Any pictures, tips or sucess stories of women between 5' 7" and 5' 9 without weight loss surgery?

Options
Ivelissegmorales
Ivelissegmorales Posts: 65 Member
edited December 2014 in Success Stories
I'm 5 7" and I'm in the process of changing my lifestyle forever. I would like to get motivational pictures, tips and stories of other girls that have been working hard without weight loss surgery. Thanks!

Replies

• Ivelissegmorales
    Options
    I started this new life on October 21, 2014 and I have lost 37 pounds!
  • Ivelissegmorales
    Options
  • Mischabellaa
    Mischabellaa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good luck on journey!. I am 5ft 8, i havent had any kind of surgery. I basically stay under the MFP goal..and exercise. I go to the gym, and walk around work on break and lunch( about 3 miles a day)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'8. Starting weight below is 228. Two and a half years later at 188! I did it all through just changing my lifestyle. I used MFP on and off during the course of time. I am now extremely active (because I want to be) and eat completely different. I've lost some friends, but I've gained some amazing ones who support me. It has been quite the journey, but is has been so, so, so worth it!

My biggest tips are to be consistent and never give up. If you fall down, get back up. I also keep track of non-scale victories. From BMI and measurements to going down a jean size and 5k run times, etc. Also make a list of the reasons why you started this journey, it will come in handy in the future when you hit a wall or two (or twenty ;)) Best of luck!!!

ern9iag0pwtv.png
    b&a.png 379.2K
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8".

I'm 37 years old and until this year, I had always been over 200 lb since I was fifteen or so.

The heaviest ever recorded for me was 307 lb.
    On 3-25-13, I started MFP at 262 lb.
    At this time last year I was at 200 lb.
    Now I weigh 169 and feel pretty happy and close to my end goal of 150-160s.

Between my heaviest and the date I joined MFP, it took me almost 5 years to lose the first 40-50 lb. It was SO much harder when I was just "trying to eat healthy" on my own without counting calories. I actually exercised more then, too, then wound up sometimes going overboard with food because I was so hungry from all the exercise and I truly didn't understand how it all worked!

Joining this site and starting to get the whole connection between calories in/calories out, helped make it SO much easier for me. I don't want to give the impression that I am inactive...I do a lot of walking, hiking, and some biking. HUGELY important for health and wellbeing! But for weight loss, it's true when they say that it happens in the kitchen not the gym.

My biggest advice is to log honestly and completely every single day.

• Ivelissegmorales
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8. Starting weight below is 228. Two and a half years later at 188! I did it all through just changing my lifestyle. I used MFP on and off during the course of time. I am now extremely active (because I want to be) and eat completely different. I've lost some friends, but I've gained some amazing ones who support me. It has been quite the journey, but is has been so, so, so worth it!

My biggest tips are to be consistent and never give up. If you fall down, get back up. I also keep track of non-scale victories. From BMI and measurements to going down a jean size and 5k run times, etc. Also make a list of the reasons why you started this journey, it will come in handy in the future when you hit a wall or two (or twenty ;)) Best of luck!!!

ern9iag0pwtv.png

Wow! You look amazing! Congratulations!
  • Ivelissegmorales
    Options
    I am 5'8".

I'm 37 years old and until this year, I had always been over 200 lb since I was fifteen or so.

The heaviest ever recorded for me was 307 lb.
    On 3-25-13, I started MFP at 262 lb.
    At this time last year I was at 200 lb.
    Now I weigh 169 and feel pretty happy and close to my end goal of 150-160s.

Between my heaviest and the date I joined MFP, it took me almost 5 years to lose the first 40-50 lb. It was SO much harder when I was just "trying to eat healthy" on my own without counting calories. I actually exercised more then, too, then wound up sometimes going overboard with food because I was so hungry from all the exercise and I truly didn't understand how it all worked!

Joining this site and starting to get the whole connection between calories in/calories out, helped make it SO much easier for me. I don't want to give the impression that I am inactive...I do a lot of walking, hiking, and some biking. HUGELY important for health and wellbeing! But for weight loss, it's true when they say that it happens in the kitchen not the gym.

