Looking for a Nutritionist Specializing in Multiple Allergy Diets

The closest diet plan and recipes that I've found that eliminate some of the foods to which I am allergic is the Auto Immune Paleo Plan, but there are many foods in that plan that need to be eliminated and a few foods that need to be added.

Replies

• ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    I would suggest you get a referral to one by your doctor. I did for my son when he was little due to his allergies and intolerances and digestive issues. They provided me with invaluable resources. I'm not sure you will find a nutritionist here. You could also ask at your local hospital. Your hospital would also have a library that you could use to reference information. You usually cannot take out their books but you can use them while you are there and they usually will make copies of pages that are particularly helpful to you. That's what I did and found great info. Good luck :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    You want a registered dietician, not a nutritionist. Your physician should be able to refer you.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Do you have an allergist? They should be able to make recommendations on foods. What are you allergic to?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    You need to contact either your allergist or primary care physician. They will be able to refer you to a registered dietician (you do not want to see a nutritionist).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    As above, get a referral. :)

It's unlikely that they'll tell you exactly what foods to eat, though. They will be able to guide you so that you can make the right choices, though.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    First off, determine whether you *really* have the allergies that you think you do.

I don't mean to sound disparaging. If you've actually got food allergies, you obviously need to eat around them. And you should work with your primary care physician and your allergist to build a plan. Ask for a referral to a licensed dietitian if you need more help.

BUT... there's a huge fad lately where these unlicensed nutritionists (read: quacks) will perform tests with zero scientific merit and tell you that you're "allergic" to all sorts of foods. I'd hate to see you cutting perfectly good food out of your diet just because you are falsely told you can't have it.

Read this, for instance: sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/
  • Thank you so much for the advice everyone, I will ask my PC physician for a referral to a dietician. :D

Yes, I've been tested by an allergist, 2.5 months ago through my PC physician (after having had hives the size of golfballs and two weeks on oral steroids) and the FOOD allergy results are that I am allergic to wheat, eggs, milk and foods derived from milk (cheese, yogurt, whey, etc.), barley, soy, sesame, oats, corn, white potato,tree nuts, shrimp, cod, tomato, mango, peaches, maple, hickory, oak,mulberries, bananas and oranges. Through reactions and previous tests, I am also allergic to lamb, eggplant, haddock, agave, yellow #5 (food coloring) and all types of sulfites, sulfa and sulphur (which eliminates wine, most hard apple cider, most liquor, most, if not all protein powders [and the ability to go into pools or hot tubs that use bromine instead of chlorine]). On a really good note, it helps to know which foods cause the allergic reactions I've experienced throughout most of my life and associating those foods with the undesirable reaction that they cause makes it much easier to avoid them.

Again, thank you!
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    My sons list is similar to yours, and he's almost 19 now and very physically healthy. I'm glad you're going to ask for a referral to a dietician. I'm surprised they didn't do so automatically; but it's better late than never. They will help you get a balance of things and suggest supplements (in case you can't get your nutrition from your food for certain things - ie calcium). Keep your chin up. It will take time but you will get answers and some direction :). The allergy cookbook helped me tremendously when my son was little. There are probably lots of good titles now and certainly ask the dietician what they recommend. They should allow you to continue consulting with the dietician until you're comfortable with meeting your nutritional needs. Also, it would be relevant to ask your dr to have your blood checked through this process, to make sure your blood levels of various nutrients are being met. Take care :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    You have maple, hickory, oak, and mulberry in this list, so do you also have pollen allergies? I don't have my cross reactivity list handy at the moment, but foods and pollens commonly cross react with one another. It may or may not be helpful to you to know what those interactions are. Just something to think about when talking to your allergist.
  • Yes, I have pollen allergies as well, but was more concerned with the food allergies. Thank you for the recommendations. :smile: