Info for the New and Returning Dieters.

Options
LeslieTSUK
LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
OK,
Most of this info been plastered around the MFP forum for a long time, normally in responses to other people's posts either to credit something the OP has said or to try ridicule what the OP has said, and I know i'm going to get both, but I'm cool with that, I've got a broad back I can take it :)

And, this is purely about weight loss, it is not about being healthy, that is a totally different subject altogether.
Start with the bad news:

There is no such thing as a good diet, diets don't work full stop.
Fad diets will never work.
Pills and potions will never work.
Just because someone that has lost 200+ pounds doing something doesn't mean it going to work long term for anyone else that tries it.
There are no quick fixes.
There are no super foods
Now The Good news:

All foods are both good and bad for you, that's everything from fruit, salad, veg... to kebabs, fatty meat, fish, turkey, cakes, cheese, processed foods etc etc.

Unless you have a medical condition that makes a food bad for you, all foods are open season to munch on in moderation.
Sugars: Refined or Natural?

Makes no difference, a sugar is a sugar, both create glucose in your bloodstream.
Though, the nutrients in say a banana or an apple will do you far more good than the chemicals in a glass of sugared coke.

There is nothing wrong with either, if you have no medical problems, and are leading a very active lifestyle, then munch all the sugars you like, just as long as your consuming less calories than your burning up, you should be fine with your weight.
Fats: Good or Bad?

This is just my opinion, and as a diabetic who has to have blood tests every 3 months, and all my bloods come back perfect every time for almost 4 years now, there is nothing wrong at all with having all fats, even saturated fat, the key is to try have twice as much good fat as you do bad fat.

But like sugar above, consume less than your body burns and you will loose weight.
Diets V's Lifestyle Change:

Again this just my opinion, a diet to me is what a Doctor or a Surgeon tells you to go on either to drastically loose weight for an op, or if your weight is life threatening and it is paramount you have to lose that weight fast.

Or if say you have a wedding coming up or a special event and someone bought a dress that doesn't fit you and you need to loose a few pounds just for that occasion, then yeah for those kind of situations Diets are fine.

They serve a quick fix purpose, once it over with then weight goes back on as you go back to eating normal.

If like many of us here on MFP you have struggled over the years, tried and failed, lost and put back on, then you need a Lifestyle change.

And as I put at top of this thread post, this is about weight loss not about being healthy.

When you think about changing your lifestyle, take serious notice of the first 4 letters.... LIFE.

First you have to have 1 solid reason for doing it.
Doing it for your health, or for your kids or for a partner or anything like that is pointless, and i say that because if it was so important to you, you would already be doing it, not just starting out.

It has to be a reason or something that burns so deeply inside of you that no matter what life throws in your way to try stop you, and you know it will, nothing will ever keep you down, you will fight and claw and scratch to reach your goals.
Weigh Everything:

Then you have to go through everything you eat honestly, everything from milk in your coffee, the quick spoon fulls of PB you munch before it even reaches your sandwich, yes I'm guilty as charged for that in past, the secret cookie snack you had and conveniently forgot about on way to work or home from work, or while sat at desk with your coffee.

It is the one time in your life you have to be brutally honest with yourself, if not, then walk away now and don't even bother trying, as you're just setting yourself up to fail.

If you are brutally honest with yourself, then pick out your favorite foods, the things you love to eat every day, or every other day, use the MFP calculator, put them in your list of foods, and make sure you fit them into your regime.

Then you will never need to have cheat days, as you'll be enjoying what your eating each day.
Self Sabotage - No Regrets?

Never ever have regrets for your actions while on a lifestyle change, if ya mess up and ya know we all do, every last one of us, then ya mess up, it no big deal, just means it going to take a little longer than planned to reach your final goal.

If you fancy that big juicy steak at a party your invited to, then go have it, just make a note to yourself that you have had it, then when scales next morning say 3 pound on, you can think back and go mmmm, yep, but was so worth it.

Same over xmas, and holiday periods, enjoy yourself, don't miss out, just be honest, and know with each luxury it going to add time onto your goal being reached.