My biggest advice is to log honestly and completely every single day.

Thank you for the advice!
  • Ivelissegmorales
    Options
    Good luck on journey!. I am 5ft 8, i havent had any kind of surgery. I basically stay under the MFP goal..and exercise. I go to the gym, and walk around work on break and lunch( about 3 miles a day)

Thank you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow that's an amazing loss in a short time. Congratulations

I've been logging my calories accurately since June 1st and in that time have lost 41lbs (more at the start, now it's much slower as I'm set to 0.5lb a week as I'm much closer to the body I want) - I'm 5'8, 47, had 2 kids, weigh 171lbs now - it's all down to monitoring calories and the gym (with the help of a trainer once a week) and walking more

this is me at about 5lbs ago at 176lbs

a463fbd79676328a2a3c3ab287ffa0bb91c8.jpg

Good luck with your continued journey
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My tips

1) weigh all your food on a digital scale and log accurately - even if you are over - log it
    2) as you get used to your daily limits start to look at your calories as a weekly thing so you can save for nights out / special occasions
    3) do not cut out any foods that you love - eat them within your calories - I regularly have ice cream and chips
    4) get active - it's great for your mental state and commitment
    - I love my fitbit and I think my dog loves it too, I also love my trainer who pushes me every bloody week
    5) start a weights programme, lifting heavy - amazing for your body composition
    6) drink water
    7) start to learn what works for you, when you drop a size buy some new clothes, the mental lift is amazing - I've gone from a large UK 16 (US 12) to a UK 10-12 (US 6-8) and ebay has been my friend
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have no intention of getting surgery, but I also have set a really slow weight loss goal for myself to make sure I can keep up with fitness training so I don't end up with loose skin. I do calorie restriction for a few months and then maintain and exercise for a few months. I was ready to get back to calorie restriction and found out I was pregnant so I'm on hold for both right now but I'm bookmarking this thread for inspiration.

I have seen two other threads for women about our height if you want to look there for inspiration too.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1143596/attention-58-ish-women/p1

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/790005/58-511-women-before-after-pics/p1

As far as tips, remember to eat appropriately for your size. If you have too aggressive of a weight loss schedule it's going to make it difficult to stick with and maintain. Find a fitness activity you actually enjoy so it's something you want to do not something you feel like you have to do.

Best of luck with your journeys, and good job so far ladies!

• rogotzke81
    rogotzke81 Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and have gone from 200 pounds 1 year ago to 140 pounds today. It can be done! There are lots of lessons along the way, and you will relearn these lessons multiple times and at different weights.

1) Measure your body! Use the check-in feature here to measure your bust, waist, and hips. I update those figures every month or so, and I check in on my weight once a week (in the morning before breakfast). This is a great way to track progress and see your body change. You can go back into reports to see how you've changed over the last 3 months, 6 months, or year.

2) Measure your food! That one's a given, since you're here. Let's face it, estimation is hard. A measuring cup and a digital scale keep me honest.

3) Focus on eating good foods, not on avoiding bad foods. Dark leafy greens? Find recipes you like so you eat them every day or almost every day. Find vegetable-based recipes using super foods like cauliflower and kale and sweet potatoes (and always keep the skin on). Learn to think of fruit as a dessert. If you're just counting calories, you could be eating 1500 calories of garbage and think you're "passing the test" you've set up for yourself. While low calories will mean lower weight initially, you'll destroy your body if you still drink Diet Coke and eat Snickers bars, but just eat fewer of them. You need good food. The truth of it all is that you will be able to eat a lot of volume of good foods and still hit your calorie goals for the day.

4) Build muscle. And by this, I mean lift weights. 2-4 times per week. Buy a kettle bell or hand weights, find a beginner workout plan like Chris Powell's Total Body Transformation on Women's Health, and get to work. Muscle burns fat like crazy. Don't be afraid of bulking up! You'll slim down.

