Really struggling

Options
At the moment, I'm really struggling, mainly because hubby brought in packs of cakes and biscuits, chocolate when I'm at a bingy/craving stage (time of the month) I thought I would have one and be fine but I went overboard. Started with a 120g bar ofchocolate. Cannot seem to get out of it. I should of known, it hasn't been long enough for me to control it and it's controling me.
I haven't exercised either, a lot depends on how I feel when I finish work and whether my knees etc are hurting. Was going out for a walk yesterday but got knocked downstairs and hurt my leg. (my dog fell and knocked me flying, he is ok stood at the bottom wagging his tail)

I have just got to get myself in the right frame of mind again, it's just getting back in. One day for a blip is fine too many is not.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Do you normally restrict yourself from eating foods you enjoy? Eating cake isn't going to prevent you from losing weight, eating above maintenance needs will. So if you are trying to omit foods right now that you plan on eating once you've gotten to your goal weight, you might have a better time getting to your goal if you eat the exact same foods you'd eat in maintenance.. just less of it.

Otherwise, log your food before you eat it, not the other way around. I don't eat anything before logging it unless I'm e.g. going for an impromptu dinner out, or it's a holiday and I'm not or can't track, or at a party where I don't bother to track, etc. But because I know that nothing is off-limits I can pretty easily eat reasonable amounts at these occasions.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Its called self control. Learn it and use it.

It will be your best friend

Who cares if he brings home whatever, his not forcing you to eat it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do better if I completely stay away from those foods. Depending on the day, the one chocolate might have messed up everything else.
    Ask your husband to be your partner in this by keeping it out of the house.
    Instead of walking, do mat or chair exercises on youtube/ with dvds by saving your knees. Also, icing your knees twice a day helps bring down the inflammation.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You should see some of the stuff I keep around the house. As long as you eat it in moderation and keep your total calories down, there's nothing wrong with keeping it in the house. I actually find that it helps if I do. If it is always available, then I get in the habit of ignoring it. But if I buy something that I haven't had for a while, I tend to consume more than I should.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    freesia83 wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm really struggling, mainly because hubby brought in packs of cakes and biscuits, chocolate when I'm at a bingy/craving stage (time of the month) I thought I would have one and be fine but I went overboard. Started with a 120g bar ofchocolate. Cannot seem to get out of it. I should of known, it hasn't been long enough for me to control it and it's controling me.
    I haven't exercised either, a lot depends on how I feel when I finish work and whether my knees etc are hurting. Was going out for a walk yesterday but got knocked downstairs and hurt my leg. (my dog fell and knocked me flying, he is ok stood at the bottom wagging his tail)

I have just got to get myself in the right frame of mind again, it's just getting back in. One day for a blip is fine too many is not.

Drop all the excuses, there is no point to your post really your looking for someone to tell you "it's okay" well it's not okay... if you really want this put in the work/ effort, stop making excuses and reasons for everything.

Your husband bought XXXX good for him unless he's literally force feeding it to you it shouldn't matter what he buys. Saying you need to be in the right mind set what are you waiting for something to click? just say no! that's it ... stop waiting for things to happen to you and go and make them ducking happen!

#tufflove;)

Brad
  • hikecampgal
    hikecampgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I totally get where you're coming from. I haven't gotten the 'self-control' part down pat yet and it gets incredibly frustrating. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like to chat and help support each other :smile:
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Well, there seem to be some fortunate people that can keep anything around and use their self control and it is not a problem. I am not one of those people. I know it is much easier for me if I don't keep tempting items in the house that I may succumb to when having a weak moment.

