Just struggling...

Options
After limiting myself to "clean" foods all day (i.e. vegetables and fruit..), I caved at dinner and had goat cheese and proceeded to binge on ice cream, peanut butter, greek yogurt and FOUR quest bars! Not healthy in the slightest.. I am so numb and so upset. Completing today at upwards of 2,500 calories.. I am so angry with myself and just in shock. I can't even believe myself... I should have just gone to bed.

Replies

• Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Its ok, its just one day. Just dont let it turn into more (like I have since thanksgiving... =.=)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

After limiting myself to "clean" foods all day (i.e. vegetables and fruit..), I caved at dinner and had goat cheese and proceeded to binge on ice cream, peanut butter, greek yogurt and FOUR quest bars! Not healthy in the slightest.. I am so numb and so upset. Completing today at upwards of 2,500 calories.. I am so angry with myself and just in shock. I can't even believe myself... I should have just gone to bed.

What are your stats?

Are you trying to gain or lose?

Are you trying to go raw?

Were you eating anything other than fruit and vegetables today?

So much restriction, what is the reason?

If I ate only a couple pieces of fruit and some veggies I would be tempted to binge as well.

• lizzie6580
    lizzie6580 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think all the restriction all day made you really hungry and that's why you binged. First, let me say "the" nutrition, losing weight, exercise thing is all about trial and error. You won't know what works and doesn't unless you try it all. So, you have found that eating "clean" with veggies and fruits all day doesn't work. Now, it's time to find something that does work for you. I am the same way as you. If I restrict all day, I binge at night. So, I have been working with a nutritionist to spread my meals out in ways that work well for me. Here's what works for me, I am not saying it will work for you, but it is definitely a different way to think about food/meals:

Breakfast: I usually eat 1 piece multi-grain and fortified toast and 2 tbs peanut butter for breakfast (~300 calories) and that lasts me till lunch at 1230. You have to have something high protein to make you last till lunch.

Lunch: This is my big meal for the day. If each "meal" / time I eat is 300-400 calories, this is the one where I go for 500-700. I pack it full of protein, veggies, healthy fats, etc. If I eat a full lunch, I very rarely binge later in the day. This meal is the key meal for me. My day hinges on a full and healthily planned out lunch.

Snack: I usually eat a 200-300 calorie snack around 3-4pm. This snack ranges from hummus and chips to granola bars to a 6 inch veggie sub from subway. It is important because it tides me over to dinner time.

Dinner: My calorie intake here is less than lunch. I usually am not that hungry and REALLY focus on greens and vegetables. I eat alot of salads in the summer and alot of steamed veggies in the fall/winter. One of my tips is to wrap a bunch of veggies (fresh or steamed) in a tortilla and add some salsa. It makes a yummy wrap, is low in calorie, and high in nutrients.

I used to be a restrictor. And, I thought that paying attention meant you were on a diet. But, that's not true. Truly, we just need to know where we are, where we want to go, and suggestions for how to get there. I had to re-train my brain from seeing food in terms of calories and fat, to seeing that for vegetarians/vegans, proteins, iron, and the B vitamins were the most critical for me to monitor.

If you want to add me as a friend/contact on this site, I would be happy to share insight I go from my nutritionist. She completely changed my view on food.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Joshua, You look lean in your profile picture and you're young.
    2500 is getting near what a 20 year old guy would eat (depending on activity level many need way more).

Binging can be because of undereating and your body doing the right thing and demanding more calories.

What are you trying to achieve? Please don't break my heart and say weight loss.

If its about being healthier, there are ways to move towards a healthier food intake without making yourself unhappy.