Need help with diet

Hi,

I've started going to the gym and calorie counting around 90 days ago. At first I would stay below my target calories but then I'd go above the target calories because I felt hungry all the time. I am a 19 year old male, 5'5", 153lbs, my goal is to go down to around the 130-140lbs.

My fitness pal has given me a target of 1840 calories per day. I know I could probably achieve this goal if I cooked and made my own meals, however, being a uni student with assignment deadlines coming up and exams to revise for, on top of a part time job and time for gym, it is extremely difficult for me to actually find enough time to cook my own meals.

Are there any ready made food such as sandwiches from supermarkets which you would recommend for me? (I prefer cold food because I don't always have access to a microwave) I am looking to take in around 130-150g of protein and stay below 1840 calories. For breakfast I just have a cup of tea and 4 boiled egg whites. Just have no idea what to eat for lunch, tea, dinner and as snacks.

Would like suggestions on something that is filling, low in calories and high in protein.

Thank you

Replies

• Bagels with low-fat cream cheese are my favorite go-to. A latte with skim milk also helps me out.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I think this is going to be largely dependent on the area you live in. Some stores on the east coast of the US aren't available on the west coast. Same as not all stores in the US are available in the UK, Canada, etc.

Can you not make sandwiches for yourself ahead of time? Perhaps hard-boil some eggs? Alternatively, you can usually purchase sandwiches at your local grocer, as well as hard-boiled eggs, yogurts, cheese, etc.

My first thought for convenience foods was Wawa, but again, that's regional. I could probably live at Wawa... haha.
  • Ninkyou wrote: »
    I think this is going to be largely dependent on the area you live in. Some stores on the east coast of the US aren't available on the west coast. Same as not all stores in the US are available in the UK, Canada, etc.

Can you not make sandwiches for yourself ahead of time? Perhaps hard-boil some eggs? Alternatively, you can usually purchase sandwiches at your local grocer, as well as hard-boiled eggs, yogurts, cheese, etc.

My first thought for convenience foods was Wawa, but again, that's regional. I could probably live at Wawa... haha.
    Live in UK, thanks for suggestions
  • noorul87
    noorul87 Posts: 8
    edited December 2014
    What can I eat that would allow me to remain under 1840 calories and yet consume 130-140g of protein per day for:

Lunch:
    Snack:
    Tea:
    Snack:
    Dinner:
    Snack (maybe):

All food has to be readily made and can be eaten cold and is available from any major supermarkets such as Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury's.

Thanks for the advice all :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, store bought salads with a protein, pre cooked chicken- divide it into meals with a salad; potato, couscous, quinoa, etc. ( easy on dressings) tin of tuna and a roll. Ooh bacon buttie , as a treat,(I'm a northerner). Slices of roast beef from the deli counter on a sandwich or with a salad.
    Fresh fruit, pre made fruit salads with a greek yogurt, vegi plates with a dip, hummus or guacamoli, etc and rice cakes or crackers.
    Read the labels and make sure you are getting a good amount of your macros covered.
    I haven't lived in the UK for decades, but I have noticed on my frequent visits that there is a whole lot more healthy pre- prepared food available there than in North America ( just my observation ).
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers, h.
    Ps if you are falling really short on your protein, invest in a protein powder supplement or protein bars. These are supliments for you're fall short days; not meal replacements.
    I say this because you are bound to get plenty of fats and carbs, but you may find your protein lacking just because of your situation at the moment.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Buy canned beans, canned salmon or sardines, ricotta cheese /cottage cheese / cheddar cheese, deli / sandwich meats. Tofu or tempeh, various sausages.
    These can be eaten with crackers or salads.
    Buy spices and condiments like mustard, horseradish, worcestershire, salad dressing, pickled onions.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    What's a DIE-it ?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    I'm a university student with exams and assignments and usually exercise and I was also working and volunteering during the term. I've almost always made my own meals. Takes like 5 minutes to pre-heat the oven and season a piece of meat, and then just let it cook for x minutes while you do other things. Then it takes 45 minutes to make a big pot of rice, again just let it cook as you do other things. Veggies take a few minutes to prepare and eat as-is depending on the type and how much you want to eat. Breakfast foods are pretty easy to make as well, pancakes or eggs can take 10 minutes or less. I just made egg muffins in the oven today.

