ketogenic diet

Options
Anybody here doing it? Did you feel like garbage up til you were keto adapted?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried but can't keep under the 30-50g carbs. I just can't give up fruit
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    There are many and there is a group here. I'm not a member of it but you should be able to search the groups and find it easily or wait till a member of it to post the link.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yes, I felt pretty crappy for about the first 3 weeks. After those first weeks passed, I've had the best energy I've had for the past 10 years!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Do you guys eat fruit and veg?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie veggies like greens
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    brundell88 wrote: »

Man the first month I did fell like garbage. Coconut oil is my main go to Fat and I did not taper into it. I got to the office one morning an Googled "Death from coconut oil" and learned about the Herxheimer Reaction.

After I got adapted I never plan to go back to eat a lot of carbs again.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no. But I cut back on carbs very gradually as I was in no hurry to get into ketosis. I was at about 100 for quite a while then cut down from there. Neverr had any of the keto flu symptoms.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Sabine provided the low carber group. I believe it is the most active. Good luck OP.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Do you guys eat fruit and veg?

some blueberries and strawberries is my fruit. I eat alot of spinach, broccoli, cauiflower.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Have you guys heard of the egg fast-stall breaker diet? You eat 6 eggs per day plus 6tbs of grass fed butter. Sounds full on but people are dropping weight doing it....
  • chris_bair
    chris_bair Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm doing Keto, down 22 lbs in about a month and a half. I felt crappy the first few days ("keto flu"), apparently I could have mitigated that with more electrolytes. In case anybody is interested, here's the section of my blog about my experience so far: https://www.thebairs.net/series/ketogenic-soylent/
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Have you guys heard of the egg fast-stall breaker diet? You eat 6 eggs per day plus 6tbs of grass fed butter. Sounds full on but people are dropping weight doing it....

I suppose if you added a bunch of spinach that could be a meal but I wouldnt do just eggs and butter exclusively.
  • theecatt
    theecatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I have been doing it since November 1st. Down 20 pounds in that time. In the past, I have had that garbage feeling. I've found that it goes away much more quickly with lots of cardio (I do 45 to 60 minutes a day which helped to remove glycogen stores from the muscles, and bring on ketosis much more quickly). I was in ketosis within a week.

I've been keeping the carbs low, no fruits, only veggies - spinach, broccoli, etc (no carrots/corn). I occasionally eat 20-40g of simple right before cardio which helps get me going.
  • brundell88
    brundell88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. I was just trying to get an idea how long it usually takes to get keto adapted. I'm hoping it's soon. I'm excited get to the point where I'm feeling more energetic and a little more clear minded.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've done it since February. I've lost majority of the weight I wanted. I had fantastic cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL/LDL and A1C lab results last month. Going on a ketogenic diet was the best thing for me. I lost weight on it easily and without feeling deprived.
  • mytwocentimes
    mytwocentimes Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    REDDIT has a sub-section that is worth a visit and stalking around for information.www.REDDIT.com/r/keto
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    REDDIT has a sub-section that is worth a visit and stalking around for information.www.REDDIT.com/r/keto

I second that. r/keto is what got me started 6mo ago. Their FAQ is excellent.
  • melissagb1016
    Options

I just started it this past week and I'm finding exercising much more difficult than it was when I had carbs in my diet. I get breathless more easily and I find my legs getting worn out when cycling. However, I have lost 4 pounds (though most likely water weight) in the last couple days, so I'm going to keep it up.
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I just started it this past week and I'm finding exercising much more difficult than it was when I had carbs in my diet. I get breathless more easily and I find my legs getting worn out when cycling. However, I have lost 4 pounds (though most likely water weight) in the last couple days, so I'm going to keep it up.

if you have just started keto, i think you're suppose to hold back on the exercise for at least a few weeks. your body is going through keto-adaptation and it is unwise to stress it. just drink loads of water and add extra salt & potassium to your diet.