What is the biggest hurdle you have come up against?

Options
13»

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Pregnancy. :oo:)

Snap.

I have three kids and have gained in all my pregnancies, no matter what I've done. I started my third pregnancy at my thinnest and fittest for years, exercised until 38 weeks, as well as looking after my then 2 and 4 year olds and working, and logging on MFP and eating healthily, and still I gained as much as I gained in my 2nd pregnancy when I rarely exercised and ate a few too many sweet treats.

I'm 7 months post partum now and still have a way to go to pre-preg weight, but I am feeling fit and strong and do so much more strength training now. I do have days when I feel so miserable about how I look when I had a great figure pre third pregnancy, but I hope to have it back by Summer.

With 3 young kids, tiredness is also a hurdle. My baby has had a cold for the last 10 days and I've been up every single night cleaning up puke! And I've had my 5 year old off school with impetigo. So pushing myself in a PT session on 3 hours broken sleep can be a real challenge sometimes.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey, midwesterner85. I am a type 2 in remission because of weight loss. I think the increased energy and mobility will lead to happiness. My advisers predicted I would be much happier, and they were right.

Words directed my way that I never considered include "perky" and having "flair".

I take it your low BG days were because of positive changes. So besides the temporary inconvenience, it is a move in the right direction. I experienced my first low BG numbers last winter as the weight started to drop and my medications were no longer appropriate. It took some determined negotiations with my health providers to adjust the dosages. Perhaps you have more control over that than I do.

Yes, weight loss is slow. It will likely also be permanent though.

I described to (my dietitian I think) that I had to come to terms that my meals would never look like other people's. I had to let go of that resentment and just do what I had to for my health. She thought it was very sad. Yeah, for a little while. But I got used to it.
  • glamgrljess22
    glamgrljess22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The dark alley I like to call my mind & fear.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Pregnancy. :oo:)

Snap.

I have three kids and have gained in all my pregnancies, no matter what I've done. I started my third pregnancy at my thinnest and fittest for years, exercised until 38 weeks, as well as looking after my then 2 and 4 year olds and working, and logging on MFP and eating healthily, and still I gained as much as I gained in my 2nd pregnancy when I rarely exercised and ate a few too many sweet treats.

I'm 7 months post partum now and still have a way to go to pre-preg weight, but I am feeling fit and strong and do so much more strength training now. I do have days when I feel so miserable about how I look when I had a great figure pre third pregnancy, but I hope to have it back by Summer.

With 3 young kids, tiredness is also a hurdle. My baby has had a cold for the last 10 days and I've been up every single night cleaning up puke! And I've had my 5 year old off school with impetigo. So pushing myself in a PT session on 3 hours broken sleep can be a real challenge sometimes.

I'll be 35 weeks pregnant on Sunday. It's been a challenge figuring out how many calories I should be eating, how much exercise I can do (especially this late in the game when everything hurts), and not pushing myself too hard. Plus it's hard emotionally not being able to do all of the things I was doing pre-pregnancy. It's also hard going from a mindset of losing weight (I lost 58 lbs before pregnancy) to maintaining (first trimester) to gaining (2nd + 3rd trimester). It's a HUGE hurdle.

But for perspective, with my first daughter, in my carefree gluttonous days, I gained 45 lbs. This time, at (nearly) 35 weeks, I've gained about 18 1/2 lbs. The difference is astounding.

The lesson for me is: Stay active, keep logging (even if I go over the deep end with calories) and just be aware of how much I'm eating. Seems to be working great :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Well, at 7 months post partum I still have 37lbs to lose! I didn't even dare step on the scales until 4 months pp. I've no idea how I gained so much because I ate far less than the pregnancy calculators gave me, I was at the gym 4 times a week, running round after my kids, and working part time as a teacher on my feet all day. I actually gained more with my third than I did in the pregnancy where I didn't count calories or exercise. My body just goes mental in pregnancy!
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Stories: "The nothing works story" and the "I can't stand this" story. Doing 5:2 helped with the second - I learned that I could stand the sensation of hunger, particularly if it was only for a day. I think (but I am not sure) that I experience another sensation which feels like hunger, that is not hunger - but I 'd learned to use it as a cue to eat. I suspect it is either an anxiety sensation or a ME/CFS/IBS related sensation. So learning to tolerate and accept that sensation without resorting to eating was a big challenge.

