Bathroom issue (tmi warning)

Options

Replies

• abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    what time of day do you usually take a dump?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    hard stools are a sign of constipation

increase your daily intake of fibre to at least 30g day (you can track this on MFP I personally switched out sugar for fibre tracking). Raspberries are great as are vegetables and cereals.

Add some bulking agents, such as wheat bran, to your diet. These will help make your stools softer and easier to pass.

Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of water.

Try to get more exercise.

My fiber seems to be about 7grams or less most days, so should I imediately increase to 30, or go slow and add a few grams each day?

Unfortunately I'm allergic (anaphylaxis) to wheat which is why it is likely so low.

Increase gradually.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor today to discuss repeat blood work and brought the bathroom issue up. She told me that it is likely a side effect of being chronically dehydrated from the high dose antihistamines I am taking. She said that if it doesn't get better within a week or so, I may have to consider taking something until I can stop the antihistamines. She did however order a stool sample just to ensure there isn't anything more malicious going on.
  • lizzie6580
    lizzie6580 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I agree with everybody above that your fiber intake is too low and that is the biggest source of the problem. Why it hasn't affected you before now, I have no idea. But, I will say that increasing my fiber intake has helped me feel fuller, and there are definitely healthy and natural ways to increase your intake. It will probably take some time to figure out what those are for you (what you like, and what works), so in the mean time I have two suggestions. First, I use Benefiber and stir it into water if I am feeling particularly constipated or gassy. Second, I love KeVita's sparkling probiotic drinks, especially the Lemon Cayenne Cleanse. It has 10 calories for the entire bottle, and trust me, it works. I don't drink it everyday, but I do drink it a couple of times a week and it helps me to stay regular. When I wake up and feel "full" and "solid," I drink a bottle, and by the end of the day, I am good. LOL. Good luck!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Prune juice
  • elphie754
    Options
    lizzie6580 wrote: »
    Okay, so I agree with everybody above that your fiber intake is too low and that is the biggest source of the problem. Why it hasn't affected you before now, I have no idea. But, I will say that increasing my fiber intake has helped me feel fuller, and there are definitely healthy and natural ways to increase your intake. It will probably take some time to figure out what those are for you (what you like, and what works), so in the mean time I have two suggestions. First, I use Benefiber and stir it into water if I am feeling particularly constipated or gassy. Second, I love KeVita's sparkling probiotic drinks, especially the Lemon Cayenne Cleanse. It has 10 calories for the entire bottle, and trust me, it works. I don't drink it everyday, but I do drink it a couple of times a week and it helps me to stay regular. When I wake up and feel "full" and "solid," I drink a bottle, and by the end of the day, I am good. LOL. Good luck!

Ty, I will look into the drink. Unfortunately I can't take benefiber due to a severe allergy to gluten and it has traces of gluten (under 20ppm so it can be considered "gluten free).
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Prune juice

prunejuice.jpg
  • suevand
    suevand Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm doing fine in that department since starting back on My Fitness Pal. Must be all the good food now and portion control. The only time I run into a problem is when I go all out on cheese.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Probiotics to get the gut bacteria up to speed, perhaps.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Coffee imo... strong coffee
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue recently, I cleared it up with:

Stool softeners twice a day
    Increased Vegetable Intake
    Increased Fibre Intake

Hope that helps.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Miralax is quite gentle way to get things going. But if its been constant it may be lacking fiber. Mangoes are great. Did you take any anti-diarrheal when you were having the stomach bug? You can end up on the other end if you take them. Fiber and water often when we have stomach bugs we don't eat much at all let alone get enough fiber.

I also agree, for either problem probiotics help a lot.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Apples. Natural, cheap.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

increase your daily intake of fibre to at least 30g day (you can track this on MFP I personally switched out sugar for fibre tracking). Raspberries are great as are vegetables and cereals.

Add some bulking agents, such as wheat bran, to your diet. These will help make your stools softer and easier to pass.

My fiber seems to be about 7grams or less most days, so should I imediately increase to 30, or go slow and add a few grams each day?

Unfortunately I'm allergic (anaphylaxis) to wheat which is why it is likely so low.

Increase gradually.

This. Straight up isn't good. I don't do 30 often but 20 put me in the regular category. A 200g green red/apple can give me about 7g of fibre.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    lizzie6580 wrote: »

Ty, I will look into the drink. Unfortunately I can't take benefiber due to a severe allergy to gluten and it has traces of gluten (under 20ppm so it can be considered "gluten free).

You might look into Quest bars. They are gluten free and around 17g of fiber per bar.

I take magnesium daily (it's not a laxative, btw). I also use a stool like someone mentioned above.

I was constipated on and off for 4-5 months. The above things have kept me regular now for over a week (longest streak ever).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    More fiber may increase constipation, not lessen it. A general, recommended daily intake is 25 grams per day (women) and 38 grams per day (men). Increasing all at once may INCREASE constipation.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/4-warning-signs-your-diet-may-lack-fiber

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/problems-much-fiber-7414.html
  • elphie754
    Options
    So I started taking fiber capsules yesterday. I'm starting with two, twice a day and then will go from there to increase slowly. This is going to sound really gross, but has anyone who has taken fiber capsules noticed a change in smells of their stool? I can't describe it, but it smells kind of like the fiber bottle...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So I started taking fiber capsules yesterday. I'm starting with two, twice a day and then will go from there to increase slowly. This is going to sound really gross, but has anyone who has taken fiber capsules noticed a change in smells of their stool? I can't describe it, but it smells kind of like the fiber bottle...

I don't smell my stools
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Do you like nuts? A handful or two of almonds really helps me when things slow down a little. They are a great source of fiber (4 grams per ounce) as well as healthy fat, both of which help move things along.

A recent illness, with or without medication, can do a number on the intestinal flora. Do you eat yogurt? Try adding some but make sure it has the active cultures in it. That can help restore the healthy digestive bacteria.

• elphie754
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Do you like nuts? A handful or two of almonds really helps me when things slow down a little. They are a great source of fiber (4 grams per ounce) as well as healthy fat, both of which help move things along.

A recent illness, with or without medication, can do a number on the intestinal flora. Do you eat yogurt? Try adding some but make sure it has the active cultures in it. That can help restore the healthy digestive bacteria.

I do like nuts. I don't have any in the house right now, but can certainly add them to shopping list for tomorrow.

I do eat yogurt. I eat chobani Greek yogurt since most other yogurts tend to have artificial dye in the for the flavors I like. I also take a probiotic (just switched from acidophilus only to one that has more than just that).