What is Your Healthy Diet?

Options
What does your healthy diet look like? What kind of diet were you on the worked long-term on weight loss, as well as weight control? As in, what were the main kinds of food you ate? Please be as specific as you can. For example, if chicken is a regular part of your diet, please say "chicken" rather than "meat".

This can include your own "custom" diet, or even a commercial diet that actually worked for you. Personally, I have considered doing The South Beach Diet or Eat to Live. If anyone has tried either of these, please do let me know!

Thank you!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Food, in moderation

No, really, the only thing I've done is cut down how much I eat. I eat chicken, I eat McDonalds, I eat salads, I eat ice cream.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I can only speak for weight control because I've never been overweight. I have been over what I like to be and have altered my eating to lose a few kilos from time to time (I'm doing this at present with the aim to lose 4 kilos, 3 to go).

My diet mainly consists of fruit (2-3 serves a day), veges, which I have in salads, frittatas, stir fries, roasted; naturally sweet Greek yogurt (which is lactose free releasing the glucose and making it deliciously sweet); high protein bread or rice cakes; peanut butter, vegemite (Aussie), cheese; chicken or fish, eggs, legumes; chocolate protein bar; coffee and tea (black for hot drinks and green for iced drinks); treats when I feel like them, including alcohol. I prefer not to deprive myself of anything, but fortunately my favourite foods tend to be not so calorie dense. I believe in eating a wide variety of food for nutrients, phytochemicals and to help out my gut flora :p I don't believe in restricting any foods that I enjoy, but by choice, I rarely eat fried foods, takeaway, and I don't eat red meat.

What do you like to eat rosestring? Can you work it in at a calorie deficit to lose weight?
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    See, due to being on-the-go all of the time, I have been stuck eating fast food and heavily processed foods. I am 160 pounds at 5' 4". I hate it.

I'm thinking of trying to make a strong change to the Mediterranean diet (which actually sounds a lot like your diet, Charlotte). However, I don't where to begin to make such a drastic change! I do know I'm sick of eating fast food and sweets... A lot of them don't even taste that good anymore; it's just the easiest food I can grab.

I do, however, love whole grains, fruit, and skinless chicken. Don't like soda hardly at all. So that's a start, I guess.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I just saw the med diet pyramid in another thread and I agree that my diet naturally tends to fit quite well. Fortunately that's the way I like to eat and I do love my food!

Do you cook rosestring? I cook quite a bit but usually nothing that takes up a lot of time. On a Sunday, I might make a chicken and veg lasagne that will last until wednesday for lunches. I often use bottled sauces and frozen veg to save time. I work 5 days a week with 2 hrs travelling time so I'm pretty time poor. At night I might stirfry some chicken with veges and bottled sauce and a small amount of rice or noodles.

One of the best things I ever bought was an airfryer. It helps me make yummy dinners in no time!
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe ideas! I will definitely have to follow some of those.

Anyone else have ideas?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I like tinned unicorn meat.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Stuff like chicken and pork usually get cooked in the oven or crock pot instead of sautéed. That said, I do eat less meat and more beans. I've dramatically cut down on bread and pasta and I eat out rarely. I eat more veggies and eggs.

But you're going to have to look at your diet and see where you can make changes. You're more likely to stick with your diet if it's foods you enjoy. Maybe you won't find it as easy to cut out bread, maybe you'll find it easier to give up full-calorie cheese or the occasional cookie.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me? The learning of the south beach diet coupled with the Mediterranean diet for livability. I lost my weight using a mostly med diet approach and then incorporated some south beach diet (which is based on the Mediterranean doet) principles into it for maintenance. That was almost 14 years ago.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Same stuff I ate before but in moderation. For example, when I was 10 kilos heavier, I would eat up to three packs of cookies a day (ver low point of my existence), now I still eat cookies every day, but just what the package says a portion is... Same with Kit Kats: I can't buy them here so I store them every time I happen to pass by a Duty Free, right now I must have like 3kg of them and I only eat two fingers at breakfast.
    And junk food (ex. McDonald's) is something I still have and I just make it fit.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Eat a wide range of foods and stay within my calorie counts. Try hard to eat more produce than not. Enjoy food cooked from fresh ingredients and avoid pre-packaged food, mostly.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I count my calories, and I base my meals on the starchy foods I enjoy. So lots of rice and beans and potatoes and pasta and cereals for me :)

I lost 20lbs before I got here, and another 36 after I got here. Hanging at goal now.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    portion control, 2 cups of raw veggies a day--I'm a snacker and will eat whatever is at hand--cookies, chocolate, pastry (hence the weight gain), so if I pack 2 cups of veggies in a tupperware and have that at my desk to nibble on all day that REALLY helps. What else? non-fat greek yogurt-1/2 cup mixed with 1/2 cup berries and 1/4 cup muesli is breakfast most days, replacing empty calories with calorie-dense food--for example, I would rather have a whole apple and 1 tablespoon of whole ground peanut butter for 145 calories than a teeny little piece of candy for the same calories (my choice). stuff like that. deciding what I can live without and what I can't and how to make that work. exercise more days than not--at age 44 exercise is good for lots of things, not just weight loss/vanity.