Does anyone else get a sore Tongue from eating certain foods

Options
betharose7
betharose7 Posts: 53 Member
In the past few weeks I have had a sore Tongue it went away and then came back again suddenly. My nan suggested I was allergic to strawberries. I had eaten a few but not many but since joining this site I have been eating alot more fruit. Any way I think I've discovered the culprit ..... Pineapple! I could feel my Tongue tingling after just a few bites. My friend suggested that it was too high in vitamin c for me but I've never heard of this before. In the mean time I'm going to avoid pineapple which is a shame :(
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar thing?

Replies

• siantastic
    siantastic Posts: 12
    Options
    Yup I know exactly what you're talking about. For me it's oranges and bananas but if I eat a lot of any fruit it can happen. I always thought it was the citric acid though, rather than vitamin C. Because if I drink certain drinks I get a sore throat too. For me its bearable though as long as I don't eat/drink large quantities. The only one I really restrict is oranges but that's because they also bring me out in a bumpy rash.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Some people can get camker sores and such from highly acidic fruits like citrus.

Does your tongue just hurt, or is there itching and swelling? Do you have any pollen allergies? If so, you may want to google "Oral Allergy Syndrome".
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kiwi fruit do it for me.....too much acidity...:-{
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Yes, I refer to them as hot! <G>
  • betharose7
    betharose7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It just feels sore not swollen or itchy and I actually got 3 tiny mouth ulcers/canker sores not long after :( it's a right pain but now I think I know what it is I hopefully won't have this problem again!
  • pollypoos
    pollypoos Posts: 10
    Options
    I once ate 4 kiwis in 1 days and ooh I can't even look at them anymore my tongue hurt so much after! Pineapple can do the same too!
  • snowy_sk
    snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pineapple and kiwi do it to me too. Such a shame.... love pineapple!!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Totally! Pineapple for me. As long as you don't swell up (an allergy), you're probably fine. Just enjoy till it's not fun anymore. :bigsmile:
    It just feels sore not swollen or itchy and I actually got 3 tiny mouth ulcers/canker sores not long after :( it's a right pain but now I think I know what it is I hopefully won't have this problem again!
    Yeah, probably not an allergy.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Pineapple does it to me too. If I eat a little I am fine but if I have a few chunks of the fresh stuff my tongue burns.
  • bobblebee77
    bobblebee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yup, & mouth ulcers - my dietician advised me to avoid foods with high salicylic acid... like Pineapples, Tomatos, Summer Fruits (Blackcurrants, Strawbs etc) ... which really helps, tho is annoying - sometimes these things are ok when cooked I find or in small doses.

The most annoying one I have found recently is Sweet Chilli Pringles - brill for diet but noooooo to a fave treat :'(
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have heard that pineapple causes this for two reasons.
    1. It was not ripe enough and
    2. If you cut all the brown off the pineapple pieces (you know how they are sometimes brown around the little holes) that will help also.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    kiwis do this for me...so I try to limit how many I eat...
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    Yep, pineapple does this to me. So bummed, b/c I love pineapple!!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    acidic fruits do that to me.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    sugar does it for me... if I eat too much sugar I get them.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    pineapple & kiwi for sure... I still eat it, but not very much at once.
  • melandcurt
    melandcurt Posts: 16
    Options
    My dentist calls it "geographic tongue" and I've always had it. Definitely a citric acid thing. Ketchup does it to me too.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Pineapple actually contains an enzyme that breaks down protein. It is most abundant in the core of the pineapple, so never eat that part. This enzyme is largely destroyed during the canning process, so you might have better luck with pineapple canned in natural juice rather than fresh. You might also just be sensitive to the acidity, as others have suggested.

Fresh pineapple makes my tongue sore only if I eat a large serving, as do kiwis. Walnuts make the roof of my mouth sore for some reason. I don't have a problem with other stuff.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I have heard that pineapple causes this for two reasons.
    1. It was not ripe enough
    That is a REALLY good point!
    Walnuts make the roof of my mouth sore for some reason. I don't have a problem with other stuff.
    I get that too! Weird!
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Sometimes I get it from banana's ( but not always ) and I always get it from walnuts!!