-8 pounds

Options
Is it healthy for a 18 year old, 133 pound female to try and lose 8 pounds in one month?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You are a normal healthy weight, but losing 8lb would still be within the healthy BMI band. Trying to lose it in 1 month is really too agressive and you would likely find it very hard to do as the less you have to lose then the harder it becomes. I would suggest you dont bother with something that severe. A more realistic target would be 0.5lb a week, which is 250 calories a day less. Do not eat below 1200.

Exercise is good including lifting some weights to give you more tone.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    What is you height?
  • Alisons_goal
    Options
    5'3
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Generally, 1 to 2 lbs per week is considered safe, so that should be okay.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since you're already at a healthy BMI, it's going to take a lot longer than a month to shed the pounds
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It's probably be alright, but it'll be tough to do. If you don't mind me asking, why do you have the time constraint? It's better to just work on establishing healthy exercise and nutrition habits that over time will get you to where you want to be. I see a lot of people set time goals for themselves and then get upset when they don't reach them, even if they've made some awesome progress.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Generally, 1 to 2 lbs per week is considered safe, so that should be okay.

Yes, but that number is also dependent on your current stats. At her height and weight, 1/2 pound is probably closer to right.
  • arachanski
    arachanski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends how you do it. It's absolutely ok to lose 8pounds/month on a balanced diet with much exercise. I did once 10 pounds.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would say it isn't terribly realistic. Can it be done? Maybe... but I wouldn't personally try it.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a healthy BMI but it became kind of my goal to get into the 140 area before entering maintenance. I have about 4 lbs left to lose, but it seems like it has taken me forever to lose these last few pounds. My body is definitely improving, but my weight is changing VERY slowly now. I'm training for a half marathon, so I'm running about 20 miles a week. I'm lifting 3 days a week and I'm at a deficit.
    My point is- focus more on the way your body looks, the way you feel, improvements in your fitness (if that is involved) and the way your clothes fit. You might not see those 8 lbs fall off in a month, or even two. But that doesn't seem you won't look and feel better!