Life style changes is like using a debit card or a credit card for a Luxury.
If you use debit card then you have to save up first to get the luxury, hence reaching your goals first.
If you use a credit card then yes you have your luxury early, but it going to cost you more in the long run because of all that extra interest.
One last note:
Food Addictions?

I have seen this come up a lot lately, and gave it a lot of thought.
I don't believe we can be addicted to food like we would be to say a drug or alcohol or smoking, but, and this a very very BIG BUT, I do believe we can become addicted to certain components of the foods.

Like for me was kebabs, scotch eggs (Boiled eggs in sausage meat & breadcrumbs), Bacon, Peanut Butter. Before that was ice cream, Milk, Apples, Smoothies, Milkshakes.

As long as they not there I don't crave them, but once I tasted them, I'll have to eat them all, even to the point of making myself sick with them.

Yet put a big box of sweets in front of me and I might eat 1 or 2, same with chocolate, and end up giving rest away.

So I think we all have an addiction to something, just some have a lot better control over it.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post, all replies welcome, good and bad, one great thing about the internet, we still have a freedom of speech even if we may or may not like what is put.

Blessed be

Merry xmas and a fantastic new year to everyone.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    * beware of anyone who gives advice in absolutes.
  • LeslieTSUK
    edited December 2014
    Options
    good advice yoovie :)
    Reason I never trust medical profession lol

I waiting to see what people put, am sure it will make for a great read, mmm... Ponders......

Will I get my first 5 flagged post?
    Will I get a ton of pages of comments?
    Will yours and mine be the only comments ever?
    Bites nails...
    Watches excitedly.

No family online so got nobody to torment at moment... :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It might have been placed better in the food and nutrition section? I think most people in motivation are looking for that instead of nutrition info. I see nothing flagworthy here :)
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    I would disagree with you about food addiction; I believe it is in fact one of the most difficult addictions to break. You don't need alcohol to survive. You don't need street drugs to survive. You don't need cigarette's to survive. You do however need food to survive. So for food addicts, eating is a scary thing - every time you eat, you're poking the dragon and hoping to hell the dragon doesn't poke back.
  • LeslieTSUK
    Options
    @BuddhaMom74 you do have a point there, reason I said I thought it wasnt to food itself, but to components of it was, an alcoholic will drink virtually anything, a drug addict tends not to care what kind of drug they get as long as it gives them the fix, exceptions to all rules of course.

Where food addicts per say tend to be addicted to one or two types or particular food.

Like most times a person that can't stop eating sweets for example, if they ran out of sweets, as a general rule won't think ok, no sweets, will go eat that salad or something, the craving is for the sweets.

Hence I believe it something in the sweets that trigger those cravings, be it sugar, or a chemical in them one of the preservatives.

Anyway that was my thought process behind what I put...

@yoovie Ya right, I probably did put it in wrong section lol, it kind of turned out different than i thought, good idea though, see if I can get mods to move it for me :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Congrats on finding what works for YOU.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    LeslieTSUK wrote: »
    Life style changes is like using a debit card or a credit card for a Luxury.
    If you use debit card then you have to save up first to get the luxury, hence reaching your goals first.
    If you use a credit card then yes you have your luxury early, but it going to cost you more in the long run because of all that extra interest.

Oooorr... just don't carry a balance on your credit card. Best of both worlds. Luxury first, plus I got to keep my money in my high interest mutual funds and actually MADE money by paying later which I would not have made had I spent directly out of my bank account via debit card.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    * beware of anyone who gives advice in absolutes.

Pretty much this.
  • LeslieTSUK
    Options
    Check back in a week, see what kinda responses come forth lol
    Have fun with ya posts, and please, be creative, especially the ones who disagree with what i put grinz

Loves a good deep discussion, smiles
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. My weight loss advice would be a little different, but that is because I found out what worked for me. someone else would probably take one look at my food diary and run in the other direction, screaming.
  • LeslieTSUK
    Options
    @melimomTardis yeah I hear ya on that one, smiles :)