Is here a way to plan a days eating plan without it being recorded

Options
I can see from my daily recordings that some foods are low or high in nutrition. Example I am trying to zero in on sugar sources. I would like to set up a model so to speak to plug in different foods and see what the effect would be for various nutrition items like sugar, this to help me plan a meal before eating it and recording it in myfitness pal:)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can enter and remove things as many times you like.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There is also a food data base where you can get the values, prior to entering in your diary.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but if I am trying to adjust something (increase or decrease a certain nutrient/calorie amount), I will have the items entered into my diary for a particular meal on a particular day AND then I will copy the meal into a future day and make a change and compare the differences ... I sometimes have 4-5 meals spread over days so I can compare the nutritional info of the meal with different variables. The ones I like, I save as a meal. The info can be easily deleted from your diary after you are finished comparing. I hope this helps.
  • no1texan
    no1texan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Very good and clear replies and easy to understand practical useful comments-right on what I am trying to do. A Texas thanks to you. I really like myfitnessPal more and more and especially this forum. It is such an active forum, with people really interested and concerned about others. Really an encouragement to me at this particular time.
    November 10 I had my annual physical exam and my primary doctor told me the results from my blood tests included an A1c of 11. He said my sugar levels are off the chart and we need to get this in control and down. I had known this for a long time but just not in medical terms. Coupled with my overweight condition, I was a walking time bomb. So I turned on the afterburners, turned the switch to full commitment and being proactive to make a turn around. I called and made an appointment with the Diabetic Center at the local hospital (I met with them a year ago-attended a diabetic workshop) but did not continue with a their plan. We met and they designed a practical and helpful eating program including checking my blood level fasting and after meals.
    Then I returned to the Y and re-start a program I had used months earlier but had stopped. This includes 30 minutes on the Elliptical, followed by 7 circuit machines, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill. I love it:)
    So my blood sugars started dropping, my weight slowly coming down and I felt great from all the "free" highs I was experiencing afterwards lasting for several hours.
    Then the other shoe dropped! I needed cataract surgery ASAP because my vision (I did not realize it) was 20/45 or higher. I had my first eye surgery Dec 10 and next one will be Dec 17. This puts my workouts on hold until a minimal of 2 weeks after Dec 17 and probably longer=in January.
    So to keep my weight in check I must watch my food intake, i.e. what I eat is super critical until I can to regular/daily workouts at the Y. This is where MyFitnessPal becomes the way to do this. And your comments are very helpful to me to know how to use MFP not only recording what I eat but use it to plan to meet my situation.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Maybe this link at webmd might help. I was just viewing it because I have low blood sugar (opposite of your problem), and the slide show gives some simple examples of what influences our blood sugar levels. Hope it helps you a bit. Btw, I'm not diabetic; but the info is relevant for anyone trying to regulate their blood sugars .. Which applies to both of us :). Take care :)

http://www.m.webmd.com/diabetes/ss/slideshow-blood-sugar-swings
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Having dealt with blood sugar issues myself, I know how tough it could be. After a large weight loss and the introduction of exercise, I no longer need to pay as much attention! My blood sugar levels are now within normal range. Of course in my case, I was not fully diabetic yet so I was able to reverse it. For someone who is already diabetic it's a little different. With weight loss, regular exercise and paying attention to what you eat you may be able to lower the dose of your medications!

Be aware that sugar alone (as in the sugar content in food) is not the main thing you need to pay attention to. All carbohydrates (and to a lesser extent protein) raise blood sugar. Sugar is just one type of carbohydrates.

I really wish you all the best, and hope you feel better and reclaim your health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Just a small caveat here... the data base is not necessarily accurate with carbohydrate counts. Try to find entries that do not have an asterisk next to them. If you have no choice but to select a starred entry, select one that says USDA or one that you can verify with a label on a package or by verifying up yourself by looking it up online.