Moving to Maintenance for the holidays

Options
Who's doing it? Bad idea? I intend to "cycle" my calories, staying low on the days I can and allowing myself to indulge a bit for parties, etc. My goal is to keep my weekly average at or below maintenance level until the first of the new year, at which point I'll drop back down to a 500 calorie deficit per day. What is everyone else doing from now through the New Year?

Replies

• simply_sarah_
    simply_sarah_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me! I might do maintenance as well...
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of doing the same thing. I am not changing my calorie goal on here, though, because that gives me way too much permission. But yeah, there have been a few days interspersed where I'm 600 calories over "goal" which is right about maintenance, and I'm shooting for a 250-500 cal deficit on "non-festive" days. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm training and I'm eating to support my training...

Personally, I think the holiday season is a great time for people to start practicing portion control and moderation and self control rather than worrying about actually losing weight. These things are ultimately the most important for long term success...IMHO, if people are able to maintain during the holiday season then that's a win.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm training and I'm eating to support my training...

Personally, I think the holiday season is a great time for people to start practicing portion control and moderation and self control rather than worrying about actually losing weight. These things are ultimately the most important for long term success...IMHO, if people are able to maintain during the holiday season then that's a win.

Completely agreed. I definitely didn't change my calorie goals and I am making the holiday parties fit my goals. But if I go over a bit I don't beat myself up about it. I am NOT a fan of restricting calories the next day by a significant amount because I went over the day before, or vice versa. That just spirals out of control for me and I lose track of which day I'm making up for, etc. I will either hit the gym and not log it or just start fresh. If you are consistent, a few hundred calories over won't make that big of a difference - especially in the long run.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same thing. I'm set to maintenance but am still aiming to be a little under every day (150-250 cals) So far so good. Somedays I'm still at my regular 750 daily deficit because of excercise. But I'd rather do it this way than see the red numbers. They usually make me either depressed, or say to Heck with it, and go Waaayy overboard. This way I'm still being accountable.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am not changing my goals on here (Like someone above) but if I eat at maintenance here and there then I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I am still logging and keeping things in moderation. Plus for me I needed a bit of a break anyways!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a bulk during the holidays, but then again I'm due for one, even if I wasn't I would make that exception, because food and booze.