Building good eating habits

Options
Hi all. New to this site. Where do I start with building good eating habits? I'm looking for a good foundation. If anyone would give me any tips, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and stats? Nutrition needs will vary depending on many factors.

Generally… I would suggest making sure you get plenty of fruits and veggies. Then round out your diet with moderate amounts of meats, dairy, and whole grains. If you're trying to lose weight… make sure all of this is with a modest calorie deficit. And of course any of these may need to be adjusted depending on if you have any medical issues that need to be considered.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's best to kinda ease into it at first. You know, making simple changes like picking something you know you eat that is bad for you and swapping it out for something better. For example, when I first started, I immediately cut out juice and started drinking unsweetened tea with lemon instead. Then I worked up to cutting out soda and replacing it with carbonated water, then fast food with only buying things from the grocery (it could be whatever I wanted, it just couldn't be fast food), and etc. Try replacing something every week or so until you've noticed significant changes in how you eat.

Note, it's also okay to eat 'unhealthy' things. I still eat things that are considered bad, but in very closely watched moderation because it's very easy to over eat on those things. In the end, this is all up to you and what you consider better eating habits.

Another VERY important habit you need to pick up as fast as possible is weighing your food. This is absolutely vital otherwise it's very easy to over eat.

Good luck to you! I hope you figure out what works best for you.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Get a scale, weigh everything you eat, and log it.
    My advice is to eat what you have been eating, but less of it to meet your calories goal.
  • theskyrimjedi
    theskyrimjedi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I plan to walk and workout 3 times a week.I'm sitting at 200 right now. Looking to lose 20 pounds. It gave me a January date as far as losing that much, but do you even think that is accurate?

Also, You have all gave me great ideas. I been working on reducing soda. Its been hard, but I'm doing ok. I have stopped eating so much bread. A scale would probably help too. I'll give it a try. I think one problem is snacks. Like finding replacements for chips, cookies and such.
  • theskyrimjedi
    Options
    i will be sure to check the links libby. thanks a ton!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Cucumber slices are yummy with hummus. Chips and cookies are hard to replace.

I buy one of those one or two serving bags they have in the deli section of my grocer.

You can also buy just one cookie from the bakery.

Remember, you don't have to do it all in one day. Keep educating yourself about nutrition and learn as you go.

20 pounds lost by Jan may be a bit of a stretch. Keep track of your measurements as well. When the scale seems to be moving slowly measure. Measure weekly.

I would eat back half the calories lost from working out.
  • pinkshoelaces
    Options
    I plan to walk and workout 3 times a week.I'm sitting at 200 right now. Looking to lose 20 pounds. It gave me a January date as far as losing that much, but do you even think that is accurate?

Also, You have all gave me great ideas. I been working on reducing soda. Its been hard, but I'm doing ok. I have stopped eating so much bread. A scale would probably help too. I'll give it a try. I think one problem is snacks. Like finding replacements for chips, cookies and such.

You don't necessarily have to replace those things if you can't find a satisfying alternative. You can still have those things, but I'd recommend weighing out a serving of it (the back of prepackaged foods should all have a serving size, and it will tell you how many grams a serving is. Weigh out the food until it equals how many grams it says.) This is the best to go by. Don't just believe when it says '11 chips equals 150 calories' because every chip weighs differently and this could be off').

If you find that you actually do want to cut out those things completely though, there's always starting with healthier alternatives of those foods, like baked chips or oatmeal cookies, then work up to replacing them with foods like almonds or a thin bagel with a very light serving of cream cheese. These are all just examples, and again, it's okay to have those things if you want to. It's just all about practicing self control.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The special K cracker chips are a good replacement for regular chips.. You get 30 chips vs 12 so you can feel like you ate more for less calories. They have Sea salt ones and BBQ and a few others, usually on the snack aisle. I have found that a cheese stick with a piece of fruit do really well for me - try to go with something like watermelon - it's bulky for low calorie as well. If you like baby carrots, sub those in when you eat sandwiches in place of chips...
    - As far as starting, I find it helps to slowly start replacing things or I won't stick to it. So have chips one time, then not the next... Right now I try to focus on eating less of what I want vs overhauling my diet, helps to not feel totally frustrated. (personal experience)
  • pinkshoelaces
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Seriously, just have fun experimenting! Try new things, work out what you like and what you don't like. Don't make this something that should be hard and miserable. See it as more like an adventure. If you don't like carrots, don't eat carrots but if you do, that's awesome. I guarantee you'll find a bunch of things you never thought you'd like more than chips and cookies.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log everything you eat - use a digital scale for solids, never cups

Don't cut out any food groups or foods you love, just work out how to eat them within your calories

Develop foods you enjoy that are go-to foods ...we all have those cravings for something, it's easier if you start thinking about something you know will fit your calories at that snack time

Eat lots of vegetables - bulky and filling

Move more

Throw away every gimmick, fad, weight-loss tip you've ever heard - they're all noise that won't really affect the effectiveness of the main message of eat fewer calories than you use up
  • theskyrimjedi
    Options
    awesome advice. this is wonderful. thanks
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    TallyToes wrote: »

You don't necessarily have to replace those things if you can't find a satisfying alternative. You can still have those things, but I'd recommend weighing out a serving of it (the back of prepackaged foods should all have a serving size, and it will tell you how many grams a serving is. Weigh out the food until it equals how many grams it says.) This is the best to go by. Don't just believe when it says '11 chips equals 150 calories' because every chip weighs differently and this could be off').

If you find that you actually do want to cut out those things completely though, there's always starting with healthier alternatives of those foods, like baked chips or oatmeal cookies, then work up to replacing them with foods like almonds or a thin bagel with a very light serving of cream cheese. These are all just examples, and again, it's okay to have those things if you want to. It's just all about practicing self control.

agree totally
  • libbydoodle11
    Options
  • theskyrimjedi
    Options
    That link contains things that I need to work on. Sleep would be one of them. Being in college doesn't help that. lol
  • libbydoodle11
    Options
    Yeah, college doesn't teach you to sleep or eat well...
  • theskyrimjedi
    Options
    I will work on it. End of semester next week. :)
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    TallyToes wrote: »
    Seriously, just have fun experimenting! Try new things, work out what you like and what you don't like. Don't make this something that should be hard and miserable. See it as more like an adventure. If you don't like carrots, don't eat carrots but if you do, that's awesome. I guarantee you'll find a bunch of things you never thought you'd like more than chips and cookies.

One of the best pieces of dieting advice I have ever seen! If you can genuinely make dieting fun, then two thirds of the battle is already won.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat meals! Try new things! Get enough fat and protein.