Treadmill & Working the Glutes

Options
Just need some advice on what would be the best workout for the glutes on a treadmill?
Highest incline, slow pace? Sprints? Mid incline fast pace??
I normally hit the stepper to work the booty, but I don't have access to one right now.. so the treadmill is what I have to work with. **And for those who are going to suggest squats/lunges, etc.. I am already doing all of that on leg day. I strictly just want to know about treadmill work**
Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do them all!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I guess you would want incline...I know when I'm running hills it does work the glutes...but honestly, it's working that muscle from more of an endurance standpoint more than anything else.

Cardio work of any kind has very little impact on your composition...it'll have some, but it's pretty minimal...to the extent that worrying about it and trying to "hit your glutes" with a cardio workout is not worth worrying about.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    glute work on the treadmill isn't going to do anything more for you than your squats/lunges.

it's for cardio.
    Do your cardio on the cardio equipment- and do you resistance training on the floor.

You're not gaining anything but personal feel good points by making your treadmill about glute work.

But- walk up hill/incline- backwards.
    walk up forwards

hammys and glutes- easy peasy.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Got a stairwell?
    I'd just run the stairs
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Yes, high inclines is the way you'll feel it in the hams and glutes on the treadmill. I do not run at all so my cardio consists of alternating the elliptical and the treadmill. On treadmill days, high incline intervals is my go-to.
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with the either poster leave the treadmill to cardio work outs. For glutes, I would do pistols, deadlifts and squats.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with the either poster leave the treadmill to cardio work outs. For glutes, I would do pistols, deadlifts and squats.

It says in my post that I am lifting weights- doing squats , box jumps, lunges, etc. I am only asking what would be best when using the treadmill. I love this site- but I will never understand how people always feel the need to correct you, no matter what you ask. I even took the time to write that I am lifting weights but that's not what my question was about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

It says in my post that I am lifting weights- doing squats , box jumps, lunges, etc. I am only asking what would be best when using the treadmill. I love this site- but I will never understand how people always feel the need to correct you, no matter what you ask. I even took the time to write that I am lifting weights but that's not what my question was about.

The problem is that the correct answer to your question is not what you want to here...you aren't getting any more appreciable benefit from trying to target something you're already hitting properly with something that really isn't designed for that.

Do your cardio work for your cardiovascular health and to increase your overall level of fitness...you will have the added benefits of some muscular endurance in those muscles...and doing hills and sprints and intervals are all going to effect that in a different way (so do them all)...but you aren't getting any appreciable benefit from trying to target your glutes...your'e making things overly complicated when in reality, they are really simple.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I think you got the answer already. Incline is about the only thing you could do to have more glute work but you wont get much more out of it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

It is funny everytime. Your questions already been answer which is pointless to worry about glutes on a treadmill. What more do you want? To hear that it does anything more.
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges at an incline on the treadmill...
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would go incline treadmill, and sprinting that might make it better, more challenging :-)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sumo deadlift the treadmilll.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

We aren't correcting you- we SAW that you do those things.

What we are saying as a treadmill isn't for those things- it's for running/walking

so- do that on there- and stop worrying about targeting your glutes on a treadmill- if you are doing squats and lunges- you don't need to do butt burnout workouts on a treadmill.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Got a stairwell?
    I'd just run the stairs

^^ This.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

You win the thread!
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Ladies and Gentlemen.....we have a winner!! Great answer!!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical or stair stepper would be better choices for getting some glute work with your cardio.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You won't get glute work on an eliptical, or a treadmill.

Stair stepper maybe. Spend an hour with a 70# pack on your back, and it should work.