Runners -

Options
how do you handle your "bottomless pit" days? I did just over 9 miles yesterday & could.not.stop.eating. I wasn't eating candy bars or junk, but I ate *a lot*... I know I'm not going to lose any weight that way, but I was totally ravenous. I consumed @ 2400 calories - I was under in fat grams, but over in carbs.
Any tips?

Replies

• bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I've been trying to distract myself by taking walks, cleaning, washing clothes, just about anything to distract myself from eating. I've heard drinking lots of water helps, but I've found distracting myself and staying away from the refrigerator helps.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Your body was probably hungry. Don't stress it!
  • skinnylizards
    Options
    What did you eat before you go? I've noticed how much better it is to fuel up before I go on a long run. I try and eat something like porridge, with chopped banana and honey, or greek yoghurt and granola - about an hour before I leave. Then when I get back I like to eat something like scrambled eggs and baked beans - loads of protein really filling, but not too heavy. Don't forget, you'll be pretty dehydrated and that can often feel like hunger, so make sure you drink plenty of water when you get back. Hope that helps? Keep on running!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    well once the munchies hit it is tough. I have learned that I am better off eating something substantial...with some protein and complex carbs/fiber when I am that ravenous. If I try to eat a little snack here and then a little snack there I do worse then if I eat an egg on a whole grain english muffin etc. I end up doing better with my calories that way than I do if I have a little apple...that should tide me over...then a handful of almonds...that should help...then some blueberries...then some of my kids chips then some cashews ...etc...

Also if you are well fueled before hand I find I don't get the munchies as bad after.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Did you go over your allowance? If not, don't worry about it. you're not going to gain.

In the future, make sure you're well hydrated and try to eat nutriant heavy foods. you get more bang for your buck. Whole grains and proteins will keep you full longer than processed flours, simple carbs, etc. but after 9 miles, I'm sure you had a lot to eat back too.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Usually after a long run I have something with protein in it. I like GNC whey protein in chocolate, I believe it's only 100-120 cals mixed with water. It doesn't fill me up for hours but it does slow down the process of raiding my fridge and eating everything that isn't nailed down.
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before you go? I've noticed how much better it is to fuel up before I go on a long run. I try and eat something like porridge, with chopped banana and honey, or greek yoghurt and granola - about an hour before I leave. Then when I get back I like to eat something like scrambled eggs and baked beans - loads of protein really filling, but not too heavy. Don't forget, you'll be pretty dehydrated and that can often feel like hunger, so make sure you drink plenty of water when you get back. Hope that helps? Keep on running!

I agree. Definitely eat something before a long run....even something small like a banana, yogurt or granola bar. Afterwards, very important to get in your protein.
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Eat something small before a long run, and then eat substantial carbs and protein after a long run, along with plenty of hydration. But I seem to have the opposite problem -- I find it tough not to end up too far below my daily calories on a long run day.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Usually after a long run I have something with protein in it. I like GNC whey protein in chocolate, I believe it's only 100-120 cals mixed with water. It doesn't fill me up for hours but it does slow down the process of raiding my fridge and eating everything that isn't nailed down.

I agree with what a lot of people have said. If I'm really hungry I eat some high protein. Greek yogurt, tilapia, peanut butter. It really curbs my dire hunger after long runs and gives me a lot of protein to help repair those muscles.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm struggling with this today... I ran the 26.2 in Cincinnati on Sunday, and yesterday wasn't so bad, but today... my tummy is RUMBLING!!! Just keep writing it down... everything you eat today... and to keep it in perspective, look at how many calories you burn running 9 miles!! You body is trying to make up what it lost! (I know I burned over 3200 calories Sunday... ridiculous, huh?)

