Vitamin C?

Options
I dont eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and I normally only get OJ when I'm already sick. My friend finally convinced me to start taking vitamin C (because I am sick like every other month, and I get bronchitis yearly). She told me to take 2 500mg a day, the bottle says to take 1 a day. she says when she's sick she takes 4-5 daily! So should I follow the bottle? how much Vitamin C do you actually need?

Replies

• carjohnson2
    Options
    Vitamin C is water soluable. After about 500 to 1000 units you'll lose it in your urine. I don't believe C is toxic but I think, (look it up) excess amounts may cause kidney stones. In this case more isn't always better.
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    You'll literally pee out excess vitamin C.
    There are NO studies to support megadosing of vitamin C or it's ability to ward off or fight infection.

There is some link to Vitamin D and immune system strength, however.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    There are NO studies to support megadosing of vitamin C or it's ability to ward off or fight infection.

YES, it is a myth that Vitamin C helps your immune or shortens a cold. I googled a lot before buying a jar and understood it would not do anything for a cold but the bottle was $3 so I thought it would be good to have. I also bought calcium with vitamin D.

I am currently sick as a dog, my first one in 2 years, it has nothing to do with vitamins I started taking in January. I've eaten a lot of veggies for years, your body eventually succumbs to the germs around you and your immune gives in.

I'm still at work though, wooo! I haven’t even taken a day-time pill yet, I hold out until I'm really dying since meds should be used sparingly to prevent becoming immune to them.
  • albragg
    albragg Posts: 55
    Options
    I don't know, when I take Vit C I get sick less frequently and it helps shorten a cold. Vit C helps to oxidize unwanted viruses in the body if your immune system can't get to them. It doesn't improve your immune system, just helps it out a little. I personally am a fan of it.