Roughly how long will it take me to lose this amount of weight?

Options
I eat around (I rarely go over) 1400 calories every day, I also walk and cycle regularly.
I'm 5''6 and I would like to go from 136 pounds to 120 pounds, could someone tell me roughly how long this will take me? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Get your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) number, subtract 1400. That's your daily deficit. You can get your TDEE at Scooby Calculator or here at MFP when you put your stats into your goals.

You want to lose 16 pounds, which is 56,000 calories. Divide 56,000 by your daily deficit and you will have a rough idea of how many days it will take to lose 16 pounds.

It will be a rough estimate, not a perfect estimate, because as you lose, your TDEE will decrease. If you are good at amelioration, you can figure that out to get a much more exact number.

For the record, I lost 17 pounds in 90 days.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell without knowing your TDEE. Probably 4-6 months at the least, as you're already at a healthy weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the mirror? I think you should reconsider your goal. Body recomposition should something better for you. You look very lean now.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with queenliz. But we all have our hang ups.

There are too many factors in play to give you any good guesses. Things like age, metabolism, how many calories are burning during exercise, and with less to lose (your current weight is my goal weight) at your height, it probably won't be super quick.

Using TDEE is your best bet.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Is that you in the mirror? I think you should reconsider your goal. Body recomposition should something better for you. You look very lean now.

Agree. Losing weight won't get your body the way you want it, even if it gets you the number on the scale.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Get your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) number, subtract 1400. That's your daily deficit. You can get your TDEE at Scooby Calculator or here at MFP when you put your stats into your goals.

You want to lose 16 pounds, which is 56,000 calories. Divide 56,000 by your daily deficit and you will have a rough idea of how many days it will take to lose 16 pounds.

It will be a rough estimate, not a perfect estimate, because as you lose, your TDEE will decrease. If you are good at amelioration, you can figure that out to get a much more exact number.

TDEE minus 1400?? No. For someone trying to lose only 16 pounds, she should set it to a 250-500 cal deficit per day. 1400 cal deficit would be HUGE, where are you getting this from?

OP find your TDEE, eat 250-500 cals less than that per day and you can reach your goal in 16-32 weeks.

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are weighing your food and measuring your liquids. Accuracy is key to keeping a proper deficit!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    between a month and 10 years, depending on you.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »

TDEE minus 1400?? No. For someone trying to lose only 16 pounds, she should set it to a 250-500 cal deficit per day. 1400 cal deficit would be HUGE, where are you getting this from?

OP find your TDEE, eat 250-500 cals less than that per day and you can reach your goal in 16-32 weeks.

i believe you have misread: 1400 is the amount of calories OP is eating. TDEE minus the amount of calories eaten equals the deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    16 lbs should take 26ish weeks (1lb/week for 6 weeks and 0.5lbs/week for 20 weeks)
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Agree. Losing weight won't get your body the way you want it, even if it gets you the number on the scale.

Yup. OP, you should honestly be thinking about lifting, not trying to drop weight. A lot of people that drop weight just to watch the number go down end up looking sickly at the end. Muscle gives your frame shape (and is just plain healthy). And when I say weight training, I mean actual weight training. Stay away from the tiny pink dumbells lol.

ig5aux1y0ddw.jpg

• sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

wow how insightful. Please, tell us more.

• miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options

or never
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

Yup. OP, you should honestly be thinking about lifting, not trying to drop weight. A lot of people that drop weight just to watch the number go down end up looking sickly at the end. Muscle gives your frame shape (and is just plain healthy). And when I say weight training, I mean actual weight training. Stay away from the tiny pink dumbells lol.

ig5aux1y0ddw.jpg

Unless the tiny pink dumbbells are what you can handle right now, in which case, you rock those things with good form until you can get all your reps with ease, then add more weight. Lifting heavy is about lifting heavy for you, not what someone else might consider heavy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd be shooting for about 6 months or so...which is about what I'm shooting for to drop about 10 Lbs and get to 10ish% BF.

Really, though, you should evaluate whether you actually need to lose weight or just work on composition.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

wow how insightful. Please, tell us more.

I'd love to but I would need more info from her about what she means by regularly, as well as her family's weight history etc, and even then it would only be a guess.

I also just couldn't compete with the info you left them before I had a chance, lol. It was bang on perfect.

let me know next time you come back to New York - I would absolutely DO ANYTHING TO SEE YOU AGAIN IN PERSON. It would just make my day.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

ig5aux1y0ddw.jpg

Unless the tiny pink dumbbells are what you can handle right now, in which case, you rock those things with good form until you can get all your reps with ease, then add more weight. Lifting heavy is about lifting heavy for you, not what someone else might consider heavy.

This was mostly a nod to this really fantastic write up about weight lifting, with Point #2 in mind : acaloriecounter.com/weight-training-results.php

"Now, this doesn't mean you need to go outside and try to pick up a car. It just means you need to do things that are challenging for YOU. And, take my word for it, I don't care if you are 15 or 50, male or female, there is no healthy adult on the planet who is going to be challenged by a 3lb dumbbell."