Mexican food

Options
aub7
aub7 Posts: 37 Member
So what do you get when you go out for Mexican food? Trying to get some healthy options to replace my usual. Thanks!

Replies

• lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i think the fajita option is probably the heathiest, if you only eat the sauted meat and vegetables (leave out the sour cream, guac, cheese and wraps).
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I get a chicken soft taco with extra salsa/veggies and no cheese ... aka fajitas. Example: Taco Bell Fresca Style Chicken Tacos - 2 are 300 calories. A good mexican restaurant should have an equivalent version.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Crunchy tacos! Depending on where you go, they usually have between 150-180 calories apiece. I can eat three of them with some unsweetened ice tea and feel pretty full and satisfied.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    i LOVEEEEE mexican. I usually get chimichangas. Im sorry but I can not make a halthy decision while getting mexican. Its just too good lol..thats why i dont go there as often
  • JLink823
    JLink823 Posts: 13
    Options
    Chicken or shrimp fajitas ... no tortillas
  • deannar417
    deannar417 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I like to get taco salad without sour cream. Dont eat much of the shell. If any at all. Usually enough to fill me up. Good luck
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat the chips! Ask them to take them off the table! And drink water with your meal! ONLY water! Veggie or chicken fajitas are awesome! I dab the extra oil off and I dont eat the tortillas either!
  • Mistykelly
    Mistykelly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found the least calories is to have a cheese enchilada, then I eat 1/2 the rice and Beans. I guess it all depends on the person! Good Luck!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    i LOVEEEEE mexican. I usually get chimichangas. Im sorry but I can not make a halthy decision while getting mexican. Its just too good lol..thats why i dont go there as often

I'm the same way.....I cave every time.....good thing we don't really have any GREAT Mexican restaurants in my area.....they are just average....Now, if I still lived in alabama....I would be in trouble....I practically lived at my favorite Mexican restaurant over there....
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had Mexican the other day, and had tortilla soup. And a reasonable serving of chips and salsa. The bowl of soup was huge: I only ate half and I was full. (I had the cheese on the soup, but could have skipped that to save more calories.)
  • jeanawhite
    jeanawhite Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had trouble finding healthy things in Mexican restaurants. At one restaurant I found an item that was sooo good...and I would imagine pretty healthy. It was a whole pineapple cut in half..then chicken, shrimp, and steak was grilled with vegetables and stuffed inside this pineapple with the fresh pineapple juice. It normally comes with cheese, so I just skipped the cheese. Also, if you wanted it to be even healthier you could order just chicken or shrimp and skip the beef. I don't know if any of your local Mexican restaurants offer this..but if you can find it, it is awesome!!!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When eating Mexican I usually don't go for the healthy option. I always get a chicken quesadilla and cheese dip. The only difference now is that I only get 1 quesadilla instead of the 2 that I used to.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you're at an authentic mexican resteraunt, get the sopa de pollo! (chicken soup) full of veggies, chicken and broth. I would question the sodium content, but its mid-blowingly good, and you wont feel heavy after eating. (and usually they give you enough for leftovers!
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I usually sub the beans and rice they give with almost every dish with a salad.
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options

me too...if I 'm going to go to Mexican, then it's just going to be a "cheat day".....chips, salsa, chimichangas, YUM. that's why we hardly ever go anymore, just every once in awhile! =)
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry..If I'm going Mexican..I am most definantly NOT getting soup. lol..i have no self control.
  • livingnow28
    livingnow28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fajitas asked them to not put any rice or refried beans on your plate instead ask for extra veggies and possibly a bean soup.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Plan you day around the meal, eat different for Breakfast and Lunch and Enjoy your dinner
    Workout to count for the extra cals you may eat.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Plan you day around the meal, eat different for Breakfast and Lunch and Enjoy your dinner
    Workout to count for the extra cals you may eat.

AMEN! ;)
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I get the kids meals without cheese. I skip the fried desserts and soft drinks.