Ramblings of the Low Self-Esteemed.

Options
Maybe it is just, me, I'm not sure. I am a foodie. I love food. I love everything about it. I would even go as far to say as I am addicted to food. Which has lead me to gain 40+ pounds in the last two years. I have done everything: diet pills, calorie counting, starving myself (worked in high school!) but nothing seems to be working. I am so frustrated. I go to the gym 3-5 nights a week for about an hour at a time. I do cardio and strength training but for the life of me I cannot lose the weight. I am keeping track of my calories on the daily, drinking about 2.5 liters of water a day(my recommended amount) but it won't budge. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It's really easy, realllllllly painfully easy to underestimate how many calories you're eating. I would take a second look at your measurement accuracy and go from there.

A food scale is a great tool, if you're not already using one.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ^^ agreed! After I got my digital food scale I discovered how different my calories actually were compared to what I thought they were! Good Luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! It's all about calories vs. calories out. You are probably eating more than you think or you think you are burning more calories than you actually are. Do you use a scale and how do you calculate your calorie burn?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Make sure and count your calories meticulously for the next couple of weeks and see what you come up with.
    May I ask what your TDEE is?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The two clues for me here are your post title "low self-esteemed" and the first sentence of your post "I love food".

Sounds like you're an emotional eater. It can be really, really hard to lose weight when you've got issues around food. I say this not to judge, but to say, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Yes, it's about calories-in-calories-out and tracking accurately and weighing and measuring. But it's also about having the will to do it, to stick to it, not to cheat or binge or fall off the wagon. It's about having the confidence and, yes, high enough self-esteem and self-love to love yourself more than you love food.

I'd strongly urge you to look into getting some counselling or help for these issues. This, more than any diet or exercise or weight loss plan, will help you get to the right place to achieve your goals.

You don't magically get better self esteem by losing weight. You lose weight by having high enough self esteem to succeed.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    The two clues for me here are your post title "low self-esteemed" and the first sentence of your post "I love food".

Sounds like you're an emotional eater. It can be really, really hard to lose weight when you've got issues around food. I say this not to judge, but to say, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Yes, it's about calories-in-calories-out and tracking accurately and weighing and measuring. But it's also about having the will to do it, to stick to it, not to cheat or binge or fall off the wagon. It's about having the confidence and, yes, high enough self-esteem and self-love to love yourself more than you love food.

I'd strongly urge you to look into getting some counselling or help for these issues. This, more than any diet or exercise or weight loss plan, will help you get to the right place to achieve your goals.

You don't magically get better self esteem by losing weight. You lose weight by having high enough self esteem to succeed

This is absolutely true.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just, me, I'm not sure. I am a foodie. I love food. I love everything about it. I would even go as far to say as I am addicted to food. Which has lead me to gain 40+ pounds in the last two years. I have done everything: diet pills, calorie counting, starving myself (worked in high school!) but nothing seems to be working. I am so frustrated. I go to the gym 3-5 nights a week for about an hour at a time. I do cardio and strength training but for the life of me I cannot lose the weight. I am keeping track of my calories on the daily, drinking about 2.5 liters of water a day(my recommended amount) but it won't budge. What am I doing wrong?

you're not eating at a calorie defecit
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What method are you using (MFP or something like TDEE)? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you measuring what you're eating? How long have you been trying?

It's very easy to become complacent about logging and start eye-balling portions. Personally, I believe the most important thing about logging is being sure to measure.

It seems like what segacs said might be the main problem here. Your post is very characteristic of someone who may have emotional problems centering around food. People always believe self-esteem will magically come when you lose weight. It doesn't. You really have to work on loving yourself WHILE or even BEFORE you are losing weight.

Your profile says three pounds lost. Congrats on the progress so far :).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?