Increased exertion = increased heart rate = nausea?

Options
I wear a HRM when I run, and I've noticed that 169 bpm seems to be the point where I need to slow down, take a walk break, and/or try not to vomit. If I slow down enough to drop my heart rate even 5 bpm, I feel fine again and can continue without issue. My resting heart rate has always been on the low side of normal--lately in the mid-40s to low 50s--and I have no cardiac history.

I have improved my run pace a fair amount over this past year, but I feel like I'm hitting a training wall because I just can't seem to push myself any harder/faster without feeling sick.

Will this eventually go away as I continue to improve my cardiovascular fitness?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    exercising near you max HR if you are unfit can induce nausea, does not sound like you are unfit to me, also have you spoken to a Dr about your heart rate? Normally a low resting HR is a sign of fitness but below 50 can be problematic, if havent spoken to a doctor about either of these things i recommend that you do.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal. My nausea point seems to be 172 and I have no heart problems (confirmed by the doctor).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    >> disclaimer: complete lack of any meaningful medical or scientific knowledge <<

Based on my experience, I would also say it's normal. Where you hit that point will vary from person to person, and your physical response may vary... but everyone has a HR/exertion level they can't sustain. For me, I get light headed and start to "see stars" and I know I need to back off a little. But even if I didn't have those symptoms, it's a level of intensity I couldn't sustain for more than a minute or so.

Also, IME, that threshold doesn't really change, but I've been able to work "better" in my sustainable HR zones. A certain effort used to get me a 10minute mile now gets me a 9min mile. Yes, that's reasonably subjective, but it lines up well with much of what I've read regarding progress and conditioning.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If it's a common occurrence, I would definitely have a DOCTOR check it out. I know I pushed myself extremely hard a few weeks ago in the gym, just lifting a lot heavier than I'm use to, and I ended up in a stall throwing up. I'm still not exactly sure how I got there either... kinda like a blackout episode.

But have it checked, imo.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor to be safe!

I personally find myself in the 180's a lot and never feel sick. Age, fitness level, etc. can all effect this. Is this a new thing? If so, take note if anything in your life has changed - stress levels, medications, food intake before exercise, etc. Those are things your doctor may ask you about and/or you should bring to his attention.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Also, IME, that threshold doesn't really change, but I've been able to work "better" in my sustainable HR zones. A certain effort used to get me a 10minute mile now gets me a 9min mile. Yes, that's reasonably subjective, but it lines up well with much of what I've read regarding progress and conditioning.

Thanks for all the replies! I should have clarified that I have zero concerns about this from a medical standpoint. It's mostly a question that stems from having no athletic background whatsoever. Remember running the mile in gym class? I skipped that every single year.

Anyhow, this makes sense now. When I started C25K back in January, 30 seconds of running at 5.5 mph left me feeling crappy. Now it takes a much faster speed to create the same physiological response. I guess it stands to reason that continued training will keep increasing the amount of work I can do at my heart rate threshold.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie do you have a way to check your glucose level when this occurs?
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can exert my self enough to feel sick when cycling (really going for it!), but I've never physical been sick (decided a couple of times just to keep going and see what happens!).

There was a program about Chris Hoy a while back and he used to train to the point of puking every day pushing to the limit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have needed to throw up during particularly grueling workouts. I'm not sure heart rate is the end all be all factor though.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It has to do with the glycolysis. I don't know all the ins and outs, but if you're really interested I'd say do a search on the 'net. Basically your body burns energy differently depending on how much exertion you are putting it through. Understanding the basics is supposed to allow you to have maximum fat burn.
  • LPlovescake
    LPlovescake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a spin class where the instructor encouraged us to push ourselves to the point of feeling sick (she did ask at the beginning of each class if anyone had any medical conditions). It helped me to realise that I could be working a lot harder and although I was out of my 'comfort zone' I was never anywhere near being physically sick.

Since then I've used the same strategy when trying to increase my running pace/distance. I've also found that I have to get my heart rate higher now before that naseous feeling starts

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie do you have a way to check your glucose level when this occurs?

Sure do. Hubby is type 1 diabetic.

I've never actually vomited when running, although I did have to jump over the rope at the finish line chute during a race once because I was literally choking it down. It was awful.

It's reassuring to know this has happened to others and that it can improve over time.

No concerns about bradycardia here. Even when I was an unfit smoker, my resting heart rate was 60 bpm.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »
    I wear a HRM when I run, and I've noticed that 169 bpm seems to be the point where I need to slow down, take a walk break, and/or try not to vomit. If I slow down enough to drop my heart rate even 5 bpm, I feel fine again and can continue without issue. My resting heart rate has always been on the low side of normal--lately in the mid-40s to low 50s--and I have no cardiac history.

I have improved my run pace a fair amount over this past year, but I feel like I'm hitting a training wall because I just can't seem to push myself any harder/faster without feeling sick.

Will this eventually go away as I continue to improve my cardiovascular fitness?

You're fine. You just get up in the "red zone" around 169 which is no surprise.

As you raise your FTP (functional threshold power), you should be able to improve the feeling and work up into your top training zones of V02 Max and Anaerobic Capacity - both for shorter durations - without nausea.

Training zones here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/power-training-levels

I'm about 48 resting HR, and do a lot of training in the 145 - 165 HR area. The occasional training in the 166 - 179+ area is deep in the pain cave and where the eyes go cross-eyed. Depending on conditions and my nutritional timing, the occasional nausea can occur if I push it too hard, too long.

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Like others said check with your doctor but I also think it's fairly common. Years ago when I did basic training I puked during every morning run we had. Every time. I don't know if it was heart rate or that increased breathing in cold air triggered my gag reflex.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have hit 189 as my max and feel fine .. it is hard at that level and it is only for a short time of course. I have never had issues going over 180. My max by the formula is 173. I think as you get fitter .. you will improve in this area. But yes .. see a doctor if you think it is an issue .. or just slow down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I have needed to throw up during particularly grueling workouts. I'm not sure heart rate is the end all be all factor though.

Ditto
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Also how much you consume will affect if you get nauseated before an intense workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also how much you consume will affect if you get nauseated before an intense workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah, no chow an hour prior.

Any closer than that to a legit workout, and you risk impersonating a sprinkler head.