Eating too few calories

Options
Ever noticed that this post comes up a lot?!? People eating too few calories to reach their 1200 min calorie intake. I think I know why it was difficult for me, and I'm hoping this knowledge will help some of you who also deal with the same issues. When wanting to lose weight in the past, I've held this idea that I should only eat the "diet" foods and stay away from my favorite items, since they are, incidentally, what got me fat to begin with, right? That belief is why I always gained the weight back though... it wasn't realistic. Those foods weren't why I gained my weight. It was the amount I ate of those foods! Anyway, I've learned if I have the extra calories, to trust MFP and eat them. Treat yourself to enjoying them... try something like baked tortilla chips and hummus, or nuts! Higher in calories, but well worth it! Or even a little ice cream here and there. I ate a s'more last night since it fit in my calories... and hey, it really feels good to splurge a little every once in a while. I will reach my goal. I will learn proportions, and how to fit in splurges and STILL LOSE WEIGHT. And doing it this way I will keep it off. Before, I would never allow myself to eat anything like a dessert when trying to lose weight ! Truly, you will lose the weight and keep it off only if you allow yourself the calories your body needs. Just wanted to share what I learned. I've lost over 70 pounds and it's not nearly the struggle I thought it would be.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I feel the same way you do!! I have always restricted myself so much while trying to lose weight before that I always failed. MFP has taught me that eating is important. Food is not the enemy!! It is ok to eat garlic bread and cupcakes, as long as it is only one and not every day!!! It has been easier to lose weight then ever in the past and I have lost more than I ever have. Thanks MFP!!!!:drinker:
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do this. It is hard to think about putting the number of calories into my body that MFP says to. I am so set in the mind frame of "the less you eat, the more you lose." With the amount of exercise I do, I've come to learn I am starving my body which has the opposite effect of what I want to be doing!
  • busymomyof3
    busymomyof3 Posts: 31
    Options
    such good advise! i think when we try to completely eliminate those things, such as ice cream & chocolate out of diets we are doomed to fail. I <3 chocolate but now i don't always grab a candy bar in the checkout lane at the store :) instead i may splurge once a week and have some ice cream or that chocolate but i keep it with in my calorie goal. I also have to keep a check on my serving sizes. for me that means i have to measure everything out.. if im eating rice & the serving size is a 1/2 c. then i only eat a 1/2c... veggies i will eat more of if i am still hungry.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post Julie!! yeah it is so important that we get over the "diet mentality" of starving and severly cutting back foods. many of us saw our mothers do just that our entire childhoods so this type of thinking just sank in and it is the devil to get it out!!

Almost all of my firends do NOT eat to their net...they all have excuses and reasons...it sorta sad, because they will be the yo-yo folks.

I decided that along with losing weight and growing muscles I wanted to enjoy life and not feel deprived....I wanted to get smart and fit, tha's why I joined MFP.

So very nice to read from like minded people - have a great fitness day and be well!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am starting to do this. It is hard to think about putting the number of calories into my body that MFP says to. I am so set in the mind frame of "the less you eat, the more you lose." With the amount of exercise I do, I've come to learn I am starving my body which has the opposite effect of what I want to be doing!

Good for you!... Indeed it's hard to wrap our brains around it since we were brainwashed as children into thinking losing weight was just eating carrots and celery. We could get away with that back then, since we had resilient metabolisms, but I know I screwed mine up through the years of eating way too few calories, and then eating only protein, or shakes, or freeze dried meals warmed in the micro with water... I thought that was the only way to go. Each time I lost, then gained more back. Three cheers for finding MFP!! We are the lucky ones you know... We found the secret to making lasting change... being aware of what we eat, finding out how to make it work within our daily lifestyles and budgets, and having the emotional support and ideas of people around the world at our fingertips.
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I have this problem a lot. When I first started I tried to stay under. Then I realized {through reading posts like this} that in order to lose weight {which I actually gained 4lbs starving myself} I had to eat at least the 1200. I've been trying hard, but there are days that I just can't eat anything else.

What do you do on days like that?
  • KattKitty
    KattKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key-- not deprivation! (As you seem to already be aware)
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have this problem a lot. When I first started I tried to stay under. Then I realized {through reading posts like this} that in order to lose weight {which I actually gained 4lbs starving myself} I had to eat at least the 1200. I've been trying hard, but there are days that I just can't eat anything else.

What do you do on days like that?

I'm so glad you asked that question. Because of the crazy diets I've been on, the hormones that trigger "hunger" to my brain are malfunctioning... They will be normal again at some point... but right now I can't trust them... I have to trust MFP. Okay, so what do I do? I started out by counting out the number of almonds or walnuts I should eat to fill the rest of the goal. Nuts don't spike the blood sugars so I wasn't worried about going to bed with them undigested (my dad has diabetes, so I have that concern). Anyway, I counted nuts. But, even the all natural peanut butter or almond butter is a good choice... they have about 170-200 calories per 2 tbps... so if you put it on a whole grain cracker (I use Wasa since most are not really whole grains) you have a lot of calories. Sometimes I'd just stare at the nuts or cracker and even just smell it. I wasn't hungry and had a really hard time with it. However, once I started eating it, I was fine. Now, I look forward to those extra calories and I will splurge, like I said I ate a s'more last night. Its a crazy feeling to be able to eat something like that without guilt. I had never felt that feeling before... guilt free sweets!?!? WHAT!?!? Yep. Now it's a pleasure. I am not nearly as nervous about eating my splurge earlier in the day now either... It's okay. Not to worry. Worst case scenario, I'm hungry and left without calories... so I make a hot tea, and go to bed feeling great!
  • B140
    B140 Posts: 56
    Options
    Now, I look forward to those extra calories and I will splurge, like I said I ate a s'more last night. Its a crazy feeling to be able to eat something like that without guilt.

This is how I feel. Getting rid of the guilt about giving yourself a treat and knowing that eating food is actually helping you instead of hurting you are two things that have really helped me stay on track.