Using a stability ball to squat

Options
This is probably something that everyone already knew and I simply was unaware of, but a trainer at my gym suggested placing a stability ball against a wall and leaning back against it as you squat. It helps support you so that you have proper form. I didn't think much of it until she made me try it and I actually felt my butt really working! I always felt like I was relying on my leg muscles but not fully engaging my glutes before trying this. Obviously I need some help with my form, and this seems to be a great tool for me. Just puttin' it out there in case it helps anyone else. (Sorry if like I said EVERYONE was aware of this and I'm outta the loop lol)

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in one of my status' a few weeks ago and got quite a few questions as to what I was talking about so I don't think as many people know about it as you think. Thank you for putting it out there. I have some lower back problems at the moment so I have to squat with a stability ball behind my back, and yes it is amazing!! :smile: Keeps my form in check and allows me to squat heavier than I would otherwise be able to.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Might try this out if I remember...
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That might help me, I can't lean back enough without falling over.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

That's why I liked it so much. You step your feet away from the wall and you can really lean back properly without toppling over and squat deeper. My balance has improved a lot from 65 lbs ago but I'm still a mess. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to do it on my own.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's a tool- but not a long term training technique.

Use it to help and progress- but don't rely it on it 100%- you have to continue to move forward.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes, i actually use the stability ball to warm up often. I used it a lot to develop my box squat form. and periodically for "tune-ups" prior to squatting to get my body back in the right motion.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Yes you can. Broaden your stance and your torso will be more upright. Also, as long as you aren't hunching your back, being a little bent over is okay. Some people's anthropometry requires that they lean forward to break parallel.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It's a tool- but not a long term training technique.

Use it to help and progress- but don't rely it on it 100%- you have to continue to move forward.

Yep. Now I am wondering if it would be helpful in transitioning to one legged squats..Oh well, I have a while to figure it out, I can't seem to get the bulgarian squats perfect :(
  • JoRocka
    Options
    like pistols - or one leg squats?
    -
    B/c those are 2 different things.

if you're talking about pistols no- using a TRX- or even teh cable pull around a support is better than a ball.

And I find a chair or anything stable to have access to for single leg squats are probably easier than a ball.

balls and one single leg are typically not a good idea- unless you're doing single leg bridge lifts.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If your heels come off the ground work on hip and ankle mobility.

The ball will help if you are new and have bad mobility but you'll get a better workout once you get the form and flexibility down.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    like pistols - or one leg squats?
    -
    B/c those are 2 different things.

Well, I was planning on working on one leg first, then work up to pistol. I thought the difference was just how far down you go?

I really need to get into the storage room and find my TRX now that I am getting stronger again, anyway. I hate doing parallel pull ups (I don't know what they are called) under a table and much prefer using the TRX for that, as well. I was using a swing, but one of the swings broke a few weeks after I started doing that and 1) I can't help but wondering if I didn't weaken it and 2) they never replaced it, they just ground off the broken attachment and removed that swing!

• JoRocka
    Options
    You don't need anything super special- even if you the broken strap- as long as it's long enough- and a sturdy banister- you can use it as an assist.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

Yes you can. Broaden your stance and your torso will be more upright. Also, as long as you aren't hunching your back, being a little bent over is okay. Some people's anthropometry requires that they lean forward to break parallel.

My back is ok, it's just my knees go to far past my toes.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    This is the best way to squat. It really helps work your stabilisers and you will end up with your perfect final form. Some people like a spotter but I think that's for weak girly men.

3izej08yinj0.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

My back is ok, it's just my knees go to far past my toes.

Your knees will and can go past your toes, and is perfectly ok.

Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg