans are supposed to thicken the broth into a creamy soup.

I eat (pre-cooked) turkey sausages and a hashbrown patty most days for breakfast. I can stick it in the oven when I get my first cup of coffee and its ready 30 min later when I need to walk out the door. Use your finger to spread a little olive oil on both sides of the patty and it crisps nicely without needing to flip it at the half way point.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    A cup of stir-fry veggies plus 3 servings egg whites all scrambled together. It only adds up to about 100 calories but has 15g protein and makes me feel like I'm having a decent serving of real, hot food. Good for any meal of the day, and you can play around with seasonings.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mozzarella wrapped in thinly sliced ham + a piece of fruit is a good breakfast that I never eat because I am in an oatmeal rut.
  • tsdsign
    tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I would LOVE more breakfast suggestions. Typically I have 3 egg whites + 1 yolk and Ezekiel Bread... Or 1 serving of oatmeal and the same eggs.... Or a pack of plain instant grits and the same eggs.

Lunch suggestions:
    - Grilled chicken breast, black beans and a small salad
    - Grilled chicken wrap (wheat) with avocado, black beans, tomatoes, onions, etc.
    - Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with tomatoes and light mayo and spinach leaves + carrots.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast -- fills me up, loaded with protein. Sometimes I'll throw in some fresh berries. About mid-morning when I start to get hungry but it's not lunch time yet, I'll have some kind of protein bar.
  • angelchic128
    Options
    i love making "egg muffins" for breakfast. I take a 12 cup muffin tin and throw in all different ingredients into each slot. (ex. 1 will have chopped peppers and onions, 1 will have spinach and low fat cheese, 1 will have turkey sausage crumbles etc) Lots of options. then I mix about 4-5 eggs and 4-5 egg whites, or even eggbeaters, to cover the mixtures and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes. They can be wrapped and frozen then popped in the microwave right before eating. SUPER CONVENIENT!!
    Lunch is a mixture of things. I try not to repeat the same thing in a week. Salad might be twice but the ingredients are always different. Black bean and brown rice tortillas with fat free sour cream, peppers and onions. Progresso Light has some yummy low cal options for cold days paired with a turkey or chicken lettuce wrap.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever for lunch, often cycle between eggs, protein pancakes, oatmeal of some sort, yogurt, fruit, and meats for breakfast. You can look through my log and see the various things I'll eat for breakfast and lunch. I do not have any specific go-tos for lunch.
  • watergirlb
    Options
    Well, my suggestion is this; mix it up, don't stick to the same old breakfast foods. Incorporate cheeses, berries nuts and other yummy faves. For lunch, I am trying new things. I have recently discovered that I like Tabboulah. Yes, the box from the shelf in the market, as directed makes a filling lunch at the recommended serving size. I made some, my lettuce in a bag was bad so I had it with 6 garden herb triscuits and a banana for dessert. 2 hours later I am good to go. This is something that you could eat for breakfast. I am recently diagnosed as type 2 diabetic and am taking metformin. I am watching my caloric, fat, salt and carb intake and not watching my weight. I do light exercise, my job has me walking a lot anyway, but my blood sugar was my main concern. Surprise! My last Dr. Appt was actually nice, I had lost 12 lbs in about 2 months of a better diet. I'm finding more success reading labels and choosing wisely than I ever have by trying to micro manage myself to death. And yes, I lost the weight over the Thanksgiving holiday too. I even sort of fell off the wagon a little and ate some egg custard pie.
    You can do this, take some time and try new things.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My usual weekday breakfasts are either an egg sandwich (one egg, one eggwhite, slice of ham, and a slice of smoked gouda on a whole wheat sandwich thin) or oatmeal (1/2cup oatmeal cooked in 1cup of almond milk with a banana, peanut butter, and chia seeds stirred in). Sometimes I'll make pancakes or breakfast tacos if I have a little more time in the morning.

For lunch, it is usually leftovers from dinner or, if we're low on leftovers, a sandwich with some veggies and dip, pretzels, etc on the side.
  • yuiconnor
    Options
    breakfast: oatmeal is my favorite. and cocoa powder with glass of milk

lunch: i love to pack different fruits/veggies. eat a different varieties. :)
  • ErinKay1987
    ErinKay1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. There are some really good suggestions here I can't wait to try.