Other T2 Diabetics controlling with just diet and exercise?

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My dr. thinks we can control it with just diet and exercise, at least for a long time. I'd really like to make some MFP friends who are doing this to have be a support network for each other. I have joined a diabetic group here, but while it has a ton of members, lately there is basically no real activity.

Replies

• romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 about 3 months ago now. Unfortunately I am currently on 4 pills a day. My doctor is optimistic though that once the numbers get under control that diet and exercise will play a big part in being able to cut back on the medication that I am taking. That is very important to me as I do not want to be taking something that I don't absolutely need. I have been working hard! My next appt is in mid January. I am quite anxious to see what changes have taken place.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years back. I was on various meds and injections to help control mine. Under my doctor's supervision, I followed a low carb diet, along with exercise and the meds that I began improving. After a little over a year and 100+ lbs lost, it went into remission. No longer on meds and 3 years later, I get my blood work checked every 6 months and no signs of ever having it. I still exercise and watch my diet but I am not as carb restrictive as I was in the past.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    I was diagnosed a few years back. I was on various meds and injections to help control mine. Under my doctor's supervision, I followed a low carb diet, along with exercise and the meds that I began improving. After a little over a year and 100+ lbs lost, it went into remission. No longer on meds and 3 years later, I get my blood work checked every 6 months and no signs of ever having it. I still exercise and watch my diet but I am not as carb restrictive as I was in the past.

lacroyx that is an awesome report of how you over time got your type 2 diabetes into remission and kept it there for three years so far.

• MiggyAZ
    MiggyAZ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed as well and we are going to control it with diet and exercise also. I am learning what I can about how to eat lower carb now.
  • marisamastrangelo
    Options
    Hi.. I was diagnosed at 14 with type one. About 4 years ago I had gastric done. Now I weigh 140 used to weigh 225. Yet now that I got used to eatting like a normal person I have become type two. Im on two pills a day and my sugars are still high. I try to eat right but I cant seen to give up sweets or carbs. My eye sight is bad due to years of my sugars being high. So pretty much I have to get my sugars low so I do not become blind. Im 36 mom of three and dont want that. Stress is high and I gained 10 pounds in 3 months. Trying to lose the ten pounds and work out . I want to be healthy. Hoping anyone would help me get to my goal.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi I am prediabetic which is why I am here to prevent getting Type 2, strong family history and I have an interest in diabetes if you'd like to make me your buddy :)
  • gorilla1975
    gorilla1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been a T2 Diabetic for 14 years on oral meds. Since May 2013, I have lost approx 50 lbs doing cardio exercise until Nov 2014. Since then I do a combination of Weight lifting and cardio which has seemed to really help my blood sugar readings. I have eliminated 1 oral med and recently advised I could possibly cut my other oral med in half. I feel the weight lifting is much more important in controlling my blood sugars and has helped me reduce body fat percentages over just cardio exercise. I also take a strong multi vitamin and fish oil daily. I try to keep most of my carbs to oatmeal, fruits and vegetables. I eat a lot of grilled salmon, chicken. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as Type 2 several years back. I started with 1.5 hrs a day in the gym. 45 min of intense strength training, 45 min of cardio. Everyday, and intense. Burning off my glycogen, trying to build muscle. My blood sugar got under control within a few weeks and I haven't needed meds since.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic a few years ago and my doctor wanted to put me on medication. I told her absolutely NO and told her this I can get under control without drugs (like my Graves disease and high blood pressure). With a renewed knowledge of nutrition and nutritional labels I reversed (my doctor removed it from my medical record) my Type 2 diagnosis by diet and elimination of sugary sweet items.

Today, after keeping the weight off for more than two years, my doctor uses me as an example to her other patients that it can be done. Yes, it can be done! :smiley:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2 in 2012 and originally prescribed 2000 mg metformin daily . I used the information from the Newcastle study below.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

After losing 10% of bodyweight, I was given license to experiment with reducing medication. A year later, when I was 20% down on highest bodyweight, I was only taking a single 500 mg tablet every other day, while maintaining normal BG. At this point I was instructed to quit medication altogether.

Since stopping medication last year, my HBA1C has been 4.7 to 5.0 so on the lower end of normal. I don't really watch my carb intake or the GI of foods anymore. That said, I do find my appetite is easier to control if I limit carbs to about 40g per meal or sitting. Blood glucose spikes are followed by insulin spikes which leave my BG low a few hours later. Low BG makes me feel ravenous.