Exercise Is Worse Than Caffeine!

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    it is not working out, it is something else …

you either have some kind of insomnia, too much on your mind, etc ….

This^! I workout at 5 a.m. I drink only two cups o Joe a day, nothing else but water. I just don't sleep. I have tried every form of OTC sleep aid and now have doctor prescribed sleeping pills and I still don't sleep when I take them. It is NOT because you're working out. It's called stress.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Getting healthier has made me sleep much more easily. On workout days, my eyes usually close before my head hits the pillow. I guess everyone works a little differently.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the ones stating that it has nothing to do with working out. There is a huge difference in not sleeping and being restless. There are many days where I workout out and am completely restless all evening, usually my legs. This is not for lack of not pushing myself either.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    ncscott11 wrote: »
    I disagree with the ones stating that it has nothing to do with working out. There is a huge difference in not sleeping and being restless. There are many days where I workout out and am completely restless all evening, usually my legs. This is not for lack of not pushing myself either.

Do you have restless leg syndrome?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have not been getting enough sleep lately. I can't seem to close my eyes before 12 sometimes even 1-2am....but it is only on the days I work out! It doesn't seem to matter WHEN I work out. Whether it is before lunch or after dinner or morning. If I work out that day I feel antsy and restless when I should be going to bed. It's exactly like the feeling I get if I drink a cup of coffee or drink a soda after 4. I have to get up at 6am and I need my sleep!

I work out 4-5 days a week. 2-3 days calisthenics, 2 days weights. Both types of workouts physically exhaust me and seem to induce the same restlessness.

What to do?
    Then increase your workout intensity. Most of my workouts I sleep, and sleep really hard. Glycogen depletion is a b.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    melatonin, that will put you right out..... or a box of wine
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    And I'll throw the BS flag. It's all in your head. Even if it's real, which it probably isn't, the easy fix is to take something to make you drowsy. Zzzquil sleep aid, a Benedryl or store brand equivalent (this has exactly the same ingredients as a sleeping pill BTW, they just label sleeping pills as sleep aids to charge more), or a glass of wine would all be good solutions.

I take melatonin at night to force myself to sleep and it's still a struggle. If I worked out in the morning I think it would be better but it's hard to fall asleep right after, even after a bath. I now drink sleepytime tea, take melatonin and no tv after showering. I catch up on my sleep on the weekends and usally don't get out of bed until 11am or 12pm. That's why I usually am way under my calories on weekends. Not enough time to get it all in. But I'd rather the sleep.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you only workout in the morning and make sure you are eating enough on the days you workout.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Actually, I know why I don't sleep well. I drink so much water during the day that I have to get up to use the bathroom at least 5 times. So just knowing I will have to get up probably prevents me from really crashing. I'm trying now to drink more earlier and less at night (hard since I workout very intensely) so I don't have to keep running to the bathroom.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    And I'll throw the BS flag. It's all in your head. Even if it's real, which it probably isn't, the easy fix is to take something to make you drowsy. Zzzquil sleep aid, a Benedryl or store brand equivalent (this has exactly the same ingredients as a sleeping pill BTW, they just label sleeping pills as sleep aids to charge more), or a glass of wine would all be good solutions.

I take melatonin at night to force myself to sleep and it's still a struggle. If I worked out in the morning I think it would be better but it's hard to fall asleep right after, even after a bath. I now drink sleepytime tea, take melatonin and no tv after showering. I catch up on my sleep on the weekends and usally don't get out of bed until 11am or 12pm. That's why I usually am way under my calories on weekends. Not enough time to get it all in. But I'd rather the sleep.

You may need melatonin a bit earlier, I think 3 hours before you are trying to fall asleep. But the sleeping in on weekends is probably going to keep making it hard for you to fall asleep earlier on weekdays, it's like giving yourself jet lag every week.
  • astrose00
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

You may need melatonin a bit earlier, I think 3 hours before you are trying to fall asleep. But the sleeping in on weekends is probably going to keep making it hard for you to fall asleep earlier on weekdays, it's like giving yourself jet lag every week.

Probably right. It's funny. When I take the melatonin, I start to feel drowsy within minutes but seem to fight it off until I just pass out, lol. I have fallen asleep with my hand on my mouse while surfing on MFP, lol. Also, I just got a new mattress, Sterns & Foster Ultra Firm. OMG, it's so great.

OP, maybe you need a new mattress???
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Then increase your workout intensity. Most of my workouts I sleep, and sleep really hard. Glycogen depletion is a b.

Not possible. My weight sessions are so hard that I sometimes I can't lift my arm high enough to lift my keys off the key rack and I have to brace myself against the wall and really FOCUS just to pull it off. Then my hands and legs are shaking and I feel a little faint....but then I get home, take a bath, eat something if I can manage to stomach ANYTHING at that point, drink some tea, take a hot bath....

...and then I can't effing sleep!

My rest days are Sunday always and then sometimes Monday or Wednesday so it isn't ALWAYS because of work. I missed several days working out around Thanksgiving and slept so much better.

It's so frustrating because I feel like lack of sleep is affecting my ability to push myself through some of the tougher workouts.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the following is what i do:

i avoid alcoholic, sugary, and caffeinated drinks 2-3 hours before bed. i don't watch tv 30-60 minutes before bed. in bed, i read 1-2 chapters of a book (fiction).

this usually works, and i'm in bed by about 9:30pm, and i wake up at 4:30-5 am most mornings.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When you say you can't sleep... is it because you can't relax (muscles are tight/tense), or because your mind is racing?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    add in a cardio session a few hours prior to the weight session.

Or, do what I do when I need it. Benadryl.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    When you say you can't sleep... is it because you can't relax (muscles are tight/tense), or because your mind is racing?

Neither, really. I just lie there and...not sleep. I haven't had insomnia since I had a kid. I can usually fall asleep within 5 minutes of going to bed...but now I can't. I lie there and wait and wait for my body do what it's supposed to do and it just...doesn't happen.