Do i log my school walks

Options
I walk 2 hours a day to and from my llittle boys school some days il walk a little longer.
Should i log my school walks?
In sept Ill be doing an extra school trip should i log that aswell?

Replies

• denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I would. You could even turn it into a power walk on the way home, add in some weights. That kind of thing.
  • emilylaura7
    emilylaura7 Posts: 51
    Options
    i would log it...exercise is exercise whether it's walking briskly or leisurely :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    If you know how many calories you are burning (ie a heart rate moniter) then you should log it, especially if you have your profile set at sedentary...

If you have no idea how many calories you are burning dont' trust MFPs and I wouldn't log it... maybe just eat a 100 calories more or so.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    HELL YES! Thats a lot of calorie burn!!! Your legs are getting a workout!
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    If its something you have been doing a while I personally wouldn't. I walk to school 3 times a day too but have been a while so class it as my normal activity and think my body is used to it. Plus also means its a calorie bonus unallowed for so may help. I only add my deliberate exercise like going to the gym. But thats just me x
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I don't log my school walks but then mine are only 15 mins each way and I'm walking all day as deliberate exercise.

Here it gets complicated (a little) though: If you don't log that walk and you're doing it every day it does count towards your general activity level which you may need to change in your settings (especially if you are set to 'sedentary'),

I have two kids and do the associated cleaning, cooking etc for the family. My activity level is set to 'lightly active' and I log anything that's not normal household stuff. A pop to the cornershop? Don't log it. A deliberate power-walking detour to a greengrocer further away than I need to go, plus carrying heavy bags home from my detour? Yes I log that!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I guess this is a personal choice. I walk a bit to get to work, but I consider it a part of my every day routine so I do not count it. There are days I think about it, and could use those extra calories. :bigsmile: If I go beyond what I consider my 'daily routine' I wear my HRM (if I am thinking about it) and chart it.

If you feel good about charting it then yes yes yes chart it! :heart: This is about what works for you, and giving your self credit where it is due! :flowerforyou:
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try to run a little bit on the way home. You probably wouldn't want to do it on the way to school so your are not all huffing and puffing and sweaty, but on the way home -- why not? You can do intervals, walk 2 minutes, run 2 minutes and increase the amount of running.
    If you feel you are too heavy to run, don't - I started at 250 pounds or so with my running. Just run slower and make sure you have decent shoes.
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i have set my planner to sedenary or however you spell it but i do count in walks, especially school runs. in fact me and my son jogged this morning (13 mins it took us) and i went into town after and set that too. stopped my pedometer and re started it for this pm's run. i burned 181 cals apparently but i think i have sprained my lower right calf. feels like i have a cramp constantly.
    but yes i would defo log it, exercise is exercise