Treadmill boredom

Options
For those of you who run on a treadmill, how do you stop from getting bored? I have found that even when I feel like I could physically keep going, I have to jump off and do something else because I am SO BORED. I have my iPod in and love the music I listen to, but it's still boring after 30 minutes. I am trying to train for a 5k and the weather has been so unpredictable lately that I haven't been able to run outside. I did 35 minutes yesterday and was so excited to get off, but I think I could have gone longer/further physically. Any tips, or do I just have to buck up and get over the boredom?

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Welcome to cardio. lol.
    You really have to want it.
    music can only keep you entertained for so long.
    I usually try to beat my previous times/distance so it keeps me motivated.
    That or I do interval training, so I sprint for 30-45 seconds then slow down for a bit. With that it's easy to keep saying "one more time then I can stop".
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    Same here! I started running on a treadmill back in January...was bored to death!! Having my ipod or the tv on didn't help me at all. It was a struggle to stay on the treadmill. I just waited til the weather got warmer to run outside. :)
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I walk quickly on the treadmill, rather than run. I do a hill program and walk about 3 miles a session. (Weak ankle that doesn't need unessecary pounding)

I started off listening to music on the treadmill, but quickly got bored.

So I switched to listening to a book on tape via my iPod. That lasted for about a week before I got bored with that.

Then I got the bright idea of reading my Kindle while I walk. BINGO! Problem solved. I'm reading Game of Thrones and it's so darn sexy I don't want the treadmill to stop! I want to keep on reading! I just got home from my workout at the gym and can't wait to workout tomorrow so I can keep on reading.

It seems I jump on the treadmill, start walking and reading and before you know it my 3 miles have wizzzzzed by!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Interval training? Walking backwards? Walking on your hands (no, just kidding).:smile:
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    I did a lot of training on a treadmill years ago. Helped me get back into shape. Now I can't stand them. Mine also broke and I didn't want to replace it, or join a gym just to use a treadmill. Instead I invested a little in some decent running gear, headlamp, etc. so I can run outside anytime. I am in North Carolina, though, so our climate is pretty moderate. I used to live in Ottawa and winter training was tough without a treadmill for some of those days.

I logged a total of 4 miles on a treadmill last year (out of almost 1600 miles). That was on a hotel treadmill the day after a marathon.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to read when I run - too much bouncing I guess. If it is a shorter workout, I just listen to music and COUNT EVERY MINUTE! For longer indoor runs, I've started streaming NetFlix and Hulu on my iPad. I pick a movie or even old television series, and then I run until it is done. A much better distraction! :tongue:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Music or I watch shows on my laptop that is set up infront of my treadmill. I also run intervals a lot on the treadmill. It helps with the boredom. Sprint/jog a lap, jog/walk a lap....
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i set mini goals while on the treadmill for myself. Like ok I can get to five more minutes if it is at 35 minutes so I am at an even 40. Or I tell myself it is at 3.75 miles I can work it to an even 4. or I burned 360 calories, what is another 40 after 360? I got this! just things like that seem to help me tremendously!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have a TV in front of my television and tape my favorite shows.... then, I only allow myself to watch those shows while I'm on the treadmill. Also, try mixing up your routine- try different inclines, skip sideways on the treadmill, or even go backwards on an incline.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Welcome to cardio. lol.
    You really have to want it.
    music can only keep you entertained for so long.
    I usually try to beat my previous times/distance so it keeps me motivated.
    That or I do interval training, so I sprint for 30-45 seconds then slow down for a bit. With that it's easy to keep saying "one more time then I can stop".

I agree.

One of the best things to do is to try to be some goal or set a personal record, otherwise you're simply...um...running in place.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you've got access to a TV/DVD player you might try treadmill exercise DVDs.

Tracey Staehle: Walking Strong & Walking Stronger. At least one is available from Netflix. Hills, lunges, weights - challenging.

There is also Treadmill Challengers & Runervals (not tried these).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't run... Cause I'd get too bored! Instead I walk on a treadmill and play around the with incline and speed every few minutes or so. Stops me from getting bored and allows me to vary to what I'm doing.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I watch DVD's. Soprano's,Sex In the City, anything to keep me entertained.
  • funsover
    funsover Posts: 39
    Options
    I watch tv shows like Addicted to Food, X-weighted, Eat yourself Sexy while running on my treadmill. All GREAT incentives to keep the burn going.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I google HIIT treadmill workouts and try to do something different that has me focused on one interval at a time.

Or watch some TV, brisk incline walking during the show, running for commercials.

I read when I first started using it, but can't run and read.

Music does NOT work for me, but the (free) c25K podcasts do.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, thank you all for the amazing ideas! I will try a few out and see what works best. The treadmills at our gym do have TVs on some of them, I could try that out - that and the downloadable books are right up my alley. Didn't even think about that one! Thank you thank you!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Treadmill boredom is the main reason I run outside for most of the year. That goes for any indoor cardio. I rarely find myself feeling bored outdoors...even if I'm doing absolutely nothing. Inside I become bored quickly if I don't find a way to occupy my body and mind. If I'm running on a treadmill I need music or television or else 10 minutes seems more like 30.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    When I had a treadmill at home, I used to play video games. Road rash was awesome on the treadmill, but I couldn't run. I also did Wii running on the treadmill since I hate running in place. It worked pretty good.

Now I usually just do HIIT on the treadmill. 20 to 30 minutes isn't that long, and I can burn alot of calories doing it.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Treadmill boredom is the main reason I run outside for most of the year. That goes for any indoor cardio. I rarely find myself feeling bored outdoors...even if I'm doing absolutely nothing. Inside I become bored quickly if I don't find a way to occupy my body and mind. If I'm running on a treadmill I need music or television or else 10 minutes seems more like 30.

See I'm the opposite! I get so bored running outside, not being able to watch the distance and no my exact speed. Plus I am a LOT slower outside. I can doing 2.5 miles in 30 min on the treadmill, and push myself harder, where outside, I get bored and give up much easier and don't push myself as hard.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I used to be a die hard miller until mine finally choked to death in the middle of a run......not so happy, started running outside, slow and go, I felt it more and now I hate the mill. Outside has soooo many more options for routes, goals, etc. I use a nike+ to track my distance and pace and I use that instead of the inaccurate mill information to increase my speed or distance. Plus you live in Denver, there is so much to see around there, I don't know how your summer temps get but I would suggest getting a few runs in a month outside to help break up the mill boredom.