I don't feel like eating....

Options
I'm a long time lurker, first time posting. Recently I started to take my weight loss goals seriously enough to actually put in effort. I've struggled with my weight and my relationship with food for a long time. My biggest culprits to my awful diet were coke, Chick fil a and hot wings, to name a few. I've cut out all processed foods recently and I only drink water. I have to admit I feel so good and my digestive tract could not be happier. The problem is now that I'm not eating poorly I've lost my desire to eat. Food is just not fun anymore and I never feel hungry anymore. I make myself eat throughout out the day because I know I have to, but I don't have the impulse or enjoyment I use to have. Right now my daily regimen includes drinking water (30-50 oz), mixed fruit salad for breakfast and boiled egg for breakfast, salad with blush wine vinegerette and grilled chicken for lunch, and spaghetti for dinner. What is wrong with me? Is this normal? By the way I don't even have the desire to eat the bad things anymore either.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods, peanut butter, nuts, steak, pasta etc.

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    shalane85 wrote: »
    I'm a long time lurker, first time posting. Recently I started to take my weight loss goals seriously enough to actually put in effort. I've struggled with my weight and my relationship with food for a long time. My biggest culprits to my awful diet were coke, Chick fil a and hot wings, to name a few. I've cut out all processed foods recently and I only drink water. I have to admit I feel so good and my digestive tract could not be happier. The problem is now that I'm not eating poorly I've lost my desire to eat. Food is just not fun anymore and I never feel hungry anymore. I make myself eat throughout out the day because I know I have to, but I don't have the impulse or enjoyment I use to have. Right now my daily regimen includes drinking water (30-50 oz), mixed fruit salad for breakfast and boiled egg for breakfast, salad with blush wine vinegerette and grilled chicken for lunch, and spaghetti for dinner. What is wrong with me? Is this normal? By the way I don't even have the desire to eat the bad things anymore either.

keep doing what you are doing until the bolded part changes. then do something else.
  • shalane85
    shalane85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What other calorie dense foods can I eat. MFP suggest I eat 1580 calories a day for my weight loss goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you have gone from one extreme of the spectrum i.e. eating fast food all the time, hot wings, etc; to the other side of the spectrum i.e. restricting everything that you think is "bad" and just trying to eat "clean"…whatever that is…

My advise is to find a middle ground…you can still eat chicken, steak, pork, bagels, some ice cream occasionally, and some hot wings if they fit into your daily goal…

it really is as easy as calories in vs calories out ….food type really has nothing to do with it unless you are trying to get to extremely low body fat, or are a high performance athlete...
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Are the things you mentioned the only things you eat? Eating the same things repetitively could easily be the reason why you feel so uninspired by your food/not wanting to eat. Try mixing things up and trying/enjoying new foods that you haven't had before!

Do you enjoy cooking? If you do, you can play with all the weird and awesome vegetables that you never tried when you ate fast food all the time. For example, I have a very limited palate when it comes to veggies; I mostly just eat lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers, generally in salad.

When I got married, since I now had my own kitchen and was free to experiment however I wanted, I went wild on the veggies. Now I use eggplant, zucchini, spinach, bell peppers, and so on. I'm not comfortable with some of them, and some I used to actively dislike or hate, but the more I eat them and prepare them, the more I enjoy them.

Basically... Expand your palate and be creative, have some fun with your food! Also, there's nothing wrong with adding in a few of your favorites here and there--Food should also be something to enjoy, that's why it has taste! :)
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think MPF sets the weight loss calorie goal pretty high. I set mine back to 1200 and have to fight to get 1000 calories in me. Being on low carb I am no longer hungry either. BUt you are not doing low carb. I do understand how you are feeling on not wanting to eat. Just do not let it go too far. I think for me the low carb is more fun because I can eat better tasting foods. Even so I do have to fight myself to eat some times. DO not give up.
  • shalane85
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    it sounds like you have gone from one extreme of the spectrum i.e. eating fast food all the time, hot wings, etc; to the other side of the spectrum i.e. restricting everything that you think is "bad" and just trying to eat "clean"…whatever that is…

My advise is to find a middle ground…you can still eat chicken, steak, pork, bagels, some ice cream occasionally, and some hot wings if they fit into your daily goal…

it really is as easy as calories in vs calories out ….food type really has nothing to do with it unless you are trying to get to extremely low body fat, or are a high performance athlete...

Honestly I just want to lose 30 lbs. I am definitely not a high performance athlete. I'm trying to change my life and my eating habits. I've tried before to lose weight but never stuck with it before. So I think I'm trying to find the middle ground of what I can eat, when I can eat it and how much I can it. Thanks for your response.
  • shalane85
    Options
    Are the things you mentioned the only things you eat? Eating the same things repetitively could easily be the reason why you feel so uninspired by your food/not wanting to eat. Try mixing things up and trying/enjoying new foods that you haven't had before!

