1200 Calorie Target and Going Over

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    leanne0627 wrote: »
    What are you trying to change? Is this not enough calories for you or you want to make it less? If you eat 1861 you should lose around 1.5 pounds a week. If you don't eat back your exercise calories you could lose more. Or you can eat them back and keep it at the 1.5. If you want to change it though you can

OK, good thread. If I eat 1861 per day and my basal is 2001, then I am burning up about 200 net cals in a day. A pound is 3600 cals. 200cals x 30 days is 6000 cals or about a little under 2 lbs in a month. Please help me if my accounting is wrong.

BMR is the amount of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma, for your basic bodily functions like heart, brain, breathing, etc. General rule is don't eat less than that unless directed by a doctor.

Also note that MFP is not a BMR calculator.
    That bolded thing is really just forum myth.

MFP does have a BMR calculator.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    But yeah, in the guided goal set-up area, I don't think it shows it to you. It multiplies it by an activity multiplier.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    With your stats, with no exercise at all and staying in bed all day, you'd maintain your weight at 1558 calories. So you will definitely lose weight at eating 1200 or 1300 calories. However, since you are moving around throughout the day and exercising, you get a lot more than that to work with. If you are looking for a range, I'd aim for 1600-2000 calories a day. You will have to readjust that you as you lose weight.
  • fattydaddy343
    Options
    Miflin-St.Joer equation-

BMR calculated by the following formula.

BMR = 10 * weight(kg) + 6.25 * height(cm) - 5 * age(y) + 5 (man)
    BMR = 10 * weight(kg) + 6.25 * height(cm) - 5 * age(y) - 161 (woman)

The calories needed to maintain your weight equal to the BMR value, multiplied by an activity factor. To loss 1 pound, or 0.5kg per week, you will need to shave 500 calories from your daily menu.

Ok. There it is. I'm going to work this out and post.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been following the 1200 calorie plan since January 8th. Have lost almost 80 pounds. It can be done but it takes work. After a while you get used to it and it gets a lot easier.

Similar experience and I agree...it gets easier as time goes on.

73641431.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lucy020679 wrote: »
    MFP has set my target at 1200 calories. If I'm under I get a warning about not eating enough and if I go over I'm in the red. How far over the 1200 target is acceptable to go? Why can't MFP give a small buffer range like 1200-1300 calories limit. People have said they've set theirs higher, but how do you pick the correct limit for yourself where you would still lose weight?

I got 1200 when I first started and changed it to 1250 because I wanted a buffer zone.

I subsequently figured out that I'd get more calories if I let my Fitbit adjust it and ate back exercise calories (if I hadn't let Fitbit adjust it I'd have changed to lightly active, since MFP's sedentary is pretty sedentary).
  • fattydaddy343
    Options
    This was very helpful, where the above equation came from. It also related BMR to activity level, and you are able to calculate both. My BMR is ~1900 without an activity multiplier. General rule of thumb is if you aren't ill, shaving 500 off the diet per day will=a pound of loss (7 days x 500cals).

Relating that to MFP--? why do you subtract food calories but add exercise cals? (Newbie question)

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Thanks for everyone's help.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful, where the above equation came from. It also related BMR to activity level, and you are able to calculate both. My BMR is ~1900 without an activity multiplier. General rule of thumb is if you aren't ill, shaving 500 off the diet per day will=a pound of loss (7 days x 500cals).

Relating that to MFP--? why do you subtract food calories but add exercise cals? (Newbie question)

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Thanks for everyone's help.

MFP is designed so that even people who cannot exercise can lose weight. When you do exercise, you need more fuel. A properly set TDEE - % goal should be about the same as a properly set MFP + exercise calories goal. The difference is with TDEE your activity is averaged throughout the week and you eat the same amount every day. With MFP you only eat extra on the days you exercise. It's just personal preference which way you do it. Many people like to "earn" their calories. Other people like the convenience of having the same goal every day.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A TDEE calculator includes exercise, so you figure your maintenance with the exercise you do and then subtract your percentage or perhaps 500 for 1 lb.

MFP figures your maintenance without exercise (so will start with a lower number than your TDEE) and then subtracts the amount you say (500 for 1 lb, for example). To keep the goal the same, you add the exercise yourself when you do it. It should come to about the same over a week as TDEE-500 if you estimated the exercise right for TDEE and have a 1 lb goal for both.

So that's why it adds the exercise calories.

