hrm?

Options
I was thinking about buying one.but I was wondering if it will work on work outs like Wii fit work out and work out DVDs.i want something to track my calorie burn.

Replies

• hannahrichins
    Options
    I use the polar FT4 and do online workout videos. I LOVE it because before I used to estimate my average calorie burn and now I have a much better idea of how much I'm really burning and how hard I'm working. It's really easy to see if I need to push myself harder too :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you're just doing steady state cardio, an HRM is useless. Neither of those examples are steady state cardio, so I wouldn't waste your money. Doesn't Wii Fit track calories?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wii fit isnt 100% accurate either
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Unless you're just doing steady state cardio, an HRM is useless. Neither of those examples are steady state cardio, so I wouldn't waste your money. Doesn't Wii Fit track calories?

^^^ This (even though a HRM could be a useful way of tracking fitness improvements ie tracking your average HR during workouts and watching it drop over time)

• bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ok so it will be worthless for me then.because all I can do right now is work out DVDs,the Wii and walking.i guess I will just try to get an hour a day of exercise and try my best to watch what I eat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What about something like the new fitbit that has a HRM and an activity tracker?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    An HRM will work fine for any activity if you are using for what it is intended...monitoring heart rate. If you are using it in hopes that it will give you an accurate calorie burn estimation, steady state cardio (running, elliptical, bike..etc) is about the only thing an HRM will be even remotely accurate for.
  • bigcrystal123
    Options
    I was looking at the fitbit.i really just want to know how much I'm burning.so I know I'm doing something right.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the fitbit.i really just want to know how much I'm burning.so I know I'm doing something right.

Fitbit will tell you that, and syncs nicely with MFP.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT 60 and LOVE it!!
  • Hornsby
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Fitbits aren't really that accurate either. It is just a glorified pedometer. The only way to actually know what you are burning is to play around with calorie counts and intake numbers to figure it out.

ETA: That being said, most can usually use estimations and get pretty good results.
  • bigcrystal123
    Options
    I guess I will cross that off my Christmas list for now.i will just work on eating healthy and exercising an 30 mins to an hour a day.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I guess I will cross that off my Christmas list for now.i will just work on eating healthy and exercising an 30 mins to an hour a day.

I wouldn't say that. I just wouldn't bet on their calorie count estimations. Some people have had great results with them. I wear one just to motivate me to get up and walk around more at work as I work in IT. There are new models coming out at the beginning of next year that may do better. You may want to wait for those.

• mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    wii fit isnt 100% accurate either

Nothing is 100% accurate
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Not really sure why you are not wanting the fitbit... It sounds like exactly what you want. It tracks your activity and gives you a burn. If you want the HRM you can the the fitbit with it built in.
  • bigcrystal123
    Options
    I guess I will do more research on the fitbit
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and love it and nothing is 100% accurate. It is all about estimates.