I mean, I have a friend who works 12 hours a day or longer and also works out way too much 6x a week, and he still has time to make his own meals when including driving to and from work and other chores. I think you just need to honestly not get lazy with it, because if you can find time for everything else then you can find time to cook in bulk a few times a week.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    @ana3067 gave you some good advice. There are many, many people who have busier schedules and still find time to cook. Making time to cook (tips like cooking in bulk, etc) and learning to choose healthy foods at the cafeteria is needed to make your weight loss a success long term.

As you lose weight and get lower in calories you will have a hard time making pre-bought items fit into your calories and macro goals. However, in the meantime - in the US most things in a supermarket that is prepackaged has nutrition labels on it. So just pick stuff that matches your calorie goals!
  • Yogurt, cottage cheese, store bought salads with a protein, pre cooked chicken- divide it into meals with a salad; potato, couscous, quinoa, etc. ( easy on dressings) tin of tuna and a roll. Ooh bacon buttie , as a treat,(I'm a northerner). Slices of roast beef from the deli counter on a sandwich or with a salad.
    Fresh fruit, pre made fruit salads with a greek yogurt, vegi plates with a dip, hummus or guacamoli, etc and rice cakes or crackers.
    Read the labels and make sure you are getting a good amount of your macros covered.
    I haven't lived in the UK for decades, but I have noticed on my frequent visits that there is a whole lot more healthy pre- prepared food available there than in North America ( just my observation ).
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers, h.
    Ps if you are falling really short on your protein, invest in a protein powder supplement or protein bars. These are supliments for you're fall short days; not meal replacements.
    I say this because you are bound to get plenty of fats and carbs, but you may find your protein lacking just because of your situation at the moment.
    This reply helped me a lot, thanks for the suggestions, will be sure to give them ago :)
  • ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm a university student with exams and assignments and usually exercise and I was also working and volunteering during the term. I've almost always made my own meals. Takes like 5 minutes to pre-heat the oven and season a piece of meat, and then just let it cook for x minutes while you do other things. Then it takes 45 minutes to make a big pot of rice, again just let it cook as you do other things. Veggies take a few minutes to prepare and eat as-is depending on the type and how much you want to eat. Breakfast foods are pretty easy to make as well, pancakes or eggs can take 10 minutes or less. I just made egg muffins in the oven today.

I mean, I have a friend who works 12 hours a day or longer and also works out way too much 6x a week, and he still has time to make his own meals when including driving to and from work and other chores. I think you just need to honestly not get lazy with it, because if you can find time for everything else then you can find time to cook in bulk a few times a week.
    Any suggestions for ready made food that can be eaten out of the packet which are low in calories and high in protein?

Thanks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Greek yogurt with nuts, meat, quest bars, meat, eggs, meat.
  • Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Greek yogurt with nuts, meat, quest bars, meat, eggs, meat.
    Hey, do you know where I could get Quest bars from in the UK other than online?

Cheers
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    noorul87 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Any suggestions for ready made food that can be eaten out of the packet which are low in calories and high in protein?

Thanks
    Not really. If I need to buy spur of the moment I just get a salad and a protein bar if the latter is available. Otherwise, I make all my own food ahead of time. I'm guessing that you can do that as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Took me two google clicks. For the UK:

Predator Nutrition

Store Address:
    Unit a11, The Light Shopping Centre
    The Headrow
    Leeds
    LS1 8TL

http://www.predatornutrition.com/quest-nutrition-quest-bar-12-bars/
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    I'm a very busy person too, and I find it really helpful to make big batches of food on the weekends that will give me a few days of leftovers. You can freeze them for later, reheat for dinner, or take them with you for lunch.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I get mine online because they're cheaper.