Looking for friends that are interested in organic, local, and non GMO foods :)

Options
Hello MFP'ers!

Like the title says, I am looking to open my friend group on here to include those interested in local, organic, non GMO whole foods. I feel this is a great way to lead your nutrition and healthy lifestyle, and it is fun to talk to others who feel the same way. To me, good health and fitness involves knowing what you are putting in yours and your families body, not just calorie counting. Who feels the same way I do? I would love to hear from you!! Please feel free to add me as well if you are just curious about this lifestyle, I am looking to post more about it.

Replies

• KrishDaNa
    KrishDaNa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Rhianna my husband I are transitioning to eating more organic and non GMO foods. It is amazing in a bad way what has happened to our food supply.

6ish years ago, I developed an intense allergy to corn, which forced me to switch to a lot of organic foods and natural food sources. Glad I don't have the allergy anymore but it taught me a very valuable lesson on the importance good quality foods.

Share all your knowledge with me. I am learning more and more.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I live down the street from Monsanto, would that make GMO foods local?
  • Chls122
    Chls122 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm with you too! Trying to cut out all the chemicals and fake foods. My husband and I buy mostly all non-GMO food. I have a gluten allergy and since then I have noticed that I react to lots of different grains not just gluten containing ones, I can eat non-GMO corn but cannot handle GMO corn. We also only have grass-fed beef, because we are what we eat ate.
  • mermaidrhirhi
    mermaidrhirhi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    what's the page Kelli? Would love to join!

Thanks for all the support everyone! Glad to know people are becoming aware of what is going on. Feel free to add me if you haven't already!
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am so on board with this!! My boyfriend and I just watched a great documentary called 'GMO OMG' and it was so eye opening. We already tried to eat healthier but are working even harder now to eat local, organic, and sugar free and avoid GMOs as much as possible. We are also trying to eliminate chemicals from our daily lives so I just made chemical free laundry detergent!! It makes me excited to do laundry lol

That was an excellent documentary! I scrolled on this just as I was out the door to our local natural foods store :)

• KrishDaNa
    KrishDaNa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also recently saw the documentary GMO OMG. I loved watching it and learned so much from it.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have organic non GMO friends. My friends sometimes consider me a food militant. Hum.

As a horticulturist our family has grown as much of our own fruits & veggies as possible for a long time. Local is a stroll to garden or orchard eating & preserving excess in season.

Last year we started to raise free range chickens to control the tick population & quail. Apparently quail eggs are a superfood ... brought down my total cholesterol 35 points in 3 months just eating 3-5 eggs a day. Plus they are creamy & delicious little morsels that don't require bread. I put them on roasted veggies, spinach cakes whatever's in the fridge.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hello. I kill my own meat. When it's a pig, lamb, cow or chicken I inspect where it lives. I then kill and process them on site, taking home the meat.

The farmers I work with feed my animals specifically what I request, for example, all of my pigs are supplemented for 3 months with acorns. I also don't take the animal by age, but by weight and fat content, so I get the consistent product I want, every time.

Anyone doing less isn't interested in organic, local, or non-gmo. Namely, posers.
  • HFiit
    HFiit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am quite passionate about eating organic and non-Gmo food as much as I can. Another good documentary is Forks Over Knives. I grew up eating lots of processed garbage and I'm thankful that I was able to see over the years how destructive that lifestyle can be. My husband and I are looking forward to growing our own food. We live in Montana so it is fairly easy to harvest wild game. Give me elk or venison over franken chicken any day. ;)
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest the book, "Seeds of Deception." to all of you. It really opened my eyes to all of this.
  • lynnh2013
    Options
    I am allergic to every chemical, additive, preservative, food color. I must eat organic. I have headaches when I get any chemical. The headaches ware chronic. I still get a headache if we eat out or at friends houses who don't read labels. It took me a while to figure out. I've had them since I was a small child. So I also do not eat processed food.
    I have developed relationships with farmers . I know the people who raise the animals I eat. They are raised in organic fields. Grass fed cows,in wonderful fields of organic grasses. Pigs are raised is an oak tree forest. I am waiting for a pig in march. When he eats enough acorns the time will be right, I'll get a call. I have a hunter friend who barters with me. I get a venison from him every year. He is also a meat cutter. He processes my meat. I have my own free range hens for eggs. My aunt raises turkey.
    I grow organic. What I can't grow, I buy from local certified farms. I have met and gotten to know the gardeners. I feel that is important. I found one that lies. He spotted buying produce at a large wholesale market by a friend who is in the business.. He doubled the price and sold it as organic. People know how allergic I am and watch out for me.
    Yellow number 5 is my worst. It will land me in the hospital. It's in everything. Farm raised fish also. My grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. She and my mother and sisters are allergic to processed foods. We also get hives and have severe reactions to pharmaceutical drugs. My father was second generation Swedish. His family were farmers. My Swedish grandma was pretty much allergic to all chemicals too. She taught me to use herbs to heal with.
    I figured out that I only do well with food my ancestors ate. There has not been enough generations, only two, eating processed food.
  • lynnh2013
    Options
    I no longer eat grain, beans, or any sugars.