As for the first - nothing worked because of calorie creep. Start off in deficit and gradually hit maintenance, then blaming that on a downregulated metabolism. So the only solution (that's working so far) is full on monitoring - and MFP makes this easier than it has ever been.

And despite some clear evidence that both are just stories, and starting to make further progress - they raise their ugly heads from time to time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, midwesterner85. I am a type 2 in remission because of weight loss. I think the increased energy and mobility will lead to happiness. My advisers predicted I would be much happier, and they were right.

Words directed my way that I never considered include "perky" and having "flair".

I take it your low BG days were because of positive changes. So besides the temporary inconvenience, it is a move in the right direction. I experienced my first low BG numbers last winter as the weight started to drop and my medications were no longer appropriate. It took some determined negotiations with my health providers to adjust the dosages. Perhaps you have more control over that than I do.

Yes, weight loss is slow. It will likely also be permanent though.

I described to (my dietitian I think) that I had to come to terms that my meals would never look like other people's. I had to let go of that resentment and just do what I had to for my health. She thought it was very sad. Yeah, for a little while. But I got used to it.

Yes, the lows I'm talking about are related to my insulin needs changing as a result of type 2 issues decreasing in significance. I have type 1 and will always have type 1. I will always have the risk of lows in thick or thin, and there are lots of factors to consider including timing of insulin and meals, exercise, type of food (absorption time), stress, etc. Type 1 essentially means that I have to use artificial insulin and calculate amount and timing in the way that my pancreas is supposed to (but doesn't because of an unfortunate string of genetic and environmental events). When I miscalculate or under-estimate exercise or over-estimate insulin resistance (type 2), then I go low (within a few hours). If I take no insulin, I die (it would take a few days, but would be painful and damaging in the meantime even if I take insulin eventually and survive). So the goal is to find the right amount of insulin - enough to not have high blood sugars that cause long-term complications, but not so much that I end up low with short-term dangers.

Truly, the type 1 is my primary concern and the type 2 adds complexity because my sensitivity (and thus calculations of insulin dose) changes as I lose weight, and I have to figure that out as I go along. If I lose too quickly, I can't keep up with the changes and I will end up with low blood sugar (and gaining weight back from the additional calories). I also have Hashimoto's (auto-immune thyroid disease that comes from the same genes that cause type 1).

So what I'm saying is: medical issues are my hurdles, and type 1 diabetes is the biggest of all. Unlike real hurdles (on a track), I can't just jump over this and continue on. It isn't a hurdle that can be 'conquered,' but I can become stronger and less likely to trip over it next time (I will still trip every once in awhile, no matter how strong I get).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety issues and stress eating is my biggest hurdle. For me it's more of a small and semi-frequent thing rather than a huge hurdle that throws me for a big loop.

I seem to have the urge to stress eat more with little things like waiting for my annual review at work or being anxious about an event or appointment, than big things like my divorce, natural disaster I went through, or death of people near me. It's kind of weird.

Mostly it's something I fight when I'm feeling super anxious and have a bit of time in between a couple of engagements and I'm near places that appeal to me, like say Dunkin Donuts. It's hard not to "cheer myself up" or "calm myself down" with a treat in those situations but I manage it, or tell myself that I won't do that at 4 pm on Wednesday when I'm a nervous wreck and will be eating dinner in a little while...but instead I'll fit it into my meals/calories in a few days. Then it's always more satisfying for me, than feeling like I "caved" and ate whatever because I was stressed and anxious.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    When my life turns into the perfect storm - extremely busy, stressed, overwhelmed, plus the kitchen is a mess and I haven't been to the store yet AND I don't have money - I tend to just eat my stress away- something sweet usually. That's a hurdle for sure.