Anyone tips for people with back problems?

Options
Hello!

I've been partially cleared to exercise by my doctors and I just can't manage to find workouts that work out for me and my injury. I have a herniated disc between L4 and L5 (I've already gotten my first epidural shot). Anyone have any tips? I need to strengthen my core to support my now fragile back, but almost every core exercise give me a bunch of pain.

I haven't started physical therapy yet, I will soon. I just really want to get a jump on this.

Thanks!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Id wait for the PT to advise you before taking a risk.

This explains how a PT sees the problem, but you need the go ahead from your Dr and PT. You are injued, dont take any chances.

http://www.nhs.uk/video/Pages/sciatica-herniated-disc.aspx
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I know my sister in law has lots of back problems and even had to go through a surgery last year. She has had lot of PT and they put in a pool. She swears by her swimming routine and has been losing weight too.
  • IndigoSpider
    IndigoSpider Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with 999tigger, don't take the chance. I have herniated discs so I know your pain and I tried to jump on it and made things much worse. WAIT until PT.

After that, I recommend water exercises as well. You can get some great core work done in the water which is much easier on your back, all your bones/joints really, and I was surprised how much my core really worked out! I thought water workouts were just for old people but if you find a good gym or trainer you really can do fantastic workouts in water.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

^^^^ This, don't rush things.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Supporting your back is mostly an endurance activity, it doesn't require much actual strength. The best "exercise" is to simply brace your abs and pull in your lower belly slightly, without raising your chest. Practice doing this all throughout the day, everywhere you go. Activates the transversus abdominis muscle, which you can read about on google if you're curious.

For traditional "strength "exercises, discuss it with a physical therapist.

How did your hurt your back?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Wait for physical therapy!!!!!

I'm recovering from just a bulged L4/L5 and it is VERY painful. And you are right - you can't do ANYTHING that doesn't involve your lower back and core.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Go through physical therapy first. The PT will likely work on strengthening your core along with flexibility and other work done through therapy. After that you can work on more core stabilization type stuff once cleared by the PT, but do the rehab / corrective first.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

^^^^ This, don't rush things.

This is so important. I haven't had any medical intervention for my degenerative disks for several years now (KNOCK ON WOOD), even though I would have taken muscle relaxants recently if I had had them on hand. I still have to be careful about "don't rush things." Just because I could lift X amount today, doesn't mean I can do it and still walk tomorrow! And a lot of exercises that are touted as great for the core are definitely not good for herniated disks!

• badbritty
    badbritty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! You guys are right, I think I'll stick to my walking and my ice skating (I know! Its potentially dangerous, but my doc said I could as long as I didn't go fast and did no tricks). I swam a couple of times and it wasn't that painful. I just made my first appointment so I'll be getting all of my answers soon :) So for now I'll stick to my walks and my painfully slow skating sessions.

Cherimoose: Multiple factor came into play for my back. Poor posture, horseback riding, a training accident ( Horse reared up and got a few good jabs on my back) and the final nail in the coffin was speed skating (on ice) I slipped backwards and landed directly on my already messed up back. I never went to the hospital for an serious injuries.... Always took care of them myself.

I started feeling pain in Sept 2013 and thought I could walk it off, I'm a very stubborn girl who can tolerate quite a bit of pain. Eventually I started losing feeling in my left leg, or it would just go either completely numb or burn with pain (I was in the ER twice, no one thought it was my back). I developed a bad limp and in Oct 2014 was my skating accident. After that I couldn't stand straight and my hip shifted to the left (not a good look, if you ask me) I'm finally getting it fixed though.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Once you're cleared by PT, yoga is good for the core & back.