Going to the Super Market

Options
I'm going grocery shopping soon. What should I buy if I want to bulk? Keep in mind that I am a poor student.

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I was thinking these beef filled tortellini pastas (carbs and protein) and then also some processed ham slices (protein).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ice cream
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you're going for cheap, I'd go with chicken breast for protein and rice for carbs. Pasta is also pretty cheap.
  • Accuclean
    Accuclean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Brown rice .99 cents a pound at sprouts. Hamburger is cheaper than steak, I think. Eat a lot of cottage cheese right before bed.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited December 2014
    Options
    hey guys, lately i've been eating these tortellini pastas filled with beef (i also get ones filled with chicken and bacon mmmm)...

i mix them with tomato sauce and ham slices

super easy for a student (like me) to make

i know you guys have been recommending chicken which is obviously without a doubt a better source of protein than processed ham/pepperoni slices, but I dunno... chicken seems to much of a pain to make. you have to defrost it and deal with all the blood and stuff hahaha i sound like such a girl right now, but ham, i can just cut it up into little slices and mix it with the pasta and tomato sauce. so yeah, that's like the main meal for me right now. for snack, i have ice cream and fruits.

so im about to go to the supermarket again, what should i add to my list:

tortellini pastas filled with beef or chicken and bacon (carbs and protein)
    tomato sauce (carbs)
    processed ham and pepperoni slices (protein)
    frozen fruits (carbs)
    ice cream (carbs)
    milk (carbs and protein)
    cereal (carbs)

remember, i'm looking to bulk, so I really need those high caloric dense foods. might consider buying bread, jelly, and pb. i'm also not seeing enough protein in this list, i need more protein i feel, but I don't like dealing with raw meats.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    google easy crock pot chicken

boom done

or easy bake chicken.

and wtf kind of chicken are you getting that's got a bunch of blood on it?? I mean steaks yeah- but chicken? There is usually very little blood.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Eggs have lots of protein! And if you want more calories with nutrition, get some cheese. Make a big ol' cheese omelet!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    the red stuff in most chicken, fish, or beef that that matter is NOT blood, just rinse it off and you'll be fine.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I recently read somewhere that ancient Roman gladiators were primarily vegetarian, and ate mostly beans and barley to bulk. You can get those for cheap. Or, you can spend more and add in meat and dairy products.

http://archive.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/gladiator.html
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I recently read somewhere that ancient Roman gladiators were primarily vegetarian, and ate mostly beans and barley to bulk. You can get those for cheap. Or, you can spend more and add in meat and dairy products.

http://archive.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/gladiator.html

Gladiators were slaves- epic slaves- but slaves never the less- it's not like they got their pick of food frequently
    -
    And they supplimented
    But a diet of barley and vegetables would have left the fighters with a serious calcium deficit. To keep their bones strong, historical accounts say, they downed vile brews of charred wood or bone ash, both of which are rich in calcium

no thanks.. I'll just eat meat.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    lol i just ended up buying an entire pack of frozen chicken breasts
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For proteins, dark meat chicken (leg quarters with skin is very cheap and it's easy to remove skin if you don't want it) tends to be a lot cheaper by the pound than white breast meat. Whole chickens are cheap by the pound too. You could even get a whole turkey on sale, cook it, and freeze single or double servings. It would last you a long time, and you'd get several meals out of it. The trick in that case is to learn how to prep it differently every meal so you don't get bored, but there're a lot of good recipes for turkey leftovers.

Cheap carbs: beans, rice, pasta, etc. with sauces.

Frozen veggies are, nutritionally, almost as good as fresh and a lot less expensive.

Bag of apples or grapes should be cheap also.

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ham is good, I love that too, but you might take in too much salt with that as a regular part of diet. Pepperoni is high fat & salt, so use it more as a flavoring instead of a main source of calories and protein.

I agree with the comments that eggs/chicken/turkey are a better as a regular mainstay protein, IMO. Good luck!
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Probably not the healthiest, but from a calorie only point of view...my ex used to drink a pint of ice cream with each meal to boost cals!

But eggs, mince (bulk up with all different types of beans) and rice are all cheap and will help you up your calories.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i like that ice cream idea above :smiley:
  • darreneatschicken
    edited December 2014
    Options
    what are some good bulking snacks?

this is what I am always stocked with now:

tortellini pastas filled with beef or chicken and bacon (carbs and protein)
    tomato sauce (carbs)
    processed ham and pepperoni slices (protein)
    chicken (protein)
    eggs (protein)
    frozen fruits (carbs)
    ice cream (carbs)
    milk (carbs and protein)
    cereal (carbs)

so I only have ham, fruits, ice cream, milk, and cereal for snacking. what else should i get?

i know nuts are good for snacking on, but unfortunately, i'm allergic.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    blue corn chips and guacamole, are you allergic to all nuts and seeds, if not theres many different kinds of nut butters. sunflower seed butter, pumpkin seed butter. If your bulking get some 2 percent vanilla greek yogurt and eat it right out f the tub. granola is also pretty calorie dense. Dried fruit very caloric but a wee bit gassy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    If you're going for cheap, I'd go with chicken breast for protein and rice for carbs. Pasta is also pretty cheap.

Rice
    Tinned tomatoes
    Any meat on offer
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Eggs is number 1 if you are on a budget; 7 1/2 dozen for 10 bucks at Costco...keep your eye open for specials in the supermarket...I got a pound of lean ground turkey for 4 dollars today.. Pork is also cheap, buy lean boneless pork chops...ham and other lunch meats are full of sodium, nitrates, fillers, etc...not the best choice... Eggs , oats, rice, chicken, ground beef, canned beans, pork, are all good choices...