Eatting back calories?

Options
So I need a bit more insight from some of you with that experience. Why should I eat back exercise calories instead of keeping my normal ~1500 cal intake? If the goal is to maintain a deficit what is/could be the harm in not taking that back in? I am following a Lean Gains approach to my workout/eating plan I hit my macros(for the most part) and I can and will extend my eating window to accommodate extra calories if need be. I just need an ELIM5 breakdown on this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There are two schools of thought on exercise calories. Those who base their deficit off of their TDEE or total daily energy expenditure do not eat back exercise calories. Their exercise is taken into consideration when estimating their TDEE. Those who use the goal MFP sets DO eat back their exercise calories. This is because MFP sets your goal based on the fact that you will exercise, and you will create a bigger deficit so you can allow for eating more calories while still maintaining a deficit. Both methods work. The reason why you would not want to use the MFP method and NOT eat back your exercise calories is that it will likely create a very large deficit. There are several reasons why you might not want a very large deficit. For some it may cause them to be hungry all the time. Others might find that after a few weeks/months, keeping such a steep deficit is too difficult and it leads them to burn out or binge.

There are obvious benefits of a large deficit such as quicker weight loss and less overall time you actually need to maintain the deficit and a lot of new research indicating that those who lose weight quickly are more likely too keep it off. In the end you can make arguments for small, moderate, and extreme caloric deficits. They all have pro's and they all have cons. In my opinion a moderate deficit will probably be the best choice for most people but this is purely my opinion and based only on my own anecdotal experience and observations. I would experiment and see which method works best for you.
  • TheDoughnutTheif
    TheDoughnutTheif Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help and advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also because diets shouldn't be about deprivation. I'm sure like me your long term goal is to lose it and keep it off...the only way that will work is if you're not just running on willpower over hunger ...I follow MFP, when I'm more active I get more calories and I can eat more cheese on my chilli or a larger portion / extra snack

I didn't eat back for a while and found my energy levels affected - I wasn't fuelling my workouts properly....it's a balancing act
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Because the winner here, eats the most while still losing weight.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Because the winner here, eats the most while still losing weight.

This is really key for me! I strive to find the balance where I can eat the most amount of food in a day I possibly can, while maintaining a 1.5lb per week weight loss. I'm there, but in about another 5lbs, I'll be striving for 1lb per week, so it will take a few weeks to find the balance again. :)
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back some, but not all of my workout calories. It really just depends on how I feel that day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you do a significant amount of exercise you really need to take that into account when working out your calorie balance.
    Whether TDEE method (estimating an average amount in advance) or MFP (eating back estimated exercise calories after the event) is down to personal preference.
    As my daily calorie burns vary enormously (zero to 3000 - I cycle) the MFP method suits me best and worked perfectly both during weight loss and now maintaining.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I eat back half my exercise calories, because I don't trust that MFP calculates them accurately! It has worked so far for the most part. You do need to replenish your body after exercise, I think it's pretty important.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I use MFPs calories and I don't eat back any of my exercise calories ever. I'm too afraid to gain weight by doing so.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight by doing so. You need to eat back some of them! You're already eating at a deficit so burning all those calories on top of the deficit is unhealthy.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    On top of the good advice already given here, remember that calories are fuel. If we're talking about a small calorie burn with slight exercise, its probably not a big deal to add back extra calories. But I can't imagine putting my body through, for example, a 5 mile run or an hour on the elliptical without giving it more fuel to keep going.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A banana will give you that or if youve eaten some carbs within the last few hours then you wont need more fuel. Not for an hour anyway. I will eat back if im hungry, but dont bother if I am not.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My doctor & dietician told me not to eat exercise calories because of 2 things:
    1 - most people underestimate what they eat
    2 - most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned

Those pretty much cancel each other out for most people.
    Once in a while I'll eat back part of my exercise calories if I'm really hungry, but it's not an everyday thing.

They also told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight in calories, which I did for months until I hit a plateau, then I dropped another 50-100 cal at a time so I'd start losing again. Right now I'm aiming for 165 lb (no less than 150) and 1400 cal.

51637601.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Almost every single delicious one ..

Actually that's a slight lie ...tracking weekly I tend to have about 500 calories left over from workout / activity calories ...but I eat back about 2500 exercise calories weekly (from my fitbit / HRM) because I follow the MFP way and not to eat them back is, in my opinion, self-defeating long term

At the end of the day, the one who eats the most and still loses weight wins
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic, but how do you put the little tracker in your signature? (MKEgal)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Like others have said, you eat them if you don't factor them into your deficit and have an aggressive one already. That's pretty common when factoring calories the MFP way (and is how the MFP tool works, since with its guided goals exercise is not taken into account). For you, it might not apply, depending on how you came up with the 1500 goal. I don't currently eat back exercise calories, but take my exercise into account when setting my custom goal.
    MKEgal wrote: »

As I've said before, I find this rather presumptuous, because it's not the case for everyone, and without knowing someone, how can you say it's the same for them. When I started I was doing 1250 (my goal is 120, so your D&D may have said that was too high, certainly not too low) and eventually started doing a lot of exercise--long bike rides and half marathon training. I lost what I was scheduled to eating back the calories, so it seems I was calculating them correctly and not underestimating my foods. Thus, if I'd done what you recommend, I've have been netting far less than 1250, and chances are it wouldn't have been the best thing in the world (or perhaps it wouldn't have mattered, but it hardly seems a good idea or necessary). So I find it problematic that you consistently recommend this without taking into account how aggressive people's goals already are or how much they are meeting them or doing enough exercise that it's not just incidental.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MaryCS62 wrote: »
    Completely off topic, but how do you put the little tracker in your signature? (MKEgal)

You have to manually add it. It used to be automatic and they might change it back again, who knows. I liked it, but not enough to manually add it to my posts.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

Once in a while I'll eat back part of my exercise calories if I'm really hungry, but it's not an everyday thing.

They also told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight in calories, which I did for months until I hit a plateau, then I dropped another 50-100 cal at a time so I'd start losing again. Right now I'm aiming for 165 lb (no less than 150) and 1400 cal.

51637601.png

I think you can very accurate if you weigh everything and you can guarantee I'm eating some back depending on the activity.