Do you enjoy cooking? If you do, you can play with all the weird and awesome vegetables that you never tried when you ate fast food all the time. For example, I have a very limited palate when it comes to veggies; I mostly just eat lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers, generally in salad.

When I got married, since I now had my own kitchen and was free to experiment however I wanted, I went wild on the veggies. Now I use eggplant, zucchini, spinach, bell peppers, and so on. I'm not comfortable with some of them, and some I used to actively dislike or hate, but the more I eat them and prepare them, the more I enjoy them.

Basically... Expand your palate and be creative, have some fun with your food! Also, there's nothing wrong with adding in a few of your favorites here and there--Food should also be something to enjoy, that's why it has taste! :)

I try to change it up, I guess I felt my options were limited. I will experiment more with veggies since I do love to cook.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Honestly I just want to lose 30 lbs. I am definitely not a high performance athlete. I'm trying to change my life and my eating habits. I've tried before to lose weight but never stuck with it before. So I think I'm trying to find the middle ground of what I can eat, when I can eat it and how much I can it. Thanks for your response.

then I would suggest adding in some foods that you enjoy and just making sure that you stick to the calorie goal that MFP has given you. It is a great tool and if you follow it you will have success and reach your goals.

good luck…

• Susieq_1994
    Options

I try to change it up, I guess I felt my options were limited. I will experiment more with veggies since I do love to cook.

They're only limited if you limit them :) I love to cook, and especially love trying new recipes. I love trying to make really calorie dense recipes lighter and healthier while trying to maintain the taste, so I can get maximum enjoyment AND get nutrient dense foods in at the same time...Win win! I've even tried the cauliflower pizza crust (some people might lynch me for that, but it wasn't bad!), and I recently tried spaghetti squash and found it amazingly delicious :)

I make pasta dishes, macaroni and cheese, burgers with lean beef, chili, hummus, kababs, all kinds of soups and stews, and I enjoy every bit of it!! Feel free to PM me for some recipes if you want--I'd love to help you out :)
  • shalane85
    Options

They're only limited if you limit them :) I love to cook, and especially love trying new recipes. I love trying to make really calorie dense recipes lighter and healthier while trying to maintain the taste, so I can get maximum enjoyment AND get nutrient dense foods in at the same time...Win win! I've even tried the cauliflower pizza crust (some people might lynch me for that, but it wasn't bad!), and I recently tried spaghetti squash and found it amazingly delicious :)

I make pasta dishes, macaroni and cheese, burgers with lean beef, chili, hummus, kababs, all kinds of soups and stews, and I enjoy every bit of it!! Feel free to PM me for some recipes if you want--I'd love to help you out :)

Thanks a lot. How do you make mac n cheese non fattening, or at least calorie dense?
  • shalane85
    Options

then I would suggest adding in some foods that you enjoy and just making sure that you stick to the calorie goal that MFP has given you. It is a great tool and if you follow it you will have success and reach your goals.

good luck…

Thank you! I will!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try some new recipes! I think a lot of people think you have to eat "diet food" to lose weight, but you can make tons of things at home that are interesting and that help you meet your goals. Pinterest is your friend. Also you can work in some of the old foods in moderation.

All that said, if you lose your appetite for a long time you might consider going to the doctor, especially if you have any other symptoms. Loss of appetite can be caused by a lot of things.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Thanks a lot. How do you make mac n cheese non fattening, or at least calorie dense?

Well, I usually use skimmed milk, low-fat cheese, and a much smaller amount of butter (Or just use margarine) when I make it... Although that's obviously sacrilege to some people ;) For some reason, I honestly couldn't taste any difference between a macaroni and cheese that I made with heavy cream and full-fat cheese (In smaller amounts than the low fat, though) and my usual one, although I was prepared to switch over and have smaller servings if it tasted better.

But mac and cheese will always be pretty calorie dense, so I make smaller servings and have a big salad before or after it to help me fill up. :)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising a lot? Some workouts can make you less hungry. I sometimes have a hard time getting all my calories in too, but that is usually when I've had a stressful day with no time to eat, and then it's 10pm, and I have no energy to even heat up one of my frozen meals. I still enjoy eating, though.

Getting creative with spices can help make food more enjoyable without adding a lot of calories. Try to recreate your favorite resturaunt meals at home. You can add more veggies so it's more nutritious, and control the sodium.

I personally like greek yogurt. It adds a luxurious feel, but the amount can be adjusted to fit within my daily calories. I can mix it with berries or vanilla or I you like, and it tastes kind of like cheesecake (to me, anyways), and helps to meet my protein goals (I have trouble with this, I don't like eggs...) Good luck, and try to get at least 1200 calories a day. :)