over 300 pounds - something needs to change!

Options
Hi everyone! So I've actually been a member of MFP for several years now, but only recently decided to commit to making changes. The changes came because of a scare I'm going through. I got married about a year ago, and I noticed one day that my fingers were swelling pretty badly and the skin around my ring was red. I went to take off the ring and it was stuck, and it took me 30 minutes to take off the ring. I knew at that point, that something was wrong.

I've always been big, at my smallest I was a size 12 in high school. I'm 5'8". I gained about 80 pounds following the birth of my daughter. However, rather than trying to lose that weight, I slowly became more and more sedentary. I also ate anything and everything I wanted.

Back to the present. So I made a doctor's appointment to have some tests run, because I knew swelling like that was not normal, especially given that it wasn't my TOM or anything. When I went in, my blood pressure was pre-hypertensive, and my weight was 322. My test results came back that they think there is an issue with my thyroid. I just went back for more blood work and I'm waiting for the results from that to do a diagnosis.

So while I've been waiting, I've started to just pay more attention to my lifestyle. I came back to MFP and started logging my food, not making any changes, but just logging everything I ate. WOW! I was floored. I was easily going over 3000 calories a day. On top of that, I was doing absolutely no exercise. I'm amazed that I didn't get even bigger!

So that's when I decided that change is necessary. I cut out all regular soda and have solely been drinking coke cherry zero, and only 1-2 a day. I'm drinking at least 5 bottles of water a day. I'm starting to make some healthier snacking choices, such as carrots or cherry tomatoes, or apple chips, or flavored rice cakes. For breakfast, I'm drinking either a Naked smoothie or a homemade smoothie, with fruit. I was eating a breakfast sandwich with that but when I discovered how much sodium was in those, I cut them out. I'm usually eating a turkey, veggie and hummus sandwich on multigrain bread for lunch, with fruit and yogurt. The hardest meal for me continues to be dinner, because my husband and I revert to unhealthy recipes and he and my daughter aren't very receptive to healthy changes.

Yesterday, I had a bad day. I was starving by the time I left work (I'm a teacher), and had a food binge. I told my husband that has to stop. NO more fast food, no more junk, and I have to move more. I started today with the goal of doing the 10000 steps, just in an effort to get me moving more. I'm happy to report that 2 hours into my day I am a quarter of the way to my goal! I've been doing laps around my classroom. I'm enjoying it!

Right now, I just want some friends for encouragement. I'm at 322, and I figure my first goal is to lose 100 pounds. Anyone who is willing to add me, please do, and anyone who is willing to share some healthy, quick, inexpensive dinner recipes, I'd love to hear them! Thanks all!

Replies

• redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me as a friend. I started 2014 at over 300 lbs, and am now 6 lbs away from seeing my weight start with a "1" :smile: My initial goal is to get down to 175 and then assess from there what I want my final goal to be.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me if you like. :) Its great you are making a change for the better. My hubby and kids are not very supportive either so I totally get that. I've done well coming up with recipes they'll eat without to much complaint now, so maybe I could be of help there?
  • clearlybrunette
    clearlybrunette Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a really unhealthy eater- I try to implement changes but he refuses but knows I need to do what I have to do to be healthy. I did win the other night, however, because I used whole wheat tortilla four our quesadillas and he didn't even notice the change! I just recently had a baby and i have lost all of the weight i gained during the pregnancy plus some.....I refuse to let my weight continue to climb. I have to get healthy for my child. You can do this! You are so important and you look like you are moving in the right direction!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Add me if you wish, I'm around all the time. Regarding recipes, there are plenty around the 'net. I'm particularly partial to skinnytaste.com myself. The bonus is that everything I've made off that site has been tastier than much, possibly most, the "full junk" stuff I/we ate before. You could probably make a bunch of recipes that the family would love and wouldn't even realize they were eating healthy. Pro tip: check out the crockpot recipes in particular.

Good luck with your journey. Realize there will be ups and downs. Roll with those and keep going. You'll do well.
  • lorbie49
    lorbie49 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am starting over again also. I lost quite a bit of weight a couple of years ago, but have gained back 30 pounds. I am also starting again today. I never got to my goal and I let bad habits and stress snacking back in! PLease feel free to add me. I need some support along the way too!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'll add you. I started at 260 in October 2012 with 130lbs to lose. I got pregnant shortly after starting, deleted my first account, but kept my weight gain low and started this one after my 6 weeks check up. I'm now 55lbs away from my goal weight.
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. You can do this and we are here to support you
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I'd be happy to help support you. Adding you now. :)
  • willieverbethatgirl
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I started at around 311lbs and am now down to 299 :) you can definitely do this, and I'm here if you need support :)
  • KTRXS
    KTRXS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is cutting down on carbs (i.e. simple sugars). That means things like potatoes, breads, rice, etc. The fact your hungry isn't a bad thing. IT just means your body needs time to adapt to less intake. I would up your water intake to 8+ glasses a day. Eat more protein and fats. Less carbs. Your going to feel full for longer.

Your brain is going nuts because its used to all that sugar stimulus. If you can refrain for 7 days from binging you will find it gets easier. This is a lifetime of ED talking by the way. I eat pretty low carb since stuff like bread and cookies makes me balloon up and gives me terrible cravings. I means some people can do that moderation thing, I can't.
  • Serendipity5215
    Serendipity5215 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also had thyroid issues after the birth of my kids, and gained a ton of weight thereafter... I work at a school as well ~ busy job, but worth it! Sounds like you are on the right path toward a healthier lifestyle :)
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Recipes depend on what you like... there are TONS of recipes to choose from. I just recently found and tried a quinoa enchilada recipe that I tweaked to add chicken with NO onions. It was absolutely delicious and still healthy!!

Quinoa Enchilada Casserole

Prep Time 10 minutes
    Cook Time 30 minutes
    Total Time 40 minutes

Yield 6 servings

A lightened-up, healthy enchilada bake that you can enjoy guilt-free, chockfull of quinoa, black beans and cheesy goodness. And the leftovers taste even better!

Ingredients
    (I added 1 lb. chicken breast that I marinated with cumin and chili powdered then grilled on my Foreman)
    1 cup quinoa
    1 can (10-ounce) mild enchilada sauce
    1 can (4-ounce) chopped green chiles, drained
    1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted (I used a fresh ear of corn)
    1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (not a fan of so I skipped this)
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
    1 Roma tomato, diced

Instructions
    In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8x8 or 2 quart baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
    In a large bowl, combine quinoa, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
    Spread quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 15 minutes.
    Serve immediately, garnished with avocado and tomato, if desired.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I know what it's like to have a husband that refuses to eat healthy, ugh!
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me! I'm looking for as much motivation as I can get! Trying to lose 39 pounds by June 1st.
  • newtonwayne
    newtonwayne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb high fat diet . I have lost 36 LBS.
    I average 2 Lbs. loss a week.
    Goals are 70% Fat, 25% Protein 05% Carbs
    It works for me. Others ?
    Started 325 Lbs. now at 289 Lbs. Goal is 199 Lbs.
    If I can help I will