Should I continue with mpf on holiday or not?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm going away on holiday in a couple of weeks and wasn't sure if I should have a break from mfp too or keep a track of things whilst I'm away? I don't want to put on any weight, but at the same time, I don't want to feel too 'regimented' whilst on hol! Any advice out there? Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I change my calorie goals up to maintenance, but still track everything :) It's a quick slide down if I don't!
  • cblr1976
    cblr1976 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm off in a few weeks too, I'm going to relax what I do, we're camping so there'll be lots of family walking and playing footie/frisbie with the children but I won't exercise as such, and try to make sure I don't go silly with the food either lol

Hope you have a great time:smile:
  • sexipepsi
    sexipepsi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    While I know it may seem like a task to have to stick with it over your vacation, I would definitely suggest sticking with it. If I were in your shoes [and how I wish I was : )] I think that it would be very easy for me to loose track, cheat on one day then loose control. There is a fine line for me but if you know you would be able to watch your caloric intake and workout somewhat, then enjoy your vacation.

Have Fun : )
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be obsessive about it but if you can still log on every day and keep track, why not? While on vacation, I like to at least jot down what I'm eating and doing for activity so I keep that accountability going. Otherwise it's way too easy to slip back to the old ways of not caring!
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight on vacation, I do eat more for breakfast or for dinner but rarely have time for more than a snack for lunch.
    Also I know for me on vacation I am always walking all day long, either on the boardwalk/ piers or the beach and or strolling in and out of little quaint shops, so its a very active vacations, we usually bring bicycles and ride them each morning before going to the beach and then spend time swimming or splashing in waves that take energy to withstand the under tow currents. There are sight seeing excursions which I presume would also be walking tours of some kinds, plenty of good food, good company and good activity, balancing mind, body and spirit. I wouldnt worry about it, if every day were like a vacation day we would all be stress free, more active and eat more of the great indulgent foods yet still be thinner and fit because of it. Cruises I feel might be the only expection to this rule lol.
  • VixNoir
    VixNoir Posts: 5
    Options
    Track it. If for nothing else to just see how many calories you are eating. My husband and I give ourselves Saturdays to eat what we love. Seeing it on here makes me realize how I got to where I am. Also OMG I get soo bloated I gain 5lbs just in bloat after eating.
    Its up to you if you want to follow your Calorie limits etc. but seriously. Try to count it. That way you can know. Oh maybe I just one of those cookie. Instead of blinding eating 20 lol :)
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Plan a couple cheat days during your vaca. Other than that stick to your calories. Find activities to do that burn calories and it will be much easier to stay close to your goal. If you over eat you really won't enjoy yourself as much!
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Try and think of this as a lifestyle change not a diet!! If you wanna splurge a bit have a meal you can share, specially when it comes to dessert :) Have a great time!
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like epj idea of change to maintenance. If nothing else it helps to log can be a slippery sloap when not keeping track. Depending on vacation type.
  • stephmn
    stephmn Posts: 18
    Options
    My personal opinion is that MFP is a lifestyle change and that means no holidays. Not to say that you can't enjoy and eat what you want, but I think you're best off to track everything. It's too easy to lose track of your calorie intake if you don't.
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I've kept mine the same so I can watch my habits and see how many calories I actually put in a day. It's actually helped me stay away from the bad stuff and I've done pretty well.

Good luck!
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have MFP on my smart phone, so it's not hard to me to log what I eat while I wait for the food or right after I eat it even if I'm not at home. If this is the case for you, I recommend you try to keep up with what you eat. Don't obsess about it, but if you plan for this to be a lifestyle change, you need to give yourself some allowances sometimes within reason. You don't have to stick to your calorie goal really strictly (maybe move it up to maintenance instead), but you also don't need to pig out and overeat to the point you're going to explode. Treat yourself in moderation and keep yourself active and you should be fine!

Enjoy your trip!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be obsessive about it but if you can still log on every day and keep track, why not? While on vacation, I like to at least jot down what I'm eating and doing for activity so I keep that accountability going. Otherwise it's way too easy to slip back to the old ways of not caring!

Great advice here! Even if you can't log on and track, you should still make good choices and stay as active as you can.
    Kaye
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Really good advice on here, will keep tracking but put my goal to maintence!