c25K iPhone app

Options
So, I'm toying wtih the idea of starting the c25K program. I'm not a runner by any means and this is supposedly the way to do it. I have always longed to be a runner, but always lack the stamina to do it. I want to play outside wtih my boys and not become short of breath all the time. I'm thinking of adding this exercise program to the Zumba that I already do and has worked out tremendously for me so far.

Any input on iPhone apps would really be appreciated! I'm reading the descriptions of all of them on my phone, but unsure which I really want and thought maybe those that have tried them could offer me some feedback of what they liked/didn't like. I know they are all $3 or under each, but I tend to buy one, hate it and then buy another, not like it, keep repeating the cycle!

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

Replies

• JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    bump
    would love to know also!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Same! I want to know :)

This will be my 3rd day doing the C25k and an iphone app would be amazing.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've got the Get Running app and I love it!

It has a nice friendly voice telling you when to run, when to walk etc and she tells you when you have 15 seconds to go! You can play your music at the same time and the voice just comes in over the top.

Nothing not to like!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love the c25k app! I bought it a week and a half ago and so far I've really liked it, the only thing I don't like is that you can't leave the app once you start your run otherwise you will lose the timer. But you can play music and track how you feel and your weight and everything right there. I think it was work the 2.99
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Was just thinking about this last night...can't wait to hear what people recommend!
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    The get running app (i know it's already been suggested) is AWESOME. Only 1.99 when I bought it. Has really kept me on track with c25k. And I might add -- C25K has changed my life. Really. I love running, and trust me, i HATED running 8 weeks ago. It's an amazing program.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I want to see what others think too.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    i got the c25k app and i think its really awesome! its a 9 week program 3x/day running but i usually do it mon-friday.

i always get asthma when i run and since i started this app, because its a progression...i dont get asthma like i normally do. i can run/jog just fine.
  • stephmn
    stephmn Posts: 18
    Options
    You will LOVE the C25K program! I bought an iPod app last year (I don't remember which one) and it was great! I too was not a runner and thought I was goin gto DIE the first time I had to run for 12 minutes... Now I can't wait for it to be nice enough to run outside!! The app that I have allows you to upload your own playlist and give you encouraging updates like, "You're half way there!" and "One minute remaining."

Happy running!! :)
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    Get running for me tooooo.... haven't tried or heard any of the others, but this one fitted my needs and very happy with it
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am as far from being a runner as possible, and I am currently doing the C25K. I LOVE IT! Highly suggested to me by many of my friends, and I love the fact that you can have your music on while this app is running. I'm actually excited to go running now. Hope everything works out for you! :happy:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's a great app. I started with the c25k app but then switched over to the c210k app. For me, c25k increased the length of the runs a bit too quickly. I was having to repeat EVERY week. That, and I'd just start sweating and the workout would be over (30 minutes). C210k is an hour workout. The runs are shorter, the walks/recovery are longer but the workout is twice as long.

C25k is a 9 week program
    c210k is 13 weeks

both go from couch to running either a 5k or 10k. The preference comes in how long you want your workout to be and what goal you are shooting for. (My goal was always to run an hour so the c210k fit better for me... you may be different).

For example, comparing the weeks:

Week 4 (C25k) - Warmup 5 mins, run 3:00, walk 1:30, run 5:00, walk 2:30, run 3:00, walk 1:30, run 5:00
    Week 4 (C210k) - warmup 5 minutes, run 2:00, walk 3:00 eleven times.

Week 5 (c25k) - (day 3) - run 20 minutes
    Week 5 (C210k) - run 2:30, walk 2:30 (10-12 times)

Because the workout is twice as long, you reach the 5k distance earlier on in the program, BUT you're running it straight LATER in the program. (I hope that makes sense). c210k really kicks up the pace in week 10, but by that time, you should have had a chance to develop the endurance (which is why I like the program a little better than c25k).

Both are great though.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Ive got the C25K (Couch to 5K) App - its awesome!!

I only started last week so my next run is W2d2! but I cant wait to do my next one to see the results! U get ur speed for run speed for walk total cals burned and all that jazz - U can pause it and u can play music while ur doing it and it tells u when to walk, when to run, when ur half way and it vibrates the phone when it tells u these things which I find handy coz sometimes the wind drowns out sound from the phone :) xx
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hey, someone on here gave me a link to a website which is free and it lets you do the C25k over 9 weeks and tells you how long to run and walk and how to build it up over time. The site allows you to download 9 podcasts (1 per week) and this lady talks you through it and you listen to the music to keep you going and she reminds you when to walk/run. If you're interested, message me and when I get home from work tonight I can see what the link is and send you it?
  • mommyof5kids
    Options
    I too have the couch to 10K app and I love it...really motivating!
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks everyone...I am loving this feedback and am excited now to see if I can become a runner finally!!! :)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have never considered myself a runner either but today I did Day 3, (Week 1) and am using the official c25k App from Bluefin (http://www.c25kapp.com/).

It's fantastic! It doesn't 'switch off' , which means you get all the prompts as and when you need them, plus it works with Nike+ (if you want it to, of course!), and your own music. It has an auto-publish feature, which if switched on, will post to Facebook and Twitter, plus there's a journal which allows you to record how you felt after each run (you can share this too). Handy for looking back on. If you get the GPS add-on too, it will give you a map of your run, plus some other features (which I can't remember off-hand!). You can also enter your own details, and it will calculate how many calories you've used, plus you can set goals for yourself.

Oh, and there's a little graph icon, which if you click on it, shows you how you are progressing (several different graphs) - it's actually really cool to be able to see tangible evidence of my progress!

I haven't tried any other the other Apps, but to be honest, I don't feel a need to - this does everything I want it to, is simple to use, and... well, I just can't praise it enough!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thanks everyone...I am loving this feedback and am excited now to see if I can become a runner finally!!! :)

You *can* do it! :bigsmile:
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    So, I'm toying wtih the idea of starting the c25K program. I'm not a runner by any means and this is supposedly the way to do it. I have always longed to be a runner, but always lack the stamina to do it. I want to play outside wtih my boys and not become short of breath all the time. I'm thinking of adding this exercise program to the Zumba that I already do and has worked out tremendously for me so far.

Any input on iPhone apps would really be appreciated! I'm reading the descriptions of all of them on my phone, but unsure which I really want and thought maybe those that have tried them could offer me some feedback of what they liked/didn't like. I know they are all $3 or under each, but I tend to buy one, hate it and then buy another, not like it, keep repeating the cycle!

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

I just started this program on my iphone and love it! I'm not a runner at all, but it's very easy to use and works you up progressively. I'd say give it a try! :happy:
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    Here's the C25K program:

http://mindplunge.com/c25k/c25k.html