Over 40...Not quite fabulous

Options
Hello, I am new to this site or at least I am now active in this site. Joined over a year ago, but didn't invest in it. So here I am, and I am beginning a new journey to loose the weight and keep it off. I need to loose at least 50-60 lbs. I am the mother of three children. Two are grown and have moved out of the nest. Our youngest is a freshman in HS. Empty nest syndrome is already setting in. I have one grandbaby. He's three! Not sure what to do here, except look to encourage others in their journey as well and find some accountability for myself.

Replies

• doeharris74
    doeharris74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 41 and even though I have young ones I'm feeling the empty nest syndrome as my twin girls are on their way to their senior year. I have 6 in total but 2 are gone making families of their own. I have grandchildren that I have not met yet because we live in California and my adult children are on the east coast. I started at 168lbs lost close to 20lbs but lost my conviction due to having health issues that resulted in a double mastectomy. So now I'm back at 158lbs and 5 consecutive days hoping to stick to it this time and make it back to the 130's weight wise which works well for my 5" frame. Best of luck to us both!!!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit = weight lose......simple and it works....good luck
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    oops weight loss......lol
  • ISPtc
    ISPtc Posts: 3
    Options
    Best of luck to you both :) Just remember it's 1 day at a time. You win the war by winning the daily battles. I'm 51. My two kids are away at school. I just joined the gym in May and my son got me going on myfitnesspal in Oct. I told my son today that I lost 30 pounds so far. He said "Dad, I'm very proud of you" If that doesn't make this process feel worthwhile, nothing will :)
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well, if raising three kids and pampering one grandchild is not fabulous, then I don't know what is... :-)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hi. Sounds like me...joined MFP but never used it for....yikes ! For four years.
    I have been here now daily for 16 months. I am now 5 lbs under my original goal weight.
    For a total of 45 lbs. I am 56. After age 50, I thought losing weight was going to be impossible.
    If you are serious, this DOES work !
    You will need patience and a food scale.
    And don't give up if you have a bad day or two or three....
    Best feeling in the world to be wearing clothes 2-3 sizes smaller.
    Good luck on your journey !
    If you have any questions feel free to ask or add me as a friend.
    I am not an expert by any means and I don't work out.
    All about calorie deficit for me.
  • kareneastwood865
    kareneastwood865 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hello! Logging consistently has helped me. I am 49 with two teenagers that run us ragged. I started the fitness piece first this time. I didn't realize how out of control my eating was until I started tracking. Wishing you luck. You can do this!