5) Eat enough! Some dieters don't eat a lot of food because they think they're not supposed to. Wrong. You destroy your metabolism that way. Eat enough food! Make sure those calories are nutrient rich and not empty. Also, this way you'll lose weight the right way -- slowly, and with time for your skin to adjust to the loss. Lose too quickly and you create a host of new problems for yourself.

6) Don't diet. Make lifestyle changes. Listen, I'm 140 pounds now because I changed the way I eat and exercise forever. I eventually kicked refined sugar out of my kitchen, gave up dairy and gluten 98% of the time, and learned to love vegan and Paleo cooking (and vegan and Paleo desserts like Chocolate-Covered Katie's homemade larabars). I like running now that my body can do it more easily without stressing out my joints. I can do it for hours. I love buying new clothes because, let's face it, clothing manufacturers make it really easy on you when you're a US size 2-4 and not a 12-14. More than any of that, though, I love how much better I feel in a healthy body.

7) Cook at home, learning about how food works and why it does what it does. Learn about macronutrients, that carbs give you a burst of energy right away for an hour or so, that proteins give you a moderate amount of energy for 3-4 hours, and that fats give you a low, stable energy for 5-6 hours. Eat a mixture of these for energy throughout the day. Swap over to mineral rich salt. Learn how to take any vegetable in the grocery store and turn it into something delicious. Cook at home where you can control the ingredients! The number one thing in common for people who lose weight? They cook at home most of the time.

Good luck!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice, rogot!!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I couldn't say it any better than rogotzke81. I would add that you need to find some sort of fitness activity you love doing. At 5'9", I started at my highest weight in March 2014 at 210 pounds and went on maintenance in October 2014 at 147 pounds. I believe maintenance has been easier because I have new fitness (rather than weight-loss) goals to focus on. I personally love building strength (through heavy lifting) and flexibility (through yoga). Even if you don't want to lift, you do need some strength training. Nerd Fitness has a great bodyweight program that anyone can do at home. Now onto pictures: yr8opscbwujo.png
    7ehtr07idwzv.png
  • gemekia
    Options
    Great Posts this is exactly what I am looking for , just starting out looking for tips and advice from women my size and age that have not had surgery.

Started JUly 2014 @ 297 5'7"
    now 270 just started walking everyday , eating better, and using MFP. looking to get to about 200 by this time next year.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    unnamed_zpsd7a48e6e.jpg

I started out at 194, and I weigh 146. No surgery. Slow weight loss, I started in July of 2013. Feel free to add me or message me!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Here's mine.
    I stared at 240 pounds (left pic). I'm now in the 175-180 range. I'm content where I'm at, but I'm looking to cut some body fat. The pic on the right was taken in October.

I never had weight loss surgery. At 16, I didn't really know about it, and I doubt my parents would have allowed it.

2301fc.jpg
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gjt8nbksdrgh.jpg
    I'm 5'8.5", 45 years old. Starting weight Jan 2012 was 245lbs, current weight 155, goal 135 (to be achieved in 2015). Starting body fat%, approx 33%-35%, currently 24.5%. Working toward 20% BF in 2015. Workout 5-6/week (3 weightlifting, 2-3 high endurance cardio).

80tx9owsmknz.jpg
  • tmw098
    tmw098 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and love this thread. Thanks to OP for starting it. I'm new here but have started and stopped and started and stopped too many times. I want this time to stick. I have 65-70 pounds to lose. Please feel free to add me, I haven't got any friends here yet. Everybody looks GREAT!!!
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7. I started at 210-215 pound, didn't weigh myself that much so don't know exactly. I started September 24th, 2013 and lost weight through counting calories daily and exercising 5-6 X per week. I found a love of running and did that A LOT. I have got down to 128 in the past year and my happy weight is 135 (What I am in the pictures). I am back up to 153 after moving away from home but am working back towards 135! :)
    here are some pictures
    N2DWwJ0.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!