Did anyone else have issues after quitting smoking?

Options
2»

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I quit smoking 20 days ago and changed my eating habits and exercise habits about 30 days ago. I know that smoking wreaks havoc on your metabolism. I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with losing weight after they quit smoking. If so did you find a way to fix your metabolism or did it return to normal on its own? If it returned to normal on its own approx. how long does this take? And I know gaining a little weight is better than continuing to smoke but my goal is to lose weight. I'm 5'7 185 lbs and I'm 29 years old.

Unless you're smoking an insane amount before you quit, I wouldn't expect a huge difference. If you're doing what you're supposed to be doing on this site, you'll still be losing weight. Good luck! This was one of the hardest AND most gratifying things I've ever done and I hope the same for you.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    you are right, smoking does increase your metabolism, but it's because it speeds up your heart. I just read a summary of this clinical study re: smoking and metabolism, and apparently smoking a cigarette increases your heart rate about 10 bpm, which is like adding 90lbs of weight to your body. so yes, it DOES increase your metabolism, but it's not good for you, or your heart or truly any aspect of your life. exercise increases your metabolism! housework will speed metabolism! yard work! whatever.

Studies show any effect of nicotine on metabolism is small and short-lived.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/72/2/401

Also, logically, those who have the highest metabolism, elite athletes, also have the lowest resting heart rates, so this explanation regarding increased heart rate makes no sense.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    you are right, smoking does increase your metabolism, but it's because it speeds up your heart. I just read a summary of this clinical study re: smoking and metabolism, and apparently smoking a cigarette increases your heart rate about 10 bpm, which is like adding 90lbs of weight to your body. so yes, it DOES increase your metabolism, but it's not good for you, or your heart or truly any aspect of your life. exercise increases your metabolism! housework will speed metabolism! yard work! whatever.

Studies show any effect of nicotine on metabolism is small and short-lived.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/72/2/401

Also, logically, those who have the highest metabolism, elite athletes, also have the lowest resting heart rates, so this explanation regarding increased heart rate makes no sense.

Hair-splitting - it may be short-lived, but seeing as smokers are addicted, and therefore smoke a lot, it's effectively going on all the time. Nicotine does raise the heart rate. The increased metabolism in smokers is well-documented.
  • lauramegan28
    lauramegan28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day and couldn't smoke at work so at least 9hrs a day + 7 hrs at night (sleeping) so I was smoking a cigarrette every 24 min! So yes my metabolism was up higher for those 8 hrs I wasn't working or sleeping. But I think its getting better the more I exercise and now I can go longer without needing to stop due to my breathing and everything getting easier. So I think it will take maybe another month to see the increase in weight loss rate but I am happy to be done smoking and happy to be making changes in the right direction to be healthier all around!
    @Mrtolerable yes I do feel a lot cleaner and it has prompted me to make a complete lifestyle change. Even my kids are working out with me! Not that they need it they have energy for days and days lol. Now if only I could get hubby on board he still smokes (he's extremely supportive of me quitting hes just not ready yet) but I think if I just lead by example eventually he will follow suit. But hes naturally skinny so I'll have to make some extreme changes to my appearance before he follows suit!
  • LaurenCheek
    LaurenCheek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I vape very frequently. I smoked casually and when extremely stressed out last year, but now I just vape but I do it ALL the time. I can sense when I'm full now when eating a meal, because I grow disinterested in the food on my plate and yearn for my nicotine hit. My weight loss has been faster than anticipated, and I at least partially attribute it to the metabolism boost/appetite suppression effects of the nicotine. Now, I'm in a mental bind because I don't wish to rely on vaping my whole life, but it has definitely become a crutch of sorts in my life. Maybe once I get to maintenance weight level, I will start trying to stop. It scares me to give it up, too. Hang in there! Maybe I can join you one day and lay off the nicotine.
  • lauramegan28
    lauramegan28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @laurenCheek I know the feeling! its discouraging to lose slow now that I'm not smoking and when I was smoking all I had to do was eat less and I would drop 15 to 20 lbs in a month. And I could still drink all the pop I wanted! But I know it seems great now but 30 years down the road you could have a heart attack or worse cancer because nicotine speeds up your heart, not harping though! I refuse to be one of those people where I quit so now I'm going to lecture smokers. My hubby still smokes I don't let it get to me because its his choice. Just take it slow if you truly want to quit I found it easiest to break my routine habits first. First don't smoke right after a meal wait an hr. Then stop smoking in the car. Then stop smoking as soon as I wake up etc etc. That made it a lot easier for me.
  • LaurenCheek
    LaurenCheek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice @lauramegan! I love your idea of breaking one habit at a time. My favorite is post-meal smoking. Oh, how I love to hit the vape after a meal! :(