(I am currently doing TDEE method, because I have pretty consistent weekly exercise and like to eat the same calories every day.)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Good lord how have we made it two pages without someone providing this link?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1"]http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

OP - read this. There is good advice in there for how to determine the appropriate calorie goal and how to be successful on MFP by using a reasonable approach to this process.

As others have said, 1200 cals may be too restrictive for you. I know you said you are quite petite, but I am not sure what goal weight you are striving for? At any rate, 2 lbs/week may be fairly aggressive and you may want to back that off to 1.5lbs or 1 lb/week.

Good luck.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Example:

TDEE = 2500
    Less 20% = 500
    Calorie goal = 2000

MFP calories = 1800
    -200 (it subtracts your calorie burn)
    +200 (amount you eat for exercise)
    =1800 Net
    But 2000 Total
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who barely feels a difference on a 1200 calorie diet? I mean, sometimes I get a bit more hungry, and then I eat a bit more, but most of the time I feel like I am eating normal portions for my daily needs.

I am starting to get worried that either something is wrong with me, or I am grossly underestimating my calorie intake. -.^
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1200 felt way too restrictive for me and I just couldn't do it. I started with 1400, and I started logging while I was on a school break during Thanksgiving, but when I went back to school I had to move it up to 1450. I'm a teacher, on my feet all day, standing or walking around, and I'm sure I burn more and I'm hungrier. So now I have 1450 during the week and bring it down to 1300 on the weekends, in I'll do the same for the winter break. I change the actual goals.
    In the past 2 weeks and few days I lost 6 lbs so it's working.
    to the OP, if you feel that 1200 is too low, there's no need to stress or feel that you're failing. Bump it up with 1-200 calories.

I have to do some exercise on most days to stay under my goal (usually about 200-250 calories worth)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm late getting back in here..OP two pounds per week is considered pretty aggressive…I would change to one pound per week, but that is just me...
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My dietician gave me two options. A 1500 cal option or a 1200 cal option. So I figure that makes my range. MFP is set for 1200 and I usually do enough walking and cleaning to increase that to 1300 or 1350. But I feel as long as I'm under 1500 I'm doing okay, it will just be slower.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Am I the only one who barely feels a difference on a 1200 calorie diet? I mean, sometimes I get a bit more hungry, and then I eat a bit more, but most of the time I feel like I am eating normal portions for my daily needs.

I am starting to get worried that either something is wrong with me, or I am grossly underestimating my calorie intake. -.^
    I find 1200 do-able. It gets a little old after months and months of it, since there's not much room for empty calories like alcohol, desserts, bread, etc. but I'd say it's more boredom than physical discomfort. I've done plenty of 500 calorie days on IF, I know 1200 is plenty.

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with you :smile:

Everyone's needs are different. If you function well, aren't constantly hungry, and it's not that big of a deficit for you (i.e. you're a smaller woman), you shouldn't worry.

I eat more now but there was a point at which I was eating around 1200 a day and had no issues and was never hungry. But it was because I made strategic choices for food to ensure I could eat a high amount of food at low calories and plenty of protein and fiber. 1200 a day isn't painful if the right choices are made but it is hard when the one wrong choice is difficult to recover from and little room for error. I had my 1200 calorie routine so perfect I ended each night with a chocolate chip cookie and wine. But I did hate the strict planning. Very hard to stick to.

Anyway, I got sidetracked lol. It is very normal to be fine on that amount of calories with the right food and nutrients.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

I feel that way too, and although I religiously log as I eat, I get paranoid that I've missed something!

I think the poster who said she sets hers to maintenance has the right idea and I plan to do that when my houseguests come because I hate the red.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I find 1200 do-able. It gets a little old after months and months of it, since there's not much room for empty calories like alcohol, desserts, bread, etc. but I'd say it's more boredom than physical discomfort. I've done plenty of 500 calorie days on IF, I know 1200 is plenty.

why is bread an empty calorie?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Have you ever done 1200? Or 500? Bread isn't that filling or nutritious, comparatively.

But empty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know a lot of people who strive to get more bread or refined carbs in their diet but all kinds of eating works under different scenarios and who know who's goals are what.

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Have you ever done 1200? Or 500? Bread isn't that filling or nutritious, comparatively.

But empty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know a lot of people who strive to get more bread or refined carbs in their diet but all kinds of eating works under different scenarios and who know who's goals are what.

no, but I am not a fan of VLCD diets …

carbs are used for energy and are not empty or evil….