I agree with the writer who suggests asking your husband to be a partner in this and ask him not to bring those tempting things home. I don't deny myself all sweets, but find it easier to have a treat out at a restaurant or at someone else's home where there isn't a whole pan etc. To me the most important thing I'm learning is to know what works for me. It isn't necessarily what works for someone else
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sometimes people have issues with food in which having self control is quite hard. for me i can find it difficult to get out of bad habbits with food and i am all for quick convenience foods which can lead to bad food choices. me personally anything that is bad for me tastes good and no matter how much i know its bad i have to keep telling myself this. i have always had food weight struggles so i know when you have bad foods around you and others eating them bringing them in the home work etc it can be hard. i have issues with work. my collegues eat rubbish and they expect me to do the same but firmness is the key lately
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My husband loves his sweets. And I'm a complete sugar junkie! The ONLY thing that worked for me was removing sugar from my life (day before Halloween actually!). I went thru withdrawals for a couple of days but it wasn't so bad. Definitely do-able.. I'm not saying my way is the only way as it seems kind of harsh. But I absolutely had to break my physical/emotional addiction to the sweets and I feel SO much better!
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I find the "Just for today" concept works for me. i.e. Just for today I am going to eat within my calorie goal. Do it once, then do it again, and again.

It is OK to crave those things and in fact to eat those things. Just remember we're all human and we want to enjoy life. Don't beat yourself up, this is a journey and there will be ups and downs, and without the downs we don't appreciate the view from the top!

I'm eating salad for lunch (i'm not a huge salad fan) because I know that I am going out for drinks after work, I know I'll go over my calories, but hopefully I'll dance them all off! If not, it's a big session in the gym tomorrow - which I'm kinda looking forward to! :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just as a thought, often our bad habits are coupled with each other. Eating while watching TV is a good example.

Maybe you can make a rule that, okay, you can have the treat but you have to set the table for it and sit down and eat it WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE. You might lose interest because it's the intersection that is really cementing the pleasure centers of the habit.

A lot of people who study habit say that unbundling habits is a good way to break them.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself! Pick up and move on! We all stumble, shake it off and keep going. If you love treats and sweets, plan to have a bit every day.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Have him put it out of sight, somewhere where you don't where it is. If he can't partner with you in weight loss then he can not do his own thing just not in front of you. Sometimes, it's like a recovering alcoholic, you wouldn't have booze in the house if your husband was alcohol driven and sometimes with us it's the same with food!
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    Its called self control. Learn it and use it.

It will be your best friend

Who cares if he brings home whatever, his not forcing you to eat it.

Believe it or not, this IS the key and it is easier than you think. Ask yourself what you value more: the sweets or your health/goals? How long have you been at this? In the beginning it may be challenging as you shift your thinking to focus on our health, especially when you are used to As you progress you will find that you can walk past that stuff and not be tempted, or at least you won't be tempted to gorge on it.

Deprivation is NOT the answer. Moderation is.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    for me self control it's like a muscle, the longer you exercise it, the better and stronger you get at it, you could potentially tell your husband to try to help you and not bring those things to the house, but seriously just think how many times in the future you're going to be around food that is not with in your calorie range or the healthier eating habits that you're trying to keep.

breath in, breath out and remember why are you doing this, and yes sometimes that means looking in my phone a picture of an old me or someone i aspire to be, getting out of the closet a pair of jean that dont fit me yet or just coming here to MFP and look for old success stories.

ps. none of this journey is perfect at all , but say to yourself ; don't aloud a bad day becomes a bad week and that a bad month

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I always give myself room to eat at maintenance for the two worst days of TOM. And yes, most of the extra calories come from sweets. I also don't exercise during those days.

It's okay because that's what I need to comfortably make it through. After the worst is over, I start being more active again and lower the sweet count to around 1 serving per day.

A lot of the journey is just about making decisions that work for you long term. If you want it, just figure out how to fit it in, even if that means taking your weight loss slower so that you don't feel too deprived.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I do better if I completely stay away from those foods. Depending on the day, the one chocolate might have messed up everything else.
    Ask your husband to be your partner in this by keeping it out of the house.
    Instead of walking, do mat or chair exercises on youtube/ with dvds by saving your knees. Also, icing your knees twice a day helps bring down the inflammation.

I also have the same problem. We're all not the same in this respect.
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies, I haven't been back on plan very long, I know I'm to blame, I'm addicted to sugar, sometimes I'm ok and can say no, other times I can't. I thought if I put pen to paper as it were, I might be able to help myself, rather than give in.

I have been losing, gaining weight for the last 20yr, first time 3 stone. Two year ago I was at a happy weight and I will get back down, because I felt good. Might have a few blips along the way but I will get there.

I actually like my walking, it gets me out of the house, gives me, me time, I sit on a bench up in the fields and just think about things.