Happy Running!!! :bigsmile:
    Angie
  • ChrisR0128
    ChrisR0128 Posts: 86
    Options
    I recently took up running, been doing 8 to 10 miles 2x a week. I am also getting thoose "I can eat anything days" too, good question.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    One thing that I noticed yesterday was that with the 1200 calorie limit its alot harder to run. I think as runners we are going to have those days. Ihad a day like that last week. A personal trainer told me that you have to break the dieting cycle every 3 or 4 days so that your body doesn't become immune and get into that idle mode. The important thing is if you are having one of those days eat a piece of pizza just not a whole pizza. Don't beat yourself up about it either, just start back counting calories the next day I like to take in 2 protein shakes a day. This helps with anumber of things including making you feel full. the glutomine also helps with quick muscle repair. I highly recommend it.. Also congrats on running 9 miles that is awesome. So far the longest run for me has been 8 miles.
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree with having a cheat day. Eat what you want that day. It hekps keep up your metabolism and motivation. I find it easier to get through some difficult days, when I know that I have a day coming up where I eat what I want.

Also, reading Paleo For Athletes, it talks a lot about timing of eating before during and after workouts. I try to follow that as well.
  • ajdx5
    ajdx5 Posts: 8
    Options
    awesome advice everyone! I eat a lot of greek yogurt topped with gluten free granola- - I have celiac (with no symptoms - go figure), so anything with wheat in it is a no-no.
    I can't eat before I go b/c I have 5 kids - - I roll out of bed @ 5am & have to hit the streets before I have to get the older 2 out the door & then it's a zoo with the younger 3...
    however, I am going to look into protein drinks - that may help. I'm all giddy b/c I recently found some Luna bars that are gf - now, if only Kashi would put out some gf stuff...
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Running with Celiac has to be tough. Here's an article you might find inspiring: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21463&PageNum=1
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options

Protein helps me. I used to use Endurox as post recovery replacement. Whey protein is way :laugh: better than chocolate milk which is just milk and sugar.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm not generally hungry as much as dehydrated, I never overeat after a long run - but I drink water lots of it. when I think I want a snack, I have water first, then see how I feel. My perfect question is "do I want an apple" if the answer is no - It tells me I'm hungry - a trick I learned from Fitness magazine a while ago.
  • mlb929
    Options
    Running with Celiac has to be tough. Here's an article you might find inspiring: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=21463&PageNum=1

I'm slightly entertained by this - what does having celiac disease have to do with running? I can't fathom why it would be tough - unless it's undiagnosed or untreated. There are SO many good carbs that are not "wheat" and so many options which having nothing to do with being gluten intollerant. Sorry - but I fail to see the connection. I read bits of the article, and it seems like it's from an untreated or undiagnosed standpoint.

Sorry to be on my soapbox, but the only reason celiac disease is "hard" is when people have a bad perspective of it. I've lived with two kids that have had it for over 10 years - it's a blessing to us - my kids are healthy, fit, thin and athletic. Yes, we have to follow up on thyroid test and maintaining a healthy balance but those are minor bumps, not tough at all.
  • ajdx5
    ajdx5 Posts: 8
    Options

I'm slightly entertained by this - what does having celiac disease have to do with running? I can't fathom why it would be tough - unless it's undiagnosed or untreated. There are SO many good carbs that are not "wheat" and so many options which having nothing to do with being gluten intollerant. Sorry - but I fail to see the connection. I read bits of the article, and it seems like it's from an untreated or undiagnosed standpoint.

Sorry to be on my soapbox, but the only reason celiac disease is "hard" is when people have a bad perspective of it. I've lived with two kids that have had it for over 10 years - it's a blessing to us - my kids are healthy, fit, thin and athletic. Yes, we have to follow up on thyroid test and maintaining a healthy balance but those are minor bumps, not tough at all.

My oldest & I have it & it's been a blessing in disguise - it has really forced me to watch what I put into my body...that said tho, I do miss wheaty bread, Kashi cereals & Quaker brown sugar instant oatmeal! :-p
  • mlb929
    Options

My oldest & I have it & it's been a blessing in disguise - it has really forced me to watch what I put into my body...that said tho, I do miss wheaty bread, Kashi cereals & Quaker brown sugar instant oatmeal! :-p

Have you tried Quinoa made with apples, raisins, cinnamon and brown sugar in it just like a hot cereal? My kids enjoy it cooked up and warm in the winter, we add a little almond milk to thin it.