HRM Help!

Options
Since I've started MFP, I've noticed that the calorie counts don't always seem to be right on here for exercise. For instance, my husband and I run and walk a 3.25 mile loop about 4-5 times per week, but it's slightly uphill, and on some days I'm running into the wind, not to mention pushing a jogging stroller with my 20 month old. There's no way for MFP to compensate for that. So, I recently purchased a Mio Classic HRM mostly because it was on clearance because the store was not going to carry the pink model anymore. I figured an HRM is an HRM, and I liked that it was a strapless one. The problem is that it wouldn't consistently take my heart rate while I was running. It was fine while I was walking, but sometimes I had to try five or six times to get a reading while running, and sometimes it was an off the wall reading like 60 bpm while increasing speed. Needless to say, I took it back, but now I'm on the hunt for a different one. I really don't know much about them, and I want to get something I'll be happy with. I'm not against wearing one with a strap as long as it's comfortable. I also have small wrists, so I need one that has a small watch band. I'm mainly looking for one that will give me calorie burn, show my fat burn zone, and record the length of a workout. I don't need anything fancy, just reliable. I've read so many mixed reviews on different HRM's that I'm absolutely lost. Right now I'm leaning towards a Polar FT7F. I would like something for under $150 as well. I'd love to hear feedback, especially from fellow runners!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    im not a runner, but if you want accuracy, get one WITH a chest strap..i have a polar ft4, and i got it for around $99..i love mine..do some research first to find the right one for you, but polars are supposed to be the best out there..best of luck
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem! And in talking with "those in the know" who run and use devices like this, the only accurate option is a GPS watch that measures all that stuff, and that'll set you back a few hundred. Otherwise, just take your own pulse at some intervals just to make sure you're keeping your hr up in the zone you want.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have the polar F4 and I love it. The strap is comfortable and it was originally 89.99 at olympia sports, but I had a 20% off coupon and that made it $71.99.

It has been great, I use it running, in kickboxing, step and on the elliptical.
  • iq5203
    iq5203 Posts: 17
    Options
    Body bug is the way to go if you want an accurate calorie count.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If your looking for the Ft7, go buy it from drugstore.com. It's 109 and then 20 dollars off. There is also another coupon on couponcabin.com for 10 dollars off 80 or more, which brings it down to 79.95. This is the one I'm personally getting, but I would look at all models just to make sure.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    Read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    Good data there, well worth the read. I currently own 3 different HRMs, and am planning on yet another upgrade so that I can have something that more accurately estimates burn during strength training work... In general, I would say that 1) you get what you pay for, and 2) you need to decide how OCD about logging you want to be and then buy a unit that meets that need.
  • Jackie0127
    Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got my FT4 at Best Buy for Under $90. It is great! It shows my fat burn zone, my heart rate, my calories burned, and it gives you a data chart with the information of your work (time, calores burned, and maintained heart rate). I love my HRM! It has a starp, and it's really confortable! :)
    Good Luck!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky to have an amazing husband! :-) My Mother's Day gift from him was a Polar FT7F!! Since he knew I wanted one so badly, he gave it to me early. I'm going to try it out tonight, and I'll